• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm booked for my Sleeve with Ammouri 26th June!!!

CamperLou

Hi everyone, I thought I would let you all know how my day went yesterday as I had my consultation with Dr Ashton and Healthier Weight in Birmingham. He was brilliant, calm, clear, gentle and not once patronised me.
Met A lady first called Emma who talked me through the two main proceedures, Band and Bypass and took some details weight history etc.. Now I wasn't sure about either procedure, I felt the band wasn't enough control but was worried about having my bowl cut in the bypass. (My mum nearly had a heart attack when she saw what the procedure did!) Anyway, then I met Dr Ashton and he seemed to have picked up on this concern and after reading all my notes and asking me some questions he told me about the gastric sleeve. It's basically the first part of the bypass but not going as far as cutting the bowl. I was delighted it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. Here is why he chose this procedure for me (but did say I could have any of them)
1. Even though there is only 10yrs worth of sleeve data around (bypass 40yrs) so far the weight loss is compable to the full bypass
2. The sleeve was introduce as a first stage process for people who had really high BMI with the intention once their weight loss slowed down they would then go back and complete the full bypass, however they did so well they didn't need too!
3. It leaves all your options open to have full bypass, band in the future if you need it - I have no intention of not making this work
4. No dumping or malabsorbtion

Same price though which was a bit of a shame.

Said that Ammouri has done 850 procedures and has had 1 death, this was someone who died 2 weeks later for heart attack who already had condition and it could have happened any time.

So, like a rag to a bull the money has been paid I am booked in next week! Husband was in shock, dad nearly needed his own bypass when i told him how much it was going to cost but generally everyone is excited for me but concerned I have rushed in to it. Rushed ??? I would have had it done tomorrow if I could!

I start the pre op diet on Sunday which looks OK. I've done lighter life so this should be a doddle :D

So anymore 'sleevers' out there who can tell me about thier fantastic results?

I am so excited but at the same time the butterfly's are really kicking in ;)

news_17083.gif

No advice for you but just wanted to say congrats!! :)

No advice but thrilled for you!

Well done, Dr Ashton is my consultant too, and i had my bypass last August with Mr Ammori up in Manchester, i met a sleeve paitent last weekend at a healthier weight support meeting in Birmingham and she's doing very well with her sleeve at 8 weeks post op.

Basil Ammori is a god when it comes to surgery, and like many others here who have had him, you'll be raving about him after your op too.

Good luck

Can't help with sleeve but can assure you that you have the best man for the job. Good luck xxx I have read about the success of the sleeve and it seems every bit as good as the band/bypass. x

Hi Lou,

I had my gastric sleeve op on May 6th and i wouldnt go back and change my decision,and i am not going on to have the full bypass as alot of Americans seem to do.
I have lost a little over 2st since then,the only advise i would say is when you feel full ,stop !!,dont question yourself on how little you seem to have eaten.But it is a re-educating lesson as we all eat with our eyes,I notice now how big a meal looks if i eat out and i think once upon a time i would have eaten all that with no worries,these days i seem to top up the rest of the families plates before i even start lol.

Good luck with your op next friday,anything you want to know please ask if i can help i will.

HI Lou, I have only just returned from Cz where I had my sleeve. It cost £5,00 pounds and I feel great. It will be a week tomorrow since i ahd op. I feel great, have lost 11 pounds so I feel it was the best decision for me. best of luck Jacqui

Hi Camperlou and Wilhelmina.

Looks like we are getting a few gastric sleevers on minis now.I had my op on the 6th May @ Thornbury Hospital in Sheffield and i am happy with the results,every pound lost is lost forever never to be regained (fingers crossed).

Good Luck and please keep us posted.

xx

Good Luck

Back