• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slightly odd question......

Maggie5

I am just over 5 ft 3 and am currently 17 st 4 lbs.
I am an amputee..I have an above knee amputation.
So.....how do I find out my true BMI? obviously if I had my right leg I would weigh much heavier? will my doctor take that into account when I go see him?
Being this heavy is making it difficult for me to get around. I had a knee replacement on my left knee two years ago and have put on a stone and a half since then. It's a vicious circle, I can't walk too far because of the weight and I can't loose the weight as my excercise i got from walking is getting harder and harder.

I have tried every diet in the book over the years and feel surgery is the right step to take for me.

Am wondering if the added problems I have would help me to qualify for surgery? this weight is not helping my knee replacement and putting pressure on my other joints. Any opinions welcome!

Hi Maggie,

I would think that your problems will help you qualify, my joint problems certainly did.

I'm not sure how you would go about finding your correct BMI, sorry, maybe your GP can help?

Good luck anyway :)

Shel

Hi Maggie welcome to Mini's

As Shel has said, I would imagine that your mobility problems would help in your case for securing funding. I have no idea whether you would have to calculate your BMI in a different way, or whether it will be even relevant in your case. Having said that, going by your height and weight your BMI is 42.9 which would be enough to qualify you for surgery in some PCT's anyway.

Have you discussed it with your GP yet? THat has to be your first port of call as he/she needs to be the one to refer you for surgery.

Good luck in your Journey hun x

I would of thought your BMI is from what you weigh now, the fact you have a leg missing does not alter the fact as they cant say "well if your leg was there it would be lower" if this makes sense? I also think in your situation the surgery would help you as the more weight you lost the better your mobility would be. Good luck and I hope they get it sorted for you chick..xx

Hello Maggie welcome to minimins.

HI
and welcome
I woudl get an appointment with your GP to ask them all the questions I am sure it does not make any difference and as teh other shave said your BMI is above 40 anyway
good luck
x

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm sure a leg must weigh quite a bit.......and if i had it, my BMI would be even higher, which is why i'm curious as to what my gp would put it to be at. (am I making sense!) I have an appointment to see him tomorrow so I will see what he says.

Hi Maggie welcome to mini's you couldnt have wandered into a better place. Good luck tomorrow at the GP's please keep us up to date

Saw my doctor today, at least he listened! he was unsure about the criteria for funding but said he would write to who he needed to to find out how we would go about it. He will let me know when he has heard back.
So.....first step on the very long ladder I guess.

Sounds promising :)

Back