• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie! Newbie!

Labelle

Hi everyone my name is Sarah from London, am 25 years old and I have been overweight my entire life, am currently about 330lbs inh and 5"8 this is by the heaviest I have ever been, it's actually just depressing. Like everyone else who is condidering or has had wls I have tried every diet under the sun, the Cambridge, Atkins, Dukan, herbal life, juice fasting raw food diet you just name I have probaly done it, was even prescribed orlistat for a over six months, it was just horrific even though I lost weight after I stop taking the pills all the weight plus just all came within a few weeks, everyone always says how confident I am but that's far from the truth, am just good at hiding my feelings, have been depressed for years, I can't control my weight at its frustrating I have hit rock bottom and surgery is the only glimmer of hope to a healthy longer life... I don't have any other illness apart from constant back pain, joint pain and my feet are always swelling after just a short walk....a few years back I spoke to a gp about possible wls under the nhs but I was simply brushed off and just told to eat less and move more (if only it was that easy) that was that.... So recently in march I finally decided to speak to my new gp and explained everything she was really sensitive and really helpful (god bless her heart) after looking at my records and speaking a senior gp I was finally refferred to dr Sufi at the whittington hospital on the 17/03/14. After waiting about 6 weeks I had still not heard anything from the hospital and so the panic kicked in I called the hospital and guess what I was told that the hospital has not recieved my refferal I was advised to get my gp to fax it in...3 more weeks later I still hadn't heard anything so I called the hospital again...and they said they had not recieved my refferal either by fax either by this point it was about 2 months since my refferal, I think I just cried for a whole day then called my gp surgery the next day really angry I spoke to a secretary who confirmed that the fax had been sent already she kindly offered to call the hospital and find our what exactly was going on, she then faxed my refferal for the third time this was about 3 weeks ago... This morning I finally got a letter to attend a group session... Finally the ball is rolling but then again I don't want to get myself all ecxited... Am still hopeful but with these things you will never know... I have been coming to this site almost on a daily basis, it has been really inspiring and encouraging, am glad I have found this site because i feel everyone is either in the same boat or has been there.

I have a few questions and I would really appreciate it if anyone can respond, first I have been invited to a group session on the 2/7/14 does this mean I have been accepted for wls? Is anyone else attending group session at the whittington on the same day? How long roughly is the process from refferal to surgery at the whittington? What is the next stage after the group session? Sorry for all the questions guys but am just a bit anxicious it seems so close yet so far away... I have also read a lot on bad expiriences on Here even though am ecxited it's still all a bit overwhelming. Well have a lovely evening hope someone replies xx

Hi Sarah

I have been trying to find someone to share stories about Whittington as I'm now being treated there.

This group meeting they call the Education Meeting. A selection of patients who have been referred for WLS come in for a 3hr ish session which is predominantly presentation by the dietician and one of the nurses.

They provide an information pack and gave a questionnaire re eating habits. They talk through the different procedures, who benefits from each type of surgery, etc.

Surgery us called tier 4. In order to progress to tier 4, you must have completed tier 3 which includes weight management lasting 12-18 months I think now. You can check the criteria online. This came into effect in April 2013 in line with NHS England.

Some people decide surgery is not for them following the education session. It's a lifelong choice that affects us every day so it takes commitment.

Being preferred to hospital gets ball rolling. You may still need to do tier 3, depending on what you've done via GP. They will also need to check things like heart, sleep apnoea, etc.

They advise from education meeting to surgery possibly 18 months which allows for investigations and tier 3. I think this is good going. I was originally referred to Kings in 2012 and I STILL haven't seen the consultant despite complete tier 3. My appt is Feb 2015! Then I'd have a further wait to 2016/17 for op.

Anyway, I saw the consultant, Nr Alhamdani, who ticked off other questions, ie confirms eating habits, other health concerns and I'm provisionally booked in now for August!

I hope some of this helps. Good luck ?

Just stopped by to say hi
all the best to you

Thank you so much for replying guys, ICAWM... It's gonna take that long wow... Well it seems to me you are nearly there as you have completed tier 3 good luck hope all goes well for you, I have heard lots of good things about the whittington and I was happy to be referred there, do you know whether taking orlistat for over 6 months qualifies as tier 3? Or does this mean I will be waiting for at least 2 years considering I don't have any other known illness. Wow am shocked I thought things moved much quicker, well in any case am still excited about the group session and moving forward... Is there any thing that I should know before the group session that will be helpful? Thanks again

welcome & good luck with your journey!

My boss ha his bypass under the Whittington 3 years ago (I'll assume the waiting times etc have changed since then, but he had good things to say)

I am under the UCH, I waited 6 months from first appt (last november) to op (may '14), sorry I dont know anything about tier 3/4??? criteria must've changed again.

They way they were talking, I'd say 18 months max.

You may not know you have other things, but they check - it was prior to this process but I didn't know I had sleep apnoea until they did a study and now I used CPAP machine. This happens to many overweight people apparently.

Alternate treatment like medication might count towards but the guidance changed last year. Google and check or search on this forum.

At the meeting, you can ask everything, they are so lovely and helpful.

If you've done some tier 3, might need an exercise referral or something to compete it and that may be quicker so could be within 12 months. But I'm speculating.

It's good that it's not 'easy' to get op as it's a big deal.

I'm no expert but if I can help in any way, please shout x

Hello, Labelle :) welcome to this forum.

Sorry you are having a bumpy start, but i hope you will find out more information and then at least will know what to expect. Because the unknown and being uncertain about things is very hard.

Sorry i cant help with your questions at all. i was referred to st. Georges hospital last year. Still waiting to be confirmed for the op (well i am optimistic and hopfull that i will).

Good luck with your journey. I wish you lots of strength and patience. :)

Hi and welcome

I was originally due to have my op at The Whittington (maybe about the same time as GeMzY's boss?) but 'life' changed. It sounds like the procedure has too so sorry I can't help with that.

I wonder if Lucy the dietician is still there? She is lovely. As was Mr Sufi's secretary. Knowing I had a long journey each way (at £50 a pop for fares) she did everything she could to get appointments for me on the same day.

Good luck with your weight loss journey x

Just a quick hello :)

Good morning guys.... Thank you all so much for your support I thank god I really found this site... I haven't told anyone about this apart from my parents who are very supportive, I don't want to tell my boyfriend or even any of my friends just yet am just scared that they won't understand... And to be honest I don't need any negative vibes, I feel kinda guilty for not telling them of such a big thing but once everything is in place I will spill the beans, none of them are remotely overweight let alone morbidly obese..so they won't understand how it pains to be this way, it's just nice that I can come on here and just rant... Am sure I will find all your encouraging words really useful and am greatful that I can talk to people who know exactly how am feeling. I just need be patient with the system I guess and hopefully things take off from here.

Good day everyone.

Hi,

I was referred to my local hospital weight loss clinic last December and before they would put me on any waiting list for surgery I have to wait at least a year . In this year so far I've seen a dietician plus I'm due to see physiologist then they will discuss me in the MDT meeting and put me on the weighting list for surgery which is a minimum of 6 months so realistically for NHS you will be looking at a minimum of 18 months . This is why I have finally decided to go private. I currently way 19 stone at 5ft10 but if I wait about her 10 months I will be about 22 stone easy )-: . If your willing to wait then do it but in my experience they do everything to stop you from having surgery. Good luck (-:

Hi Hedge, good luck with your surgery, going private is a much quicker process, it's just not an option for me, I just don't have the means to do it, just graduated from uni and am in so much debt with student loans and all sorts, I know it might take a while but NHS is my best bet... It just seems as though I have no other option than to wait my turn...so frustrating the hoops you have to go through...they shouldn't make it easy but surgery is a last chance to be healthy for lots of us.

Yes I know up until today I had decided to wait but my bmi is 38 so it won't be a defiant yes anyway . I'm remortgaging the house to pay otherwise I couldn't afford it . Anyway keep me informed on your journey and I will so the same . Heather . X

Back