• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG - weight gain. I'm gutted

Oh my god. I have gained 5lb in weight this week and absolutely gob smacked.

I am six and a half months post op and whilst I knew the weight loss would stall at some stage I didnt expect a gain at this stage, especially as I have at least another ten stone to lose to get to any sort of decent weight.

I have looked back at what I did different this week. Firstly, I walked more, but I drank a lot less. I also havent done my food diary for about two weeks which before now I done every single day since my op.

I also ate more feta cheese in my salad at work (bought out so not sure of the amount or calories). I guess it all ads up but I am still shocked and disappointed in myself.

I weighed myself later today then I normally do and that could make up for a pound or two but not the five pound that I was up. This is defintely a wake up call and from today I will be keeping my food diary every day regardless.

Also, it is tempting to only post the weight losses on here but I have to take responsibility for this gain and acknowledge it and learn from it.

Has anyone else gained weight at this early stage?

PinkyButtonz

I really feel for you.

I know Feta can be salty, could it be water retention? Sadly shop bought salad are sometimes are layden wth calories.

phatmomma

Oh EB am feeling your pain.... Seems to me like you are giving your food for the last week some analysis and will see where somethings could have happened that may have added cals/fats...

I know our bodies can fluctuate by about 2.2lbs throughout the day so hold onto that thought!

Go back to your old habits of keeping a diary, i'm very early in my wls and have noticed little habits of popping food in my mouth as passing it.. I'm going to follow your example i think and get a book and start writing down my food intake along with losses at the end of the week!

Stay positive, you've done so well in only 6 1/2 months and you will succeed in your goals i'm sure xxx

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
It isn't fat, to gain 5lbs of fat in one week would mean over eating thousands of calories, which at your stage just isn't possible.

Its most likely to be a combination of fluids, hormones, and weighing later (it makes a big difference to me, when I weigh I get up, wee and then weigh, so it's consistent).

Up your fluids, don't sweat the cheese, and all will be well again.

daftmoo

from day 1 of my pre op diet I've kept a diary with what I've eaten and drank, my Boots weigh in slips, BP and blood sugar readings, and my measurements

SOON SLIM SUE

types with one finger
i put on 4lbs one week because i was on holiday and thought that was an excuse (NEVER AGAIN). i soon put that right thou the next week and I'm back on track.

Thanks for your comments guys. Since starting this thread I have emailed my dietitian to ask for an appointment/phonecall/advise. I am determined to sort this out before it goes any further.

angie790

Oh my god. I have gained 5lb in weight this week and absolutely gob smacked.

I am six and a half months post op and whilst I knew the weight loss would stall at some stage I didnt expect a gain at this stage, especially as I have at least another ten stone to lose to get to any sort of decent weight.

I have looked back at what I did different this week. Firstly, I walked more, but I drank a lot less. I also havent done my food diary for about two weeks which before now I done every single day since my op.

I also ate more feta cheese in my salad at work (bought out so not sure of the amount or calories). I guess it all ads up but I am still shocked and disappointed in myself.

I weighed myself later today then I normally do and that could make up for a pound or two but not the five pound that I was up. This is defintely a wake up call and from today I will be keeping my food diary every day regardless.

Also, it is tempting to only post the weight losses on here but I have to take responsibility for this gain and acknowledge it and learn from it.

Has anyone else gained weight at this early stage?

I agree with Shelbell, my weight can fluctuate by pounds (and I'm talking about 10lbs here) throughout the week depending on TOTM, fluid intake, what colour shoes I wear, whether I have looked at a packet of crisps, breathed...you get the picture...you clearly haven't grossly over-eaten this week to account for this extraordinary blip so don't panic, you have been a good girl so I am sure it will sort itself out next week! xxx

Kerry Jo

How frustrated you must be feeling hun, i agree with my TOTM i can put on 7lbs easily, i hope this is the case with you hun and if its not i know by your post your gona beat these pounds. You've had the guts to post on here, a big well done for that and good luck we're all behind you xxx

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
Doubt it's anything to worry about at all. Could be time of the month, water, time of day etc. But on a positive note it's reminded you to get back into the habit of keeping a food diary. :)

jo_ jo

Dont worry hun. It will come off again like the others say could be a few things. I put on every month towards the end of each month about 8lb and then takes me approx 2 weeks to get rid of it again

Jo
xx

I wanted to update this thread to say that I weighed myself yesterday and lost the five pound again plus another one. Ok, so that is only one pound gone in two weeks but I am ok with that. Thanks for your support

Bev

Well done... our bodies are full of so much fluid it's no wonder the scales are variable... so pleased you have had a better week... I've been working hard and only lost 1lb this week, but I'm undeterred, I feel better than I did and I'm going onwards and upwards with this journey...
All the very best and sending love, Bev xxx