• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No Go Foods Post Op ?

Undecided

OK, I think I'm nearly all questioned out lol but one more thing (for now !)

I am a bit of a carb addict. I don't eat meat or fish at all, and I recall from the first meeting at the hospital that carbs can be a problem after surgery, soooooo my question is :

A. what carbs (or any foods in fact) can you no longer eat ? ( I love pasta, potato, and cereals - in fact these, plus bean burgers are what I mainly live on !)

B. do you find your tastes have changed and you eat things now that you didnt eat before ?

Since my surgery I have found that I no longer eat carbs. Beforehand would love to eat all the usual pasta, potatoes, rice, bread etc but now find that I hardly eat any, makes me tired and weighs me down so took it completely out of my diet. Apart from that I have found that I can't seem to eat any chicken, crave absolutely no junk food or sugary stuff and pray that this doesnt go away :))

Carbs that I can no longer manage are ..............Pasta/Rice/Bread/Minimal Potatos (about one roast potato)/eggs(any form)/pastry/some veggies I cant manage. BUT and I state a BUT there are tons of food I can eat too ( too many to mention lol), Dont look at the foods u cant eat as some ppl can eat bread/pasta & rice etc....but I myself cannot. Its a learning curve xx

Thanks. Am just trying to prepare myself. Wish I'd had more surgery notice. I'd have had a big bowl of pasta lol

None of the above.. Although in all honesty i always go meat first, then veg then if any room round to the mash :)

Unless of course i'm having a sandwich for my meal, or a piece of toast... or an egg custard tart..... or a very very rare jacket potato :) I love carbs too, however i do try to moderate... Oooh and i do enjoy my cereal in the morning and sometimes in the evening if i'm feeling peckish...

Stuff it, i just like food :) and it likes me :) xx

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't sound as if you have done enough research for dealing with your surgery post op from reading some of your threads. I understand this has happened quite quickly for you and you haven't had many hospital appointments, but the onus is on you now to research research research so you are equipped to deal with what is in all honesty a major life changing surgery.

Post op, you may well be physically able to eat a high carb diet, most bypassers can. For the first 4-6 months you'll most likely lose a fair bit of weight too regardless of what you eat, but after that golden period if you carry on eating a diet high in simple carbs (White pasta, White/brown bread, White potatoes and White rice) then your weight loss will slow down rapidly and then stop, most likely long before you reach goal.

Post op it is important to eat a high protein diet with some complex carbs. protein comes from many places, not just meat and fish, and it is very easy to achieve the right balance on a vegetarian or vegan diet, so long as you educate yourself on what foods are good and bad choices.

What are you going to eat when you come out of hospital? You probably won't feel up to shopping or cooking, so getting stocked up on the right foods now would really help. Do you understand the early post op diet? Do you have people around you who can help and support you for the first few weeks?

If you can honestly say that you are ready, not just emotionally etc but with knowledge and preparation, then I wish you well. If not, then it wouldn't hurt to postpone the surgery for a few weeks while you do the research.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Undecided,

Hmm...up until I was 6 weeks post op the only carbs I could tolerate were rice cakes and thin mashed potato because everything else got stuck. Now I can eat most carbs (excluding sugary stuff) in moderation.

Your dietitian should provide you with a post-op diet sheet. It basically tells you what you can eat at each stage of recovery (clear fluids - free fluids - purée - mashed - soft). It should also have a list of foods you should permanently avoid.

Hi shelbell

When I started this a year ago I asked for the lapband.

I was accepted for surgey at the end of December last year - as a bypass patient. The meeting went something like this - "ok you've hit your weight loss target, we will accept you for surgery. But we think the lapband would be a watse of time. It would be for the bypass. Any questions ?

This is quite a lot to take in, and I mentioned stomach problems I was having in case it would cause any problems. He said he would give me a gastroscopy, then he got his things together and went to the next room to see someone else. I would get a letter with the date of when he was doing it.

In the meantime the stomach pain got worse. I had already been referred for an endoscopy anyway, so I went and got it done. If there was anything that needed treating, I didnt want it to cause any delays, so wanted it checked ASAP. This was in January. The symptoms I was having were symtoms that could be related to something fairly serious, so I was a bit worried. I couldnt really think about anything else.

Anyway in the January they found a growth in my oesphagus. These are apparenlty very rare, and tend to be cancerous. Another family member had recently died from this type of cancer. They removed it there and then, and sent it for biopsy. I was lucky, and it was benign.

Shortly after I got the gastroscopy appointment through. By now I'd had a bit of time to do some research and had some questions. I went to the appointment (in Feb / March ?). Can't remember the exact date right now. Anyway when I got there it wasn't the consultant I had my meeting with, it was another guy. I didnt know if he knew why I was having the procedure, or if I was just one of a number of patients referred to him. When he asked me to get weighed, then told me off for gaining some weight, I realised he must at least know why I was there. But I didnt recognise him as one of the bariatric consultants I had seen in pictures, or the one at the initial meeting. He then rushed through the procedure and while i was still trying to get the blood out of my mouth asked "any questions?". I asked if the growth they had found in January had returned. He said no. I didnt know if I could ask him about the procedure. I didnt know if he knew anything about it. I was still very uncomfortable from the procedure, and a bit annoyed at how rushed it had been compared to my last one (the nurses even commentated on him being in a hurry for dinner). I also didnt feel able to talk to him after his lecture on gaining weight. He seemed to be the sort of person who thought big people should just get of their lazy ar***.

After I left his room, I had to sign a form about the procedure. When I read it it said that I had a minor hiatial hernia (he didnt tell me this). There was a box for him to tick to say how it went. One of the boxes was "patient very comfortable. Talked happily during the procedure". The other boxes mentioned things like mild discomfort. He had ticked the first box. I was a bit annoyed about this. It was basically a lie, that showed he had taken his time and made me confortable. I dont think he did. And I certainly wasnt talking happily throughout the procedure.

ANYWAY ... when he weighed me, he said he didnt know what would happen because I had gained weight. I didnt know I was getting weighed on that day, and to be honest had been more concerned with making sure the growth wasnt back, than whether or not I'd gained a few pounds. I decided not to think too much about it, until I got my letter confirming it was ok to go ahead, and when the date would be. I didnt want to get my hopes up, or worry myself about it until i had an answer either way. Then at my next appointment (if I was ok to go ahead), I could try again to ask my questions.

In March the surgery got pushed to the back of my mind again with things that happened. (I wont go into this again, but its been mentioned before).

The next thing I got was a call saying can you come in in 10 days time. No letter. No 6 weeks notice. No meeting with the consultant. No one to answer my questions.

This is where I currently stand. Yes I dont feel fully prepared. The process didnt happen the way I thought it was going. There was little or no opportunity to speak to the consultants. In fact I've never met the man who will do it. I found out his name by calling the dietition. I expected a definate confirmation it was going ahead first (if nothing else). I thought there would be a chance to ask questions once this happened. I think these are important steps.

You asked "Do you understand the early post op diet?". From my own research, yes. But I have never been given a copy of one. Should I have ?

Yes I've done research, but you don't always find all the info you need. Or not all at once. Sometimes you dont want to read TOO much into the risks when you arent even sure you will get the surgery, or its not the surgery you had initially asked for. Or you know it's the only way forward, but don't like the idea or re-arranging your internal organs. Or if other people can lose weight normally and not have food issues, why can't we all ? It must always be a last resort. You should always exhaust every other option. You should have chances to speak to the people concerned. You should be able to ask questions right up until the day of your surgery. If you want to. If you need to. If it helps you.

When you say the onus is on you. Yes it is. But the medical profession also play a part. Some of the risks I've heard about lately were never mentioned. And they are BIG risks. When deciding if the option you didnt initially select is right for you, you should be made aware of ALL of the known risks. Not everyone is familiar with the internet. Not everyone has hours to spare trawling forums / google / youtube.

In fact recently someone on here said not to. Just look at the before and after pictures. I dont think it's good to avoid any mention of anything negative. I'm trying to do my research by the means I have available. Yes people who asked for this op will have had more time to prepare. As with those who got confirmation that it was definaltey going ahead, and even better if you got a few weeks or even months notice it was good to go. I didnt get that. I'm just doing the best i can with the time and resources I have.

I dont want to miss the only opportunity I might get, but I always don't want to go in feeling like I didnt ask everything I could before hand, and regret it afterwards.

Hi Undecided,
If you don't want the meat and fish and are stuck for idea's, try typing into Google "Foods High in Protein". You will be surprised what you can pack away and still remain high protein.
I would like to say that I struggle with something but so far everything I have tried as not proved an issue. I tried a few Baked Beans today and that was fine.

Why not call the hospital on Monday, and ask to speak to the surgeons secretary. Explain that you don't feel that you have been given enough information to prepare you for the surgery, and would like to meet with a member of the team, preferably the surgeon, before the op to go through the details. Even a phone consultation that was arranged for you so you can make a list of questions you want answered.

I understand that you don't want to miss this opportunity, but I would be amazed if they stopped you from having the op because you wanted to be fully informed.

I was given a folder full of info a good month before surgery with lots of info on post op diet, the stages back to normal eating, safe exercising, what happens on the day, post op checks etc.

I hope I didn't offend you with my post, I would hate you to come back post op and say 'what have I done?' and be disappointed no one had said anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Shell

Thanks. I probably will.

I havent had any of that. Maybe with normal amounts of notice you do. No sure.

The only info I've been given so far about the post op diet is a two page handout telling me to have 6 meals per day and reccommending a few types of food. I've found most of it out from here. But I will be seeing the dietician whilst I'm in hospital for the op.
Even though I've seen the bariatric team lots of times I do sometimes panic that I'm not prepared. I think it's natural to feel that way. But I've researched it all so much that I think I'm going to be fine.

Undecided, you need to figure out if you are emotionally ready to have this surgery. Sounds like you've been through a lot lately. If you need to put it off for a few weeks there's no harm in that. But if you're ready and just having the usual pre-op nerves then try to calm down and just continue to educate yourself. I'm making sure I have a freezer full of pureed food and a fridge full of dairylea triangles , NAS squash and lots of sugar free jelly. I don't want to have to think about preparing food when I first get home.

Hi yorkiegal

We didnt get any of that. I've had no info at all from the hospital about post op eating. Just a mention in the group talk right at the beginning that it would be liquid for so many weeks etc.

I'm spending the next few days reading everything I can. I think my problem is that I need to have seen every article / watched every video etc. I dont want to feel like I've missed any info. Thanks.

lol i'm the same. i have to know everything. Giving up control is a huge issue for me and lets face it, allowing someone to operate on you is giving total control to them.

Back