• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

FOR ALL YOU GASTRIC SLEEVERS!!!

Hey everyone! Would really appreciate some advice (I'm a pre-opper).

a) did any of you self fund? If so, where did you go & was it expensive? Would you recommend the surgeon?

b) is it a stand alone procedure? I need to lose about 9 stone. Is this possible with the sleeve.

c) do any of you have regrets?

d) is there much scarring?

e) any other tips/advice?

Thanks so much everyone! Tandy. Xo

I didn't self-fund, I was lucky to get the op on the NHS as I had several co-morbidities.

It is a stand alone procedure and I have lost a total of 173 pounds, 123 of them since the surgery.

I have no regrets whatsoever.

Minimal scarring - they blend in nicely with my stretch marks!

My main tips would be to listen to what your surgeon and team tell you and follow their advice. I can honestly say that I have stuck to the 'rules' completely and have had a great success. I also suggest that you make sure you incorporate exercise asap.

I have gone from a size 30 to a size 8 and have been happily maintaining for the last few months.

Good luck x

Hey everyone! Would really appreciate some advice (I'm a pre-opper).

a) did any of you self fund? If so, where did you go & was it expensive? Would you recommend the surgeon? I had mine on the NHS,

b) is it a stand alone procedure? I need to lose about 9 stone. Is this possible with the sleeve. lost 3stone before opp, lost 5st since opp 3months ago and still coming off

c) do any of you have regrets? only wish i had done it sooner,

d) is there much scarring? not at all, 5 1inch scares

e) any other tips/advice? stick to the rules, having the sleeve is a tool work with it.

Thanks so much everyone! Tandy. Xo
Good luck Dolly.xxx

Hello.

I paid for my op myself. I went with Cosmetic Bliss and Dr Cierny. I flew to the Czeh Republic and I highly recommend this group. I know there are others on here that used Cosmetic Bliss and no one ever has a bad thing to say about them. And believe me, I tried really hard before heading over there to find any little piece of dirt on them. It just doesn't exist, everyone who has used them have been very happy.

Bariatric Surgery | Obesity Surgery | Weight Loss Surgery | Cosmetic Bliss

I love my sleeve and have no regrets what so ever...only that I didn't do this 10 years ago!

There's no aftercare like band fills, etc. and you continue to digest food normally unlike the bypass.

I have very tiny scars. I think the biggest one is only 3 stitches, the rest are just 1 or 2 stitches eaches. Its all done by key-hole surgery.

I have lost just over 5 stone since my February op and hope to lose another 2 stone. I know people who also used this company that lost over 11 stone with their sleeve, so your desired weight loss should be achievable.

Just shout if you have any more questions. I love talking about Cosmetic Bliss. Tell Deb and Michael that I sent you.

:)

Hi

I had my sleeve done under the NHS on 21/05/2011. To date I've lost 3st 13lbs and am really thrilled! :)
Good luck with your op x

i had my sleeve done on the nhs ,

it was designed to be a two part procedure the first being the sleeve to get the patient to a safe weight to have a full bypass but is now offered as a stand alone procedure as it has been getting great results on its own,

no regrets apart from not having the sense to seek help sooner ,

i have hardly a scar to see

just work with the tool the surgeon has given you and follow the advice your team has or will give you

as for the results i have now lost 13,1/2 stone since 28th October 2010
i love my sleeve

i think you are all fantastic and hope i can loose as much, as i am wanting the sleeve also.
only time will tell

lindy62

a) did any of you self fund? If so, where did you go & was it expensive? Would you recommend the surgeon? NHS

b) is it a stand alone procedure? I need to lose about 9 stone. Is this possible with the sleeve? Yes, I lost 16st 12lbs

c) do any of you have regrets? Only that I didn't do it sooner

d) is there much scarring? You have to look very closely

e) any other tips/advice? You will only achieve what ever effort you put in, it's not a cure, just a helpful tool to work with.

i'm waiting to see about the sleeve, i love this site, the more i read the more i want it done... you are all an insperation

I had Lap sleeve gastrectomy 18 months ago, it was self funded and done by Prof. Basil Amorie in manchester through Healthier Weight. I've lost just over 7 1/2 stone and its the best thing I've ever done.
Good luck in your quest, make sure you do your research if your going private. I would certainly recommend Heathier Weight, they have been fab with me.
take care
donnax

Hi Tandy, i too want a sleeve and will have to go private, when i can afford it. Cosmetic bliss are on my short list, and so is this company;

Gastric Sleeve, Bariatric Surgery, Godveerdegemstraat Zottegem

Its about the same price as CB (maybe about £500 cheaper), but i can get the train all the way from Devon. CB fly from Stansted which is a nightmare for me from Devon. Also, i like that they have clinics in the UK, and the surgeons are registered here.

Having said that, if i lived nearer to Stansted airport, i would probably use CB as the hospital stay is longer.

I am another "sleever" on the NHS. I convinced my surgeon that it was what I wanted. Comparing my experience to the bypassers on this group, I think I recovered faster, was able to eat normal food sooner (if only in very small amounts) and my only long term medication is iron tablets. No multi vitamins and no B12 injections My rate of weight loss, post op is slower and have lost 10Kg in the 6 weeks since my surgery, but I had lost over 40Kg before, so I'm not concerned and am enjoying being less that 20 stone for the first time in more than 20 years.

Remember that we are now in an era of "informed consent". Make sure you are well informed before you give your consent.

HTH
Chris

Hi Chris

Can I ask how long ago you got your sleeve done? I have a choice between bypass (surgeon recommend) and sleeve ( my choice). So anything you can tell me would be great :)

Thanks in advance :)

I had my sleeve on the 30th of June. I had lost 41.5Kg with diet and exercise from the begining of February, before I had my op. Today, the 7th of October, I have lost a total of 59.5Kg.

When you read the journeys of bypass surgeries on here, you read of tiredness, dumping, hair loss, vitamin B12 injections and all sorts of other issues associated with it. I have had none of these with my sleeve. Maybe I am just lucky.

My consultant had me back home within 24hrs of my op. My wound sites were super glued and with his permission I was back in the pool within 2 weeks (with waterproof dressings) and back in the gym within 6 weeks.

Before my journey started I was on blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, cholesterol meds and had sleep apnoea. Now, I take Omeprazole and Iron tablets daily, nothing else. My diabetes may not be cured, but my diet controls my sugar levels and I do not need medication.

I firmly believe that for me, the sleeve was the right way to go. But, it is just an adjunct along with diet and excercise. It is just a part of the life changes you have to make, a very significant one, but it only works if you work with it.

Do not hesitate to contact me again if I can help further.

Chris.

Thank you for replying. I like the fact that with the sleeve you more or less just get on with life. Also a big thing for me is getting more nutrition from food. I have changed my diet so much over the years to reflect that. I just need to eat less which I feel the sleeve would help me do.

Thanks again :) :)

a) did any of you self fund? If so, where did you go & was it expensive? Would you recommend the surgeon? NHS

b) is it a stand alone procedure? I need to lose about 9 stone. Is this possible with the sleeve?Yes, I lost 16st 12lbs

c) do any of you have regrets? Only that I didn't do it sooner

d) is there much scarring? You have to look very closely

e) any other tips/advice? You will only achieve what ever effort you put in, it's not a cure, just a helpful tool to work with.

OMG !

I'm so going to keep coming back to this post when i eventually get funded and on my way.

You are a true inspiration.

Andy

Back