• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon - my story so far, 2 weeks in

Twinbex

Hi,
Just thought i'd share my story so far after my disastrous start.
I had my balloon fitted on 27th April but due to severe sickness overnight had to be readmitted and was on an IV drip for 48 hours. I had the added trouble of an unwelcome time of the month which I'm sure added to my cramping.
The consultant refused to take it out as he said there were risks if it was removed too early.
I came out of hospital on 30th April and we went to Center Parcs on 4th May. This was the best thing for me as it kept me active all week. I was out of pain but still feeling bloated.
A typical days food for me at the moment is:
Breakfast - 1 x weetabix
Lunch - 1 sandwich (1 slice of bread)
Dinner - 1/2 jkt potato, salad & prawns
Snack - 2 glasses of milk with Nesquik !

On holiday when we ate out I just had a starter as my main and can honestly say that I miss Pepsi Max more than food !!

I had my 2wk check today and have lost 1 stone so far (4.5 to go).

I would love to know what happens as time goes on, do I increase food ??

I think I just wanted to type my experience and if it's useful to anyone, then good !

I do not know of ur procedure but just wanted 2 say a very well done, am sure someone will be along real soon.

All the best - mejulie xx

I'm sure I read a while ago that someone was advised to drink a diet coke or a pepsi max once a day to 'wash' the balloon?

You are doing really well! Glad you have settled in with the balloon now. Best Wishes x

PS when you prod yr tummy, does it feel like sort of ripply like an ordinary balloon filled with water?

Fascinating - thanks for sharing.

I was very keen on the balloon but provider refused based on me having a BMI over 35 and having more than 3 stone to lose.

I'll be really interested to hear how it goes... good luck!
yoyo

mejulie lol, I was meaning how long would she have the balloon in for. I heard its a max of 6 months so just wondered if she was the same. But thanks anyway mejulie (I love that name mejulie, every time I read a post from you I have to say it and chuckle)

Hi,
thanks for your replies.
My BMI was 36 and I have 5 1/2 stone to lose although the hospital only require me to lose 18kg in the 6 months the balloon is in. I am hoping to lose as much as possible while I don't have to worry about willpower !
Because the balloon is so high in my stomach I feel pregnant as it's right under my bust. But I honestly do not feel hungry and am feeling more confident already as I feel in control of my eating for once in my life.
It does feel strange not reaching for snacks, especially while watching tv at night and I do really, really miss Pepsi Max as I've been told to avoid fizzy drinks.
From someone who wanted it out on day 2, I can say while I do feel a little uncomfortable - I am going to try and keep it in for the full 6 months to give me the best opportunity.
Becky x

Hi Becky

Really glad to hear you are doing so well as i know from previous posts you were desperately wanting the balloon out at the start, I think initially it is uncomfortable and for some much worse than others ,but you are doing excellent with your weightloss 1 stone is 2 weeks is fantastic and i think this is also what spurred me on was losing intially quick, I like you plan to lose 6 stone in 6 months and i am on track lost just over 3 stone and just over 2.5 months since it was placed so hopefully will stay on track for the next 3 months

I also loved juice Diet coke and drank gallons of the stuff daily, but was told by the surgeon to not drink this as gassy juice can irritate the balloon and since having the procedure done have stuck to water only and occasionally tea which to be honest i am amazed with myself as didn,t really like water but it shows that you can change

In the first few weeks i was eating similar to you, however can now eat more but no rubbish as was a real chocoholic and loved cakes, biscuits and sweets before, but feel if i even had one would wanted to eat them all so i am steering clear

Keep up all the good work, your'e doing great

Best Wishes Gail

Hi there, really impressed with the weightloss, also is helping me plan for my own balloon - ie I have now taken a week and a half off work to let it settle in a bit !! Am still very nervous - did you have any problems with the actual insertion? Also did you get done in the UK?

bump so bell question can be answered and i would like to kno as well

Back