• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gained weight

blueeyes

That's right. Less than 5 months out, I certainly didn't expect to have to say that.

I am writing this post for two reasons. One is accountability and the need to say it out loud and acknowledge what I have let happen. The second reason is that I want to illustrate that the bypass IS indeed only a tool. I am living proof. People often expect the weight to magically come off, and to an extent it does the first few months because you're eating so little. But capacity does increase and if you don't carefully manage your diet and remain in control, it is easy to undo the good work. It's great to read about the joys of getting slimmer and the pounds falling off. It's encouraging and inspiring and I love it. But the posts about difficulties are just as necessary and required, in my view.

I recently went through a stressful time in my relationship and life and over the past two weeks I have not manage to focus on my diet. Couple that with the sudden ability to eat anything and everything without limitations, hello pounds gained!!
I have been very upset during these two weeks and clearly went back to food for comfort! No doubt about that.

I also didn't weigh after the first week when it dawned on me that my diet had been poor. Maybe I didn't want to see the gain. Denial is a very close friend of mine from my pre op days. I just closed my eyes and pretended nothing happened. Onto a second week of terrible eating. I don't recall everything, but I know I had 3 ice creams in that week. THREE!

Anyway today I decided to face the music and put a stop to the madness. I have had a day of perfect eating and am getting my focus back. I gained 5 pounds in two weeks. I cried on the scales at Boots and it took everything I had not to go and buy some chocolate for comfort.

The surgery is the beginning and the new stomach is your tool. The rest is up to you. I know that for sure.

Thanks for sharing hun,hurts I know but you are back on track and it will keep us on the straight and narrow!

You're very brave for sharing that.

I hope the stress has dissipated somewhat so as to aid your new found focus.

Well done on today girl. You can do this! :hug99:

Thanks ladies. I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to. It's easy to become a bit complacent and cocky when you consistently lose weight for many months. I let it happen, I recognised it, and now I'm fixing it! :)

thanks so much for sharing this with us. I know all about denial. It stops me from reading food labels and makes the scales in the bathroom turn invisible.
Glad you're back on track now though xx

Well done for such an honest post and thank you for sharing. You are absolutely right, the surgery is only a tool and its oh too easy to slip off the rails and not treat the surgery with the respect it deserves.

Sorry you've had a gain and some personal problems but I hope now that you have realised whats happening you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Staying off the scales when Ive been "naughty" is something Ive been very guilty of in the past which is why I now weigh every day. I know most wont agree that we should weigh every day but for me, it keeps me on the straight and narrow and much better to pull back from a couple of pounds on than a couple of stone on.

Good luck hun, and keep posting for support x

Kat, thanks hun. When people say 'another pound gone forever' they may not realise how easily pounds can come back on. That's why I thought it was important to post this. I plan on getting rid of these in the next two weeks :)

You are very brave to post this and well done for recognising the issue and taking steps to nip it in the bud. With any wls surgery regain is a always something that can occur. It is a tool as you say and to be treated with care and great respect.

I wonder how many people 'disappear' from the forum because they have a regain and feel too shocked or embarrassed to say so.

Well done again and I am sure you will get rid of the pounds regained.

tranquil x

Not brave. Just honest. For my sake and for others who may be pre op still. You need to know this.

And thanks all for the support xx

Thank you very much for sharing. Insights like this are essential for us pre oppers. Especially as there may be some who are under the illusion that WLS is a magic wand.

Good luck with getting rid of the 5lbs! :)

You have done exactly the right thing, getting back to grips with it after only two weeks. It would be so easy to let things slide, but you can see this as just a small blip and get back on the right track. Good luck hun, I know you'll do fine.

See you soon x

Dear Blueeyes,
Thank you so much for your post,I hope you feel better now you have vented. Im so sorry you are having a tough time.
Congratulations on your fresh start !!

I was just wondering if you knew you ate for comfort before your operation? or did it just become apparent post op ? and are your team available to support you post op? Thank you so much for sharing your story so far , and i hope that your relationship matters are calmer now.

Theres always rain before rainbows xxx

thank you for such an honest post, and good luck on losing the 5lb, it gives us all an insight into the fact that we dont lose the weight overnight after having wls and that we need to work with the chosen surgery we have had to see results this is no quick fix, much love barbara x

Blueeyes i hear you completely and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your candid frankness.

I too went through a period of not eating as well as i could, except i guess mine lasted a couple of months... As you say one day you wake up and eating is not a issue, anything goes down. Unfortunately as a diabetic who doesn't dump i never had the fear to keep away from sweet things which was my downfall (that and takeaway crap). I found myself having a lovely almond croissant on the way to work and maybe a muffin on the way home because i could and was peckish... I too have now readdressed this and done something i never thought i would again, i went back to a slimming club!!!!

Your wls whichever you have is at the end of the day, you still have to make good choices and also learn to incorporate exercise into your daily routine....

Good luck precious, i know you will lose the 5lbs easily i have faith in someone so honest.

Keep on smiling and keep on being a fantastic loser on a fantastic forum xx

Yes I knew I comfort ate before I had the op. Definitely. Unfortunately I have never been able to get a handle on that, and still don't. They don't fix your brain with the surgery, only your stomach ;-) So it is vital to work on these issues before and after surgery.

My team would be available, I could request appointments with any of the team if I wanted (and I have one with the dietician next month, which I requested).

Dear Blueeyes,
Thank you so much for your post,I hope you feel better now you have vented. Im so sorry you are having a tough time.
Congratulations on your fresh start !!

I was just wondering if you knew you ate for comfort before your operation? or did it just become apparent post op ? and are your team available to support you post op? Thank you so much for sharing your story so far , and i hope that your relationship matters are calmer now.

Theres always rain before rainbows xxx

Thanks Julie! I know you can relate. It happened so quickly! To be fair, the weight I'd lost just before, I don't think it had properly 'settled'.. if you know what I mean. I had lost quite a lot one week, and usually it means a bit of it will come back on, and I'll lose far less the next week. Since I then proceeded to eat crap the following two weeks, a whopping 5 pounds came on. Anyway that's my logic. Not saying it to excuse what I let happen though. I definitely threw my eating plan out the window for two weeks.

I'm focusing much more now, but with the 4 day weekend I'm still struggling to eat right. I do much better when I work and I have routine. But I've cut all the crap right out, so that's the first step. Lots of fruit, lean meats, veggies. Hardly any bread. And smaller meals. I'll get my mojo back.. you'll see :)

xxx

Blueeyes i hear you completely and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your candid frankness.

I too went through a period of not eating as well as i could, except i guess mine lasted a couple of months... As you say one day you wake up and eating is not a issue, anything goes down. Unfortunately as a diabetic who doesn't dump i never had the fear to keep away from sweet things which was my downfall (that and takeaway crap). I found myself having a lovely almond croissant on the way to work and maybe a muffin on the way home because i could and was peckish... I too have now readdressed this and done something i never thought i would again, i went back to a slimming club!!!!

Your wls whichever you have is at the end of the day, you still have to make good choices and also learn to incorporate exercise into your daily routine....

Good luck precious, i know you will lose the 5lbs easily i have faith in someone so honest.

Keep on smiling and keep on being a fantastic loser on a fantastic forum xx

Update on my first week post gain! It didn't take me long to formulate a plan on how to deal with what I let happen. I was so annoyed with myself for eating all this junk.

This week I didn't eat any junk, cut out all the crap and ate what seems like my own body weight in fruit! God I love fruit. Used to make me dump but not anymore thank goodness.

The boots scale showed a 6 pound loss this morning! WOOP WOOP. So happy. Onwards and downwards !

Back