• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fuzzy mouth.

Paula Garner

I'm on day 6 of the milk pre op diet and my mouth and tongue feel disgusting. It feels like I have an inch thick layer of fuzz on my tongue. I'm brushing it, but it's starting to get sore. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of it ?

hope you get some answers soon xx

You can buy a toothbrush which has a special surface on it to clean the tongue, try one of these and with mouth wash, you may find you want/need to clean your teeth more often . . .it is one of the things that happens . . .

Also, because you're not chewing, your mouth doesn't produce as much saliva etc and as such your mouth/teeth do not see the same use/action. I did find that chewing sugar free gum helped me (not all milk diets allow it so check with your provider) :)

How are you finding your pre-op paula? Is it just skimmed milk your allowed or are you allowed yogurt? What date is your surgery? Bet your well excieted :) x

It's not too bad Kirsty Jade, it's just boring. The fuzzy mouth and the dizziness is frustrating too. I have 3 pints of semi skimmed milk, two fat free yogurts and a stock cube in hot water a day. I'm also permitted to drink tea, coffee and any other NAS soft drink.

My op is on the 23rd and I have my pre op tomorrow, so not long now :)

Good luck for your op hun you'll have to tell me all the details when you feel up to it...also would like to know what happens at pre-op so keep me posted
And i hope you have a super speedy recovery x

Even now if I go back to low carb high protein diet this returns, and whilst it's gross I know I'm in ketosis and burning fat so try to see it as a smelly positive :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I had the most horrible bad breath on my pre op diet no matter how often I leaned my teeth, my mouth just tasted disgusting constantly.
Luckily it cleared up afterwards, although I find if I have a day where I don't eat properly it comes back.
Hope it's all going well otherwise, not long to go now!
Em xxxx

What about using baking soda to brush your teeth and tongue? Its an old nans recipe but seems to work.

I'm just bored Em. Milk, milk, milk all the time. I was wondering if I could eat some protein, just to have something to chew. Or do you think it would mess it all up ?

When I did lighter life, I used a fresh breath spray that helped a bit, cleaned teeth after every meal and used mouthwash. Also visualising lemons helps with saliva production.

I'm just bored Em. Milk, milk, milk all the time. I was wondering if I could eat some protein, just to have something to chew. Or do you think it would mess it all up ?

Personally I think a bit of chicken (skinless of course) would be fine, lots of people follow a low calorie diet rather than the milk diet, or perhaps try some Weight Watchers soup?
I agree it's so bloody boring isn't it...my saviour was bouillon/oxo cube drinks because I needed something savoury.
Keep at it lovely, you're doing brill :)
Em xxx

Paula Lewis said:
It's not too bad Kirsty Jade, it's just boring. The fuzzy mouth and the dizziness is frustrating too. I have 3 pints of semi skimmed milk, two fat free yogurts and a stock cube in hot water a day. I'm also permitted to drink tea, coffee and any other NAS soft drink.

My op is on the 23rd and I have my pre op tomorrow, so not long now :)

Hiya paula how did your pre-op go today hun? X

It was good. I was there for just over an hour. I saw a nurse practitioner, who went through a big health questionnaire. Then took bloods, BP, sats, heart trace and mrsa swabs (one from the groin and one from nose). I was weighed and BMI recorded.

I then saw the respiratory physio, who went through post op breathing exercises and physical activity. I was back in work by 12.30 :)

Back