• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed pls with soups post op and sugar contents

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Morning all, well with my surgery just 5 days away i was hoping to make some home made soups but as i am having a bad bout of pain i can barely stand up so making my own is out of the window.
My hospital insist on 2 weeks of liquids, so does that mean all my soups have to be clear or can i get some chunkier soups and liquidize them and add some water.
i have a few questions lol sorry to be a pain so early in the morning lol.

1) Is it def no more that 5% sugar per 100% and is that the sugar that is listed under the carbs bit(sorry if i am being thick lol)
2)When i look at low sugar custard and low sugar angel delight they have way over the 5% per 100 grms of surgar,so what is the alternative.
3) Do all my soups have to be clear soups like a consommé kind

Here is one soup i was going to order, blitz and add some water would the ingredients be ok or is this 2 much for the liquid stage.
Take care luv Roch xx

Heinz minted lamb hot pot soup
Ingredients
Water, Potatoes, Carrots, Lamb (8%), Peas, Onions, Concentrated Tomato Puree, Modified Cornflour, Flavouring, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Salt, Spice Extracts, Spice, Herb Extracts, Mint, Colour - Plain Caramel, VEGETABLES: 38%
Go back to the product contents
Nutrition
Typical Values Per 100g Per 1/2 can
Energy - kJ 244kJ 489kJ
- kcal (Calories) 58kcal 116kcal
Protein 2.9g 5.9g
Carbohydrate 8.7g 17.3g
(of which sugars) (2.5g) (5.1g) IS THIS THE ONLY PLACE TO FIND THE SUGAR CONTENT
Fat 1.3g 2.6g
(of which saturates) (0.5g) (1.0g)
Fibre 1.0g 2.0g
Sodium 0.3g 0.6g
Salt equivalent 0.7g

Last edited:
I ring the dieticians and check as reading on here all seem to recommend something different. The clear liquids at my hospital were only for the 1st couple of days.

After that I made soups out of all sort and used those, lentils, turkey, tomato, beans etc. Just 'watered' them down with ss milk if they were too thick.

Good luck x

Just spoke to my team and the info i got was very diff to what i expected.
I am not allowed yoghurt's just yog drinks, only soups have to be consistency of like heinz tomato soup and no angel delight and thin nas custard.
Am very pleased i checked up to make sure i follow their plan 100%

It amazes me how different hospitals are. Each team has different advice.

I was told I could eat anything that would pass through a sieve. So add milk to yoghurts etc to thin them out a bit etc.

I agree there every team seems to be very different in their advice but we all seem to get there, some just appear to be more strict than others. As far as sugar goes Roch, both pre and post op i have always stuck to between 5% and no more than 7% per 100g and yes it is the sugar under the carbs bit. So so excited for you for next week xx

I was given a yogurt the day after my op in hospital... it varies so much place to place!

.x.

Great thread Roch.... if you make anything yummy remember to save the recipe for us who follow in your footsteps hun xx

Very useful thread Roch. I can't believe they don't have a leaflet with all the does and don'ts, can haves and can't haves for each stage. I'll never remember it all when (hopefully) it comes to my turn.
Good luck with your op
x

i have heinz oxtail and take the lumps out, also i have icecream with teaspoon of slimfast powder sprinkled over it, i tryed the slimfast drink didn't like it and it took to long to drink (valuble water drinking time).
sue.

Back