• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Full of self doubt

Roccosmummy

As the last days of banded life come to end I'm feeling more and more doubtful of the bypass working for me. I've gone from thinking that if I have been successful in the past ( prior to band problems) then I'm a good candidate for living and working with a bypass..... To now questioning if I'll be the only one it doesn't help.

Nothing is going to stop me going ahead but crikey I feel unprepared and worried.
Is this normal? Am I doubting because of my band experience?

Don't know how your band failed you so can't comment there but assume it was a more a mechanical failure than a getting your head in the right place scenario. I think what you feel is normal I know I felt like it before my op and I still do suffer self doubt 4 month out. I still think this is it for me whenever I stall. Worrying that I have now came to a full stop & that I will be the one that it won't work for. I have battled my weight all my life and think I'm just so conditioned to expect failure with my past record of numerous failed diets behind me.
If your heads in the right place you'll be just fine hun as it will be for the countless others who feel like us too ;) Good luck xx

Last edited:
My low self-esteem causes me to have self-doubts and I’ve failed every diet going so I have the same fears regarding a Sleeve (no date yet).
I presume fears of the surgery not working, are common and down to the fact we have all suffered to lose weight and battled with failures relating to weight and food relationships – Or we wouldn’t be having the surgery in the first place.
My guess is that your nerves are kicking in and in a year’s time you’ll be showing us all skinny Minnie photos! xxx :D

You're normal! Still deciding whether to have my bypass, and still deciding to have fobi ring fitted. Had bypass for nearly 8 months now :confused:

Am packing for my surgery tomorrow (hotel tonight) and am pacing the house taking the longest time to pack ever :confused:

If only life was simpler :confused:

All your doubts are normal.

I spent months getting on the scales seeing the figures go down and still not quite believing it.

You can do this, and you will. xx

Once the weight starts coming off and you see the results, any self-doubt will slowly fade! xx :D

Thank you everyone. I was lucky enough to do well with the band for many years. Due to band issues resulting in complete regain recently I suppose I'm just on a low. The desperation to shed this weight is overwhelming. It's like my whole existence is riding on this revision so failure is such a worry.
You all understand when no one else does :)

Roccosmummy you sound so low, wish I could give you a big hug! It's going to be ok, think positive thoughts. this will work for you because you have made the band work for you - there is no magic wand, you know that, just a tool which keeps us on the right track. You can and you will do this, have faith in yourself x

Thank you everyone. I was lucky enough to do well with the band for many years. Due to band issues resulting in complete regain recently I suppose I'm just on a low. The desperation to shed this weight is overwhelming. It's like my whole existence is riding on this revision so failure is such a worry.
You all understand when no one else does :)

I’m hoping for a Sleeve now (after own research feel more suited to me), but originally wanted a band.

Do you mind me asking what complications you had with a band? Don’t worry if you don’t want to say! J

I understand the self-doubt more than you’ll ever know. I was 32st, got down to 18st, now stuck at 25st 7lb. I too have the desperation and feel my life is on hold pending this surgery!

I’m sure once the surgery is done and the results are seen, all self-doubt will slowly fade as confidence returns! xx :D

I’m hoping for a Sleeve now (after own research feel more suited to me), but originally wanted a band. Do you mind me asking what complications you had with a band? Don’t worry if you don’t want to say! J I understand the self-doubt more than you’ll ever know. I was 32st, got down to 18st, now stuck at 25st 7lb. I too have the desperation and feel my life is on hold pending this surgery! I’m sure once the surgery is done and the results are seen, all self-doubt will slowly fade as confidence returns! xx :D

Here is a link to my first post with a little about my issues!
http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/154729-back-after-9-years.html

In limbo, on hold, waiting, start a new life, these are all terms being used by many of us battling weight. The journey takes over and there's an awful lot of pressure we put on ourselves. I have gone from positive to positively scared and doubting overnight. Glad to hear I'm normal but I wish I could snap out if it !!!
Too much time on my hands and the Milk diet must be screwing with mind ! Lol ;-/

Here is a link to my first post with a little about my issues!
http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/154729-back-after-9-years.html

In limbo, on hold, waiting, start a new life, these are all terms being used by many of us battling weight. The journey takes over and there's an awful lot of pressure we put on ourselves. I have gone from positive to positively scared and doubting overnight. Glad to hear I'm normal but I wish I could snap out if it !!!
Too much time on my hands and the Milk diet must be screwing with mind ! Lol ;-/

I'll have a look, thank you! I'm still finding my way around this site. :)

You are completely normal - or we are all nuts, lol. I jump from positive to scared all the time and I’m nowhere near close to getting a date (guessing it could take 3-4 more months).

Life changing decisions are never easy, fear of failure is my most common reason for self-doubt, but I’m also scared of success! I’ve never been a ‘normal’ size, so have no idea how ‘normal’ people behave or interact, lol… It’s not just food, protein and smaller portions I need to learn more about, I need to learn about ‘real life’, not just hiding away and avoiding all social situations! xxx J

Aww do try to relax. I honestly thing worrying is normal. I was a total worry wort beforehand too. The bypass is awesome, the most amazing tool to weight management. It helps us to keep our heads on straight to eat right. Drink fluids and be more health aware. It is a huge lifestyle change but do not put it off embrace it and move onto the next chapter of your life. You have worked hard to lose all that you have lost and the bypass will help you keep it off and lose the remainder. I know a few that have had the conversion to bypass over Christmas and theirs have gone well and they are home and well. I wish you all the best for your surgery. I look forward to reading your post op updates.
take care
k x

Just had a quick read, Gosh, you have been through the mill!!

I have read Band issues usually start around 18 months after and your story has shown me it can happen and I'm glad I realised that making this choice shouldn't be based on that fact it can be reversible in the future and to make a life commitment.

The positives are that you know you can do this! You can follow diet guidance and can achieve your goals!! :D

I haven’t been told of the milk diet – yet and have been given advice booklets etc on diets to follow… But the milk diet sounds… Errrr lovely, lol ;) I’ll do some more reading on that one! xx

Definitely wise to consider living long term with each of the different surgery options. Be sure to understand what complications can arise and how you would manage them physically and financially.
When I chose a band it was because it was reversible, cheaper and I had a lower BMI than most having wls. I didn't take any notice of negative experiences people had and I refused to have a bad word said about the band. I feel very differently now and I'm annoyed with myself for being so tunnel visioned!

I bet you will be on here next year saying you wish you had done it sooner, the amount of times I have read that on here is nuts!

Stop worrying!!

I had a band to bypass on 3/9/13, had a BMI of 44 and now 33 with 5 st loss.

I cannot believe how much more enjoyable everything is.

I have followed instructions to the letter, which is unheard of for me, and life is amazing!

Just spent 10 nights in Caribbean and never felt I was missing out as can eat and enjoyed a few glasses of wine.

Also feel amazing in a swimsuit! And have lost a kilo on holiday (hubby has gained 2kg!)

It really is the best thing to do. Just put the work in early on and enjoy the journey!!

Doubts are normal and healthy, but once your mind is set you need then focus on being positive, positive that you will follow the rule and get moving and it will happen for you. We are all routing for you. X

Fanks all
I'm focusing on the positives and eager to get this job done and moving my life forward :)

This time next week I'll be recovering from surgery and hopefully heading home. Yay:)

Hi Victoria, just read about your problems. I am a band to sleeve revisioner. I did brilliantly with my band, losing 6.5 stone and going from a 30/32 down to a 14/16 and feeling fantastic. It took me 18 months to lose the weight and then I maintained for 3 years. Life was great. Then suddenly overnight my band tightened up and I could not keep anything down. I lost 1.5 stone in 6 weeks, my clothes were hanging off me but I felt dreadful. I had to have a total defill and having not eaten for so long, I went mad and gained 3 stone in 3 months. In the following 3 years I must have had 25 fills and defills but could not get my restriction right this time around and gained another 2 stone, taking me up to a 22/24. I had optimistically sold all my bigger clothes on ebay so I had to start my wardrobe again from scratch.

Eventually I just said enough is enough and thanks to my wonderful husband (I am a full time mum) he agreed I could have a revision. I am 10 weeks post-op and have lost 31.5lbs. My clothes from when I maintained for 3 years are starting to fit me again and I had a little spend up in the Crimbo sales. If I could lose another stone I would be content and anything over and above that is a bonus.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine, having done well with the band in the beginning.

xxxxxxxxxx

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery.

I think we have all doubt smack us in the face when making life changing decisions.

You are going to do so well.

X

Back