• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Freecycle as a game

Muttley1900

Some of you may know of Freecycle and you may have one or something like it in your area. For those of you who don’t know of it, the simple premise of it is to reduce what would normally go into landfill, tips etc.

How it works is, you have something you don’t want anymore and can’t be asked to try and sell it at a car boot sale, ebay or take it to the local tip (e.g. an old non flat screen TV) and you advertise it on the local site, sit back and wait for the floods of email responses from people whom are desperate for a free TV (did I not mention – everything has to be free).

I use it, as it is good for the green soul within me, but mainly because I love reading the responses I get when I’m offering something, and believe me, you get some classic responses.

Just this week, for instance, I put an advert up for an old digi Freeview tuner thing (my area went digital over a year ago) – now a new one would cost you say £10 in the shops, but I had floods of responses for this dog eared, clunky Freeview box – okay, the price was probably right (£0).

My all time favourite response was from someone who told me that they was absolutely desperate for one of these, they’ve not been able to watch tv for months. But because they had multiple children and was a very hard up, they couldn’t afford one.

All very sad, and members are discouraged to beg like this, but it went on and on about how hard up they are…

The bit that had me in stiches though, was the auto signature at the bottom of the email…

“Sent from my iPhone”

Some of you may know of Freecycle and you may have one or something like it in your area. For those of you who don’t know of it, the simple premise of it is to reduce what would normally go into landfill, tips etc.

How it works is, you have something you don’t want anymore and can’t be asked to try and sell it at a car boot sale, ebay or take it to the local tip (e.g. an old non flat screen TV) and you advertise it on the local site, sit back and wait for the floods of email responses from people whom are desperate for a free TV (did I not mention – everything has to be free).

I use it, as it is good for the green soul within me, but mainly because I love reading the responses I get when I’m offering something, and believe me, you get some classic responses.

Just this week, for instance, I put an advert up for an old digi Freeview tuner thing (my area went digital over a year ago) – now a new one would cost you say £10 in the shops, but I had floods of responses for this dog eared, clunky Freeview box – okay, the price was probably right (£0).

My all time favourite response was from someone who told me that they was absolutely desperate for one of these, they’ve not been able to watch tv for months. But because they had multiple children and was a very hard up, they couldn’t afford one.

All very sad, and members are discouraged to beg like this, but it went on and on about how hard up they are…

The bit that had me in stiches though, was the auto signature at the bottom of the email…

“Sent from my iPhone”

Maybe that's why they are hard up, lol :rolleyes: xxx

What gets my goat is those that are desparate for whatever you have to offer and then fail to turn up to collect it grrrrrrr

We had 14 bags of old gravel that had leaves soil the lot in it...could have got rid of it ten times over, saved me a trip to the tip, but honestly, what some people want?!?!? :)

We took down our garden fence because it was broken, so I chanced my arm putting the old panels up and could have got rid of them loads of times!!

On the plus side we kitted my daughter out when she got a house from scratch.

Freecycle is brilliant! I've given away loads of stuff - and taken one item back: a chap arrived to collect a decent printer - and admitted he was selling them on ebay! I forcibly removed it from his grubby little arms, and made sure it sent to someone who needed it - a family down the street who had 3 kids studying for exams and theirs had packed in.

The cheek of him.

I love freecycle too, have been addicted for years. It is amazing the things you can get I have been very lucky over the years and it is also the excitment of what your item wil really be like. Have replied to and collected some rubbish that really was ready for the bin, but I said "Thank you Its just what I needed" and left. It is also great fun offering things but have to agree that you do want to shout and swear when the 4 person you offered your item to has not bothered to turn up.
Ahhhh the joys of freecycle at least we are trying to do something positive.

we have 'freecycle' too but its not the same one.... we just leave stuff that we want rid of on the doorstep overnight (or 10 minutes in one instance) and someone always takes it! I came home early from work one day to find someone bunging my old tv (didn't work - busted tube) into the back of their Fiesta. I'd already arranged for the Council to collect at a tune of £15 so was a bit p'd off. Happily Council refunded me...

Some tracksuit bottoms fell out of my OH's holdall when he was returning from footie one day - he'd only been in the house a minute before he realised. When he went back to the car (on the driveway) to check - they were gone! So somone out there is desperate enough to take a worn pair of sweaty trackie bottoms off the ground??? Crazy!

Not so long ago on our local Freecycle site someone was offering a carrier bag full of bags of crisps ....the flavour they didn't like from umpteen multi packs!

We often get food offered here in london, food that is just about to go out of date or has been in people cupboards, there always seems to be someone in need of it.

This weekends replies to me - for the two wooden (walnut coloured) venetian blinds I offered (both are the same length/height but different widths) included:-

1) "I need 3 this size, can I have them?";

2) "I'd like these, but will need you to fit them for me";

and my favourite,

3) "I live at Walnut Hill, so I should have them"

Fantastic.

haha thats made me giggle.... i put a lawn mower on there a couple of years back...... i made it very clear it was broken.. due to the mower going over the lead... so prob with a new lead it will work again.
i had a response and a woman came to pick it up... first thing she said was.... whats happened to the lead... so i told her and explained i had stated this in the free ad. she then said..oh i didnt know it was broken i will speak to my bf and get back to you... hour later woman knocks on door again and says... we will take it from you if you can replace the lead!!...so i said no ive advertised it as a broken mower and its free due to this reason... the lawn mower new is about £90..and all it needs is a new lead which will cost about £8 and somebody who can change a lead.. which i am no good at therefore i brought a new mower.... she then called me a tight...f.....g b...h!! and threatened to send her bf round. at this point my neighbour who was at the time planting some shrubs... came over and gave this lady a mouthfull... it so put me off putting anything else on there... i eventually put the mower back on freecycle and left it outside for a man to collect while i was at work... when i got home the mower had been replaced by a box of quality street and a note saing thankyou :)

Back