• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food issues that i struggle to control

Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses, its comforting to know others also struggle, knowing that eases my dislike of myself and my behaviour.

I dusted my self off after yesterday and did well today, as I sped past McDonalds, whilst refusing to look at the alluring " come in and eat " sign it did dawn on me that its not what I needed today so was p!eased with myself that I didn't give in as I did in the supermarket.

I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone!

I am due a follow up next week, I will mention to the consultant about CBT, I have considered this before but I am naturally sceptical about it but will try hard not to be, as any help I can get the better. I've read so much on here that they don't address the head stuff as much as they probably should, its so hard to break down old habits isn't it.

The suggestion of the crackers to substitute crisps is brilliant but know it wouldn't work for me. I know what would happen, I would eat the crackers and still carry on longing for the crisps and that wouldn't go away until I had them - I totally know it's all in my head but I truly believe its an addiction and my sensible head tells me to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous, where the winning side of my thoughts does not always win but it does mostly. I will xontine the battle as I am so inspired by the weight loss I see some of you have achieved. I can do this, I know I can but its so hard - so thank you for taking the time to add support for me.

Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses, its comforting to know others also struggle, knowing that eases my dislike of myself and my behaviour.

I dusted my self off after yesterday and did well today, as I sped past McDonalds, whilst refusing to look at the alluring " come in and eat " sign it did dawn on me that its not what I needed today so was p!eased with myself that I didn't give in as I did in the supermarket.

I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone!

I am due a follow up next week, I will mention to the consultant about CBT, I have considered this before but I am naturally sceptical about it but will try hard not to be, as any help I can get the better. I've read so much on here that they don't address the head stuff as much as they probably should, its so hard to break down old habits isn't it.

I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone.

i cant post in the food issues post, will try here

The suggestion of the crackers to substitute crisps is brilliant but know it wouldn't work for me. I know what would happen, I would eat the crackers and still carry on longing for the crisps and that wouldn't go away until I had them - I totally know it's all in my head but I truly believe its an addiction and my sensible head tells me to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous, where the winning side of my thoughts does not always win but it does mostly. I will xontine the battle as I am so inspired by the weight loss I see some of you have achieved. I can do this, I know I can but its so hard - so thank you for taking the time to add support for me.

I also had an issue with crisps pre op, they were my downfall as well as wine. I didn't have either for six months post op and it seems to have helped. I now allow myself a single bag of say walkers squares, or quavers ( the lower fat type crisps). I don't buy multipacks though. My belief is if you are having a good balanced diet you can allow yourself a treat, and that bag of crisps is mine and it's most days I have it. I don't have the urge to then eat loads more, that one bag does it for me and I don't feel guilty about it as the rest of my diet is generally good.

Do you have FA (food addicts) or OA (over eaters anonymous) in the UK? I did OA in the US for a bit and found it helpful. It's a 12 step program like AA. Good to sit and talk with other people who have similar issues. Might be worth looking into...

Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses, its comforting to know others also struggle, knowing that eases my dislike of myself and my behaviour. I dusted my self off after yesterday and did well today, as I sped past McDonalds, whilst refusing to look at the alluring " come in and eat " sign it did dawn on me that its not what I needed today so was p!eased with myself that I didn't give in as I did in the supermarket. I have made a plan with regards to the supermarket shop, in that I am only going to take the correct amount of money for whatever it is that I am buying in a bid to not buy any rubbish whilst I am there - I will post in a week how that has gone! I am due a follow up next week, I will mention to the consultant about CBT, I have considered this before but I am naturally sceptical about it but will try hard not to be, as any help I can get the better. I've read so much on here that they don't address the head stuff as much as they probably should, its so hard to break down old habits isn't it. The suggestion of the crackers to substitute crisps is brilliant but know it wouldn't work for me. I know what would happen, I would eat the crackers and still carry on longing for the crisps and that wouldn't go away until I had them - I totally know it's all in my head but I truly believe its an addiction and my sensible head tells me to get a grip and stop being so ridiculous, where the winning side of my thoughts does not always win but it does mostly. I will xontine the battle as I am so inspired by the weight loss I see some of you have achieved. I can do this, I know I can but its so hard - so thank you for taking the time to add support for me.

What about buying really expensive posh crisps? And putting them into a small bowl or ramekin and savoiring each mouthful?

Yvessa, would love to savour a small amount, and I would, but knowing the remainder was waiting for me would be too much for me I think. Don't think they have an oa in my area, I live in the south west and not alot has made it that far down unfortunately. Been better today, went in the supermarket and no crisps or stuffed peppers for me today, phew!

I just gave it a quick Google, there seem to be several OA meetings in Cornwall. I'm sure there's FA as well.

I know it's easy to say, but try hard to focus on something else. Think of something you always longed to do or to buy, to wear. Make your new focus more important than the foods that got you to the surgeons table in the first place.

Remember, head hunger is the demon.

Good luck

Hmm, to be honest hon, I think its just take it a day at a time. Why not put a smiley sticker on a calendar each day you manage to say no to those crisps. Its a simple thing, but sometimes it can be a helpful visual.

I think to some extent, the demons will always be there..... just now they have significant restraints !

It's taken me all these months to really get the hang of food shopping ! I'm now getting better...... but I still don't always get it right.....

I end up cooking separate meals most of the time for my son, my husband and I. I often get portion quantities for them rather wrong. Working out single portion cooking is rather hard... and shopping for multiple people's single meals is awkward. We're still eating gammon from New Year's day !

Naughty stuff can sneak in and take a bigger hold than you think. The only way to control it (other than never having it) is strict portion control of the naughty stuff.

If I want chocolate for example, I'll have a kiddies mini kinder bar which is 70cal. Or if I want crisps, I'll have a pack of Space Raiders - which is about 80cal from memory.

If I opened a box of Maltesers, I'd keep going back until they were all gone. I'm not going to feed my demons. A treat is one thing - but I NEED control and that means that there is a bottom to the packet and I can't keep going !

Saying that, although I wasnt having too much in the way of snacks / treats - I've had a week of clamping right back to basics.... No snacks and just my meals (which I'm ultra careful with) and copious amounts of tea and fluids (normally really bad at drinking). Already, I'm noticing a massive difference for it.

Finally, I feel totally liberated from the supermarket. I can actually go in and not want to come out with anything other than what I need. I can also happily have chocolate, crisps and any other junk in the house for the rest of the family other than during that two day's pre-cycle when mega carb cravings kicks in. Even I can't stop the demons then....

Give it time. Early days yet. It's also maybe worth having a treat day where you can have something that would normally be off limits... For me - I have one day a week where I'll allow myself carbs (ie rice, pasta, bread or potatoes). I don't very often use it - but I do enjoy a slice of bread and two slices of bacon once in a blue moon on a Sunday morning.

awe my sympathy goes out to you . before my band opp .. every Tuesday before a meeting as id always be early,so id go to mac ds and get a breakfast wrap and a drink , well !!!!! this week (2 weeks after my opp) I went to mac ds and done the same thing only to relies that after the third bit and feeling like crap that andrea you numpty :) your not even supposed to be eating this .. felt awful mentally and physically , threw it away in disgust that 2 week previously I had spent 5000 on an operation to be become thin and health .. so I completely understand where your at and how hard it is to change habits ,, good luck as we all need it and a big hug x

Back