• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones - GP update!!

ditzeeblonde

Looks like its my turn to have these.. had it confirmed today by my team, now the hard part of getting a refferal from my GP who have no appointments before Christmas apart from emergency ones & mines not an emergency.

I have read that keeping food low fat helps, does taking pain killers help at all? Mine doesn't come in waves its been a constant pain now for 4 weeks & tbh I'm very tired of it now.

Does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to help the pain & ease the symptoms a bit?

Thanks in advance. xxxx

Linzi that counts as a medical need in my book so book in, its a long enough wait for being seen and gallstones can be very painful. There is no reason for you to wait for a routine appointment when you are suffering

Take care

M

Im sorry to here about this love and i hope you can get the horrid things taken out asap. I had mine removed many moons ago and would not wish them on anybody.
Pain killers will certainly help but the pain for me was so bad i was prescribed really strong ones from the hospital.
Try to avoid any fats love as that helps, im talking over 20 years ago though. xxxx

So sorry Linzi, it's an all too common problem precious and I do feel for you. Once the pain starts the sooner you can get rid the better they are a painful nuisance.... I avoided everything dairy and as everyone else says with fat.

From several operations over the years, this was the least of my worries and via keyhole it was straight forward surgery.

Please keep in touch and keep us appraised and sending a humungous hug as always, wrapped in love... take care Linzi xxx

I hope you can get an appointment soon hun....Im so sorry you have gallstones too.....it seems like its very common after WLS....Hope you keep it at bay until you can get it whipped out (HUGS) XX

Linzi that counts as a medical need in my book so book in, its a long enough wait for being seen and gallstones can be very painful. There is no reason for you to wait for a routine appointment when you are suffering

Take care

M
Thanks M... was told by the receptionist that they don't have any prebookable appts left & that they only have emergency appts & mines not classed as an emergency, she said I could call at 0830 if I wanted which I explained I'm on the school run, so she said I'll have to wait til the new year... hope nobody has anything serious at our practice!:sigh:

Im sorry to here about this love and i hope you can get the horrid things taken out asap. I had mine removed many moons ago and would not wish them on anybody.
Pain killers will certainly help but the pain for me was so bad i was prescribed really strong ones from the hospital.
Try to avoid any fats love as that helps, im talking over 20 years ago though. xxxx

I haven't got bad pain but its just continous, a dull ache in my back shoulder & abdomen. Will try & get hubby to get me some painkillers tomorrow.

Thanks hun. x

So sorry Linzi, it's an all too common problem precious and I do feel for you. Once the pain starts the sooner you can get rid the better they are a painful nuisance.... I avoided everything dairy and as everyone else says with fat.

From several operations over the years, this was the least of my worries and via keyhole it was straight forward surgery.

Please keep in touch and keep us appraised and sending a humungous hug as always, wrapped in love... take care Linzi xxx
Thanks Bev... its really nipped my appetite even more so, nothing appeals right now & am struggling getting fluids in too so will focus on that. x
I hope you can get an appointment soon hun....Im so sorry you have gallstones too.....it seems like its very common after WLS....Hope you keep it at bay until you can get it whipped out (HUGS) XX

Thanks Jacqui. Fingers crossed that they will be whipped out asap. x

I think constant pain for four weeks does count as an emergency. My last attack had lasted over a week when my gp phoned up the hospital and insisted they admit me. After watching me for two days, including seeing an attack when I ate a little, they decided to operate but cancelled the op twice until I got my worse attack ever. The pain was constant and really really bad, happened at night, and they operated on me at midday the next day.

Yes pain killers help, I was on maximum doses of paracetamol, ibroprofen and tramadol.

As far as eating is concerned, I found that whatever I ate, my gall bladder reacted so I barely ate for nearly two weeks.

And when they removed it, they found that it was severely infected.

If you can't get a doctor's appointment, then I recommend you go to A&E.

Jacki.

Sending love and all good wishes, another thing they told me, don't know if it applies now but they don't like to operate around the time of a 'flare up', they prefer to operate when the gallbladder is behaving...

Plus they give you the stone/s as a souvenir... so that's a bit of something to look forward to!

Love and hugs Linzi xxx

I think constant pain for four weeks does count as an emergency. My last attack had lasted over a week when my gp phoned up the hospital and insisted they admit me. After watching me for two days, including seeing an attack when I ate a little, they decided to operate but cancelled the op twice until I got my worse attack ever. The pain was constant and really really bad, happened at night, and they operated on me at midday the next day.

Yes pain killers help, I was on maximum doses of paracetamol, ibroprofen and tramadol.

As far as eating is concerned, I found that whatever I ate, my gall bladder reacted so I barely ate for nearly two weeks.

And when they removed it, they found that it was severely infected.

If you can't get a doctor's appointment, then I recommend you go to A&E.

Jacki.

Thanks Jacki.... someone else suggested that if I have no joy with the GP. xx

Plus they give you the stone/s as a souvenir... so that's a bit of something to look forward to!

Love and hugs Linzi xxx

That could be a unique secret santa gift for someone!:D

Just been to the docs.... his response to me asking about gallstones & if I can be reffered for a scan... his response is 'well if this is a result of yr wls then shouldn't those bariatric people be sorting it out, not us'!!! Beside manner is sure not what it used to be!

Managed to get him to ask for a refferal after a grilling about what pct paid for my surgery, how I managed to get funding!

Won't be requesting to see him again!

I agree with the person who sed about going to A & E the next time u have an attack, I had my gall bladder out after really several bad attacks within one month each requiring firstly gas and air for 5 hours and then morphine, I was sent home after one week and then admitted back in the same day for a further week the consultant on the ward put me on his list to have the gallbladder removed and before I had the surgery done I had 2 further attacks and require more hospital stay ( 2 seperate weeks) after this time I was operated on in the private sector and it was done in 2 weeks.....had I of gone to my gp gawd knows how long I would have waited..........so get ur self off to a & e if you have another attack...............all the best - Julie xx

Right me dear I am glad to see you got in to see the doc not glad at all re his attitude. He as the primary care physician is the gatekeeper to secondary care services and as such that is why he has been asked to make a referral. Cash strapped PCTs now strictly dislike what are called tertiary referrals ie between secondary care providers and department such as bariatrics to GI surgeons. GPs are the access point. If he would like me to point him to the exact terms in his contract that tells him that before he starts shifting responsibility for that to someone else please feel free to ask him to call me and I will 'happily' guide him along. After all its what I do every day, day in and day out. So unless the South west is operating in a parrallel universe from the rest of us tell him to get his bleddy finger out and just do it. Oh how good did that feel when you are away from your own coal face you can interfere in someone else's docs lives, while my partners are glad I'm taking a small lie down for 2 weeks but always vigilant as to what they're getting up to you can rest assured.

Good luck Linzi with a GP like that who needs enemies.

M

Thanks M... its such a shame that things are dealt with in such a way at times... thankfully I hope to have got out of him what I need & won't be seeing him again. xx

Back