• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding secured!

AmericanMum

I live in Portsmouth and finished the Tier 3 program last month. I met with the surgery team yesterday and will be definitely having surgery through the NHS route. I'm looking at surgery sometime in January. (New Year, New Me!) I am so happy and relieved!

It's taken me just over a year to get to this point as I had to first start with being referred by my GP to the dietician last September. I had my first appointment with the dietician in October 2014 and now here I am.

In the past year between my time with the dietician and my time on the Tier 3 program I've managed to lose three stone. I still have quite a way to go, but what a relief it is to know I will get there!

Congratulations. You are already doing so well with your weight loss. I'm 6 weeks post op and already know it was the best decision I have ever made.

I had the Mini (Loop) Gastric Bypass my surgeon recommended this in preference to the RNY for me, I didn't want a sleeve or band. Do you know what you are having yet.
We all have different circumstances to take into account so I wont advise you one way or the other that's what the surgeons get paid for.

I started my journey thinking I wanted a band because it seemed the least drastic and my mother had it done back in 2006 with great results.

Going through Tier 3 I completely changed my mind and decided on the bypass. My hospital is participating in the by-band-sleeve study and my surgeon really wanted me to take part in it as in his opinion all three procedures are as good as one another and all produce good results. I told him I need to have say in what happens to my body and want the bypass. He said I'm a suitable candidate for all three ops although on the small side for the bypass, but still suitable because my BMI is over 35. (now down to 37.1 from 44) But after leaving my appointment I'm now wobbling between the sleeve and bypass when the sleeve was never something I wanted to consider. I'm now concerned about malnutrition and hair loss with the bypass when for the past 7 months I was prepared to face those side effects after listening to the surgeon's warnings.

Fortunately I have some time to decide. I have to see the surgery team one more time in the next 3 or 4 weeks. My only concerns about the sleeve are the lack of long term studies on it. And I'm concerned I'll be able to cheat with it.

well done for getting to this point, and getting the go ahead for surgery. I had my surgery in Portsmouth nearly a year ago ( I will be a year post surgery on the 7th october) I had the sleee done and have so far lost 7 .5st and don't regret having it done. I choose the sleeve as I didn't like the idea of the band, and the risk of malnutrition and and deficiencies with the bypass.( i was found to be iron and vit d deficient when my referal went in at the beginng of last year). I had some hair loss with the sleeve but my hair has now returned to the way it was pre surgery. I would say do as much research as you can, and the team at portsmouth don't mind if you ask lots of questions. good luck on your wls journery

Many thanks, natclaire! Still mulling it over and even more confused as to what to do. But I've got time to make up my mind.

Congratulations on your achievement! That's very impressive! Keep up the good work!

Another thing I would suggest or think about is going to a support group if you are able, they are not for everyone, but personally I have and still find them helpfull. I go to one that meets on the third thursday of every month. it really helped pre op and is also helping a lot post op as well. it meets at gunwharf once a month and welcomes everyone whether, pre op or on the other side and have had it done.. let me know if you would like more details and i will give you the details when I am next on the site

I live in Portsmouth and finished the Tier 3 program last month. I met with the surgery team yesterday and will be definitely having surgery through the NHS route. I'm looking at surgery sometime in January. (New Year, New Me!) I am so happy and relieved!

It's taken me just over a year to get to this point as I had to first start with being referred by my GP to the dietician last September. I had my first appointment with the dietician in October 2014 and now here I am.

In the past year between my time with the dietician and my time on the Tier 3 program I've managed to lose three stone. I still have quite a way to go, but what a relief it is to know I will get there!

I've just had a call today offering me appointment in two weeks to see surgeon can't quite take it in! I'm Spire Soton....

Just want to say congratulations on the weight loss and securing fund for your surgery. I had mine in Portsmouth QA last July and next week I'm 3 months out. I don't regret a bit, and you are really in good hands good luck and feel free to ask any question.

Back