• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Foods after bypass

Hannah2

OK, so the nearer I get to booking a date for my bypass the more I am looking at what things will be like afterwards with regards to foods that I go to for comfort, or enjoy occasionally. I am not 100% sure if some of them are mainly ok to eat after the bypass, or if they are likely to cause dumping (although I know that this differs from person to person). So, if I put some foods here that I am trying to get my head around not being able to eat after surgery - by that I mean that I am getting used to it/dealing with it before the op so I am prepared, would those of you post bypass op please let me know if you are able to eat them.

Please note that these foods do not form the main part of my diet, they are just foods I don't know if you can still eat afterwards ie. don't judge me for this list!!!!

Sausages (low fat/high meat content ones)

Heinz baked beans - normal ones, or do you have to have the low sugar ones? (Yuk - hate sweetener)

A dab of ketchup - is this too much sugar and will cause dumping? (I don't mean a bucketful!)

cheese, or cheese sauce - is reduced fat cheddar ok? Or does it all have to be philli light/extra light etc etc.

Yogurts, not diet yogurts, those that have for example 12% sugar in, is that ok? or does it need to be lower sugar to prevent dumping? examples would be rachels low fat, activia intensely creamy (I eat these on slimming world)

ice cream, or sorbet? are these too high in sugar?

Am I doomed if I don't like drinks/food that contain sweetener?

What about tomatoes post op? Are they tolerated?

Fruit? Is that too high in sugar? Or are apples/oranges/strawberries still fine?

That is all I can think of at the moment, but I am sure there were more in my head but I cant remember!

Your question is a fair one, but like you said each person is different for me I love fruit but if I eat more than 2 pieces a day it goes thru me like a run away train! Ive had sausages but 1 is plenty sometimes 1/2 more
ice cream had the odd dessert spoon serving but now too sweet for me not had sorbet yet had some fruit lollies but as much as I likedit the sugar was high so its a rare treat
dont like red/brown sauce much before and feel the same way now can take it orleave it
beans, again very small serving just fills me up I do buy the reduced sugar ones
yogurt, I do try to go low sugar liberate is a nice one but I have been know to buy any other brand as I will only ever have one a day so if its a little high in sugar I can reduce sugar elsewhere in my diet that day
chesse sauces notreally come across this yet did have some macaroni chesse liked it but a little goes a very long way!
Anyway thats my thoughts on the matter all you do when the time comes is see how you feel about food the things I thought I might miss I dont ....other than having a few drinks with friends, im such alightweight these days 1 sniff of a barmaids apron and im a goner!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply, it really does help!

I know that the bypass is best for me but I get moments of panic that maybe if I got the sleeve I would still be able to eat certain things ........ But then that is exactly why I should have the bypass because I shouldn't be eating those things! But then I wonder if I will hate myself for preventing myself from being able to eat certain things!

It is like I am trying to sabotage myself yet again before I have even started!

That's why I had the bypass I wanted the best and give myself no reason to continuing eating the way I was before that's the price I was more than willing to pay to give myself the best start and future possible I can have the foods I like but tiny amounts so I enjoy it more because if that... Does that make sense?

Just thought I would give my account based on below as I have tried & tested a few things - although I had mini bypass so slightly different!

Sausages (low fat/high meat content ones) - I have eaten butchers sausages, 1 is the limit.

Heinz baked beans - normal ones, or do you have to have the low sugar ones? (Yuk - hate sweetener) - Don't eat them so I'll skip this one!

A dab of ketchup - is this too much sugar and will cause dumping? (I don't mean a bucketful!) - Not caused an issue at all

cheese, or cheese sauce - is reduced fat cheddar ok? Or does it all have to be philli light/extra light etc etc. - Cauliflower cheese is my favourite, no problems, had low fat cheese too no probs.

Yogurts, not diet yogurts, those that have for example 12% sugar in, is that ok? or does it need to be lower sugar to prevent dumping? examples would be rachels low fat, activia intensely creamy (I eat these on slimming world) - I enjoy mousses & normal yoghurts, big ones (muller size) are very filling

ice cream, or sorbet? are these too high in sugar? - I've had a solero, was fine

Am I doomed if I don't like drinks/food that contain sweetener? - No, but it is a little harder, you'll lean towards water!

What about tomatoes post op? Are they tolerated? - I can handle them

Fruit? Is that too high in sugar? Or are apples/oranges/strawberries still fine? - I eat fruit every day, strawberries are my favourite. Not got around to trying a banana though, not sure how much of that I could eat.

Best of luck xx

Thank you Tia, that really helps

Back