• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Foot Drop

oodles83

Hi Y'All

I was going to post this on my thread but figured it's a general thing so I thought I'd post it in the general forum.

For the last few days I've noticed I've been walking all funny-like. Almost like I had a limp but without any painful reason. I figured it was because the shoes I wear for work are uber flat. Today I realised my problem is that I can't lift the toes on my right foot upwards. I can bend the foot down, point my toes, no problem. But I can't bend my foot up. And because of that, my right leg feels weaker and kind of tingly at the top of my right foot. I realise I've been walking funny because I can't bend my right foot up and therefore can't walk on my heel. So I've been walking normally on my left leg, but have to lift my right leg up further in order to plant the foot flat on the ground with each step. Otherwise my right foot would drag and I will fall over. Very attractive.

I asked Dr Google what was the issue and apparently it's called Foot Drop. It's very common with people who have lost a lot of weight because of the newfound ability to cross their legs when they're sat down. The nerve which allows the foot to lift is quite delicate and just under the skin behind the knee, so if you are a relatively new leg crosser, as I am, with increasingly knobbly knees, the bottom knee can damage the nerve in the top leg. And you end up hobbling around like I am currently, either dragging one of your feet behind you or half walking, half marching.

So I'm just posting this to inform everyone! I had never heard of this possibility. I'm going to stop crossing my legs and hope it gets better, but it could take weeks for the nerve to repair.

How annoying!!

:dooney:

What a coincidence... My neuro said this to me last Saturday when I complained of the self same thing and yep he mentioned the leg crossing. I am to be fitted with a splint to keep my foot up!

Just goes to prove you learn something new everyday

Get it checked by the gp hun..... i went and got my dropping foot checked back last lol the doc did lots of pushing and pulling and tests to check if i was deficient in anything but it turned out to be my knee joint rather than my foot... its annoying to say the least, tripping over all the time is no fun....having to lift your leg to compensate is wearing too good luck hope it gets better soon x x

Hi Y'All I was going to post this on my thread but figured it's a general thing so I thought I'd post it in the general forum. For the last few days I've noticed I've been walking all funny-like. Almost like I had a limp but without any painful reason. I figured it was because the shoes I wear for work are uber flat. Today I realised my problem is that I can't lift the toes on my right foot upwards. I can bend the foot down, point my toes, no problem. But I can't bend my foot up. And because of that, my right leg feels weaker and kind of tingly at the top of my right foot. I realise I've been walking funny because I can't bend my right foot up and therefore can't walk on my heel. So I've been walking normally on my left leg, but have to lift my right leg up further in order to plant the foot flat on the ground with each step. Otherwise my right foot would drag and I will fall over. Very attractive. I asked Dr Google what was the issue and apparently it's called Foot Drop. It's very common with people who have lost a lot of weight because of the newfound ability to cross their legs when they're sat down. The nerve which allows the foot to lift is quite delicate and just under the skin behind the knee, so if you are a relatively new leg crosser, as I am, with increasingly knobbly knees, the bottom knee can damage the nerve in the top leg. And you end up hobbling around like I am currently, either dragging one of your feet behind you or half walking, half marching. So I'm just posting this to inform everyone! I had never heard of this possibility. I'm going to stop crossing my legs and hope it gets better, but it could take weeks for the nerve to repair. How annoying!! :dooney:
that's so interesting! Never heard of that before.

Oh god how weird!!
I can actually double cross my legs now, my foot wraps around my calf muscle..thankfully my feet are still working.

I hope you get it sorted..

I was able to double cross (in some trousers lol). It was a great day when I did it!!

I already see an improvement. I had to lay out flat on the sofa last night to stop myself from crossing, but this morning I do see a difference. I can lift my toes a little bit. It takes a big effort! Like when your foot's asleep and you try to wiggle your toes. I've ordered my brace to speed things along. Still walking weird but it's all fine!

Back