• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lap Band in 5 Days

AndiB29

So it's finally my turn!

I've been working toward this for almost the last year. I started my journey in April of 2010, and now on January 27, 2011, I will finally have my band. I'm excited, scared, nervous, all of those things.

Thus far, I have lost 20 lbs. My goal was to be 250 lbs for surgery, and I am! I hope I will be able to lose 115 lbs after I've been banded. If I could get the doubt out of my mind, I'd be happier. Keep wondering if it will work for me. I know if I use it, it will. So here goes nothing.

Any advice on how to handle the days immediately following surgery?
How about during the hospital stay?
How about just some advice??? :)

Best of luck with op
After make sure you have dome nice bit free yogurt to keep you going.
You have to work really hard even with the band!
Hope it goes well

Hi good luck with your op, I had mine last July, I went into hospital at 7am in the morning and had my op at 11am, the next thing i remember it was 2pm when i woke up. I was quite uncomfortable around the wound area for a day or 2 bt the worst thing was pain from wind. I had a pain in my back which lasted for about a week, i used something called deflatine? which did help.

I had my third fill last week and now have 6ml in a 10ml band and to be honest with you this is the first time i have felt it is working for me.

My best bit of advice to you is to try and stick to the rules that they give you and dont give up keep going for fills until you get a good restriction, because for me its been a long 6 months since I had my op and I have only lost 1 stone but I am only just begining to feel the benefit and ITS GREAT

Wishing you lots of success

Hiya xx Just wanted to say welcome and wish you good luck.
We have a lot of newly banded and experienced banders as well as a few preop , posting on the thread below my signature. Why don't you join us and we can help you out x

Hi Andi, good luck for the op. I agree with Sarah about some deflatine or windeze, I took some 'dry mouth spray' (boots sell it) in with me, and I found it to be a great help. I hated the soluble paracetomol so used my sons calpol instead.

I went in the night before, they came to take me to theatre at 8am and I woke up at 10am, and was ok to go home the next morning. Expect to be a bit sore for a couple of days.

Tbh the best bit of advice I have is to read as many of the posts on here as possible, as they are a great source of info.

Good luck for your op. I went in on the day and went down@ 8am back on the ward by 11 and was home about 2pm.......I used gripe water for wind pain, tbh mine wasnt that bad , didnt need no pain relief once I was discharged from the hosp ( each too their own though, so dont be afraid to ask for some if ur experiencing any pain) for the wind, best advice I can suggest is movement, get up and walk about ( albiet slowly and ur be recovering) but I found this helped wonders too, also please dont expect to wake up and think I am gonna lose tons of weight str8 away , as some ppl ( not all) need quite a few fills before they do start too shift the weight ( a common occurence that some ppl make), and remember too small sips,sips,sips of water all day long, fluids are very important for recovery as well. xx.........Wishing u all the best - Julie xxx

Hi and good luck with the op . I'm having my surgery on the 14th of Feb and cant wait . having my op done in Belgium with Dr Marc focquet . the only thing that's bothering me is the traveling . I live in the north of Ireland and have to drive for 4hours to the airport to get the plane . But it will be worth it . have you guys any advice on traveling after surgery ?

Neen- I don't see a thread below your signature. I'm up for all the help I can get so that sounds great! Thx!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will say, the closer it gets to Thursday, the more I worry about gas. I will definitely make sure I have something for that.

Hi Andi,

I'm 6 days post op from the band..I too was admitted at 7am,in before 12 and then was in and out all afternoon. When i came round,I was in some pain so they gave me some morphine and off i went again :D have to say though, either the morphine or the anesthetic made me vomit later on that evening, but that's just me!

I def think you should get something for the wind - that has been the most difficult and uncomfortable part for me - it lasted around 3/4 days,but got easier with each day.

They recommend that you drink 3 shakes a day plus stock cube, but i was barely managing a whole shake throughout the day so just listen to your body is what i'd say..

I went back to work yesterday - I'm in retail management - and I have to be honest,I prob went back to soon.. after coming home today from work again I feel absolutely shattered and only want to climb into bed!

I'm going to get my wounds checked before another late shift tomorrow, but they seem to be healing very well..just trying to think if foods I can stomach to purify for tomorrow on wards!!

Everyone is of course different..this is just my experience so far HTH :) x

Hi there
I think the band is great so you will get a biased view from me. I think the greatest preparation is realising you will still have to work hard and follow the rules even with a band.I think too many people think it will be the answer without any effort and that's when the disappointment starts. The band will help but it wont do it all for you.
The op will be fine and you will wonder what you worried about. Give yourself time to recover, follow the rules youare given by your team and don't try to rush through your first few days as you will need time to let your body get strong again.
I have just looked at some photos of myself from last year, half way through the year and today and the difference is amazing. I wouldnt have done it without the band but I am reasonably confident i can keep it off rather than doing what I have done lots of times before and put it back on - and more!!!
If you want to ask anything just go agead. The girls and guys on here are fab and will always help out
best wishes to you as you start your journey
Jo XX

Hi and good luck with the op . I'm having my surgery on the 14th of Feb and cant wait . having my op done in Belgium with Dr Marc focquet . the only thing that's bothering me is the traveling . I live in the north of Ireland and have to drive for 4hours to the airport to get the plane . But it will be worth it . have you guys any advice on traveling after surgery ?

See you there then Kevin!

Having my op same day, same place, same channel, same surgeon!

If we are in same hotel, come say hello,, i wont wear the shower cap lol

Friends recommendation but she is being stupid and not following the guidance. We went out last night and she got hammered on 2 pints. I feel it's a waste of time and money if u don't follow it through.

I started the pre op diet on the 31st of December lol, lost 12lbs so far, pity it never stays off then we would have to be here lol

For those who know - if you are staying overnight at the hospital, what did you take with you that was helpful? That you wanted to have?

All i took with me was fave loose pj's to change in to and my phones..then something comfy to go home in the next day..didn't need anything else..couldn't even attempt to read my book and no energy for my iPod!

HTH :D

Back