• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric balloon - regrets after 1 day

Twinbex

I had my balloon fitted on Monday and after vomiting all fluids and pills throughout Mon night was readmitted on Tues am and put on a drip. It's now Thurs and i am home - thank goodness. Can anyone tell me if the bloatedness does pass as I am unable to even sit down comfortably. I have asked for the balloon to be removed but have now been told that there are health risks if it is removed within 2 wks. To top it all I have had my first period in 12 months and i'm sure this is adding to my discomfort. If anyone could give me a few words to make me feel better, i would appreciate it. many thanks

I don't think there's a WLS-er anywhere that's not had a regret at some point or other and the regret usually comes with a low point such as vomiting and certainly early post-op.

Stick with it for a week and see how you feel. You have it all going on at the minute with your TOTM too. Try and focus on why you wanted the balloon fitted in the first place.

All the best and keep talking. :hug99:

Great advice from B and R. Can't really add to it, but didn't want to read and run. Exceptionally bad luck to have your totm now. Hope you feel a bit brighter soon x

hope it all goes well in the future, not had any surgery (yet)

i havent had a band but im sure this is the storm b4 the sunshine .. try to be brave it will al be worth it in the end xxx

thanks for all your kind messages and support. i'm really hoping that is just my totm that is making me feel ill, not used to it at all. can't believe how bloated I am, but again that may not be the balloon ?

aww i hope you feel better soon x

Hope your feeling better soon twinie - Red has given you good advice and i have great respect for those who have had their op's and come out of it looking so positive and i know they have their low times too. Just take things as easy as you can and i'm sending you hugs with fairy dust for a speedy recovery x

Twinbex,
The bloatedness could be the air in your body,is theres a pain right up to your shoulders?as others members will tell you gripe water is great for that.
Try and stay with it ,the first few days are the worse with the sickness but it does settle down ,i promise .
Stay on fluids,slimfast,smoothies poached egg on toast was one of the first meals i ate and it was brill.
I have just had my balloon taken out today and the nurse told me alot of people do have it removed as they cant tolerate it,not sure why they have said it is dangerous in the first few days,i have never heard that.
There is a lot of trapped wind which makes you have burps like you have never heard before they are unique,and then theres the other wind ;),oh boy lol.
Try and stay away from spicy food or you will be ill,just take it easy and the main thing is STOP when you feel full,or again you will be ill.
I can give you my mobile number if you need any advise,not sure i can help but the offer is there just let me know.

take care

Di xxx

Di,
thanks for your message. Did you honestly not feel it after the first week because I just feel awful and stupid for wanting it out after coming this far . . . Dr said there is a risk of perforating stomach if it is taken out before the swelling has gone down and i'm not prepared to put my health at risk. Managed 1/2 yogurt and glass of milk today so might try a weetabix tomorrow ! thanks again x

Hi twinbex,

I spent 3/4 days in hospital trying to keep down slimfast before they let me out,when i came out i continued with slimfast for a few days,then started to introduce "real" food,like i said before scrambled egg and a slice of toast,baked beans,even fish fingers and mash potatoes a little bit sloppier than normal was ok,its trial and error like any WLS.

I was sick a few times but that was because i over indulged or i ate the wrong foods.

It really is a case of when your full stop,my dietician said you should be a able to eat a side plate portion.

The other thing i need to advise is indigestion unfortunately you will get that as well.(sorry)

Give it time,perhaps a month if you can tolerate it.you may be suprised.
Here`s my msn address if you prefer,i really dont mind talking.
Expose Email

Take care

Di x

Hi Twinbex

Sorry to hear you feel bad, Honesty after a few days to a week you well feel much better and i am not just saying that

I had a ballon fitted 24th Feb 09 and had read loads on the internet about this was more worried about the insertion as had a few endescopes before without sedation horrific, I honestly nearly got off the trolley in the theatre i was so bad, i was only sick once a few hours back in the ward, but the wind pain in the shoulder blades and the breast pain was really uncomfortable I was on a pain drip think it was only paracetomol though, it was done on the NHS and I was in hospital 1 day prior and 2 days after, when i got home it definately started to ease, I was told only clear liquids for 1 week and then for next 2 weeks sloppy food much like the diet of the bypassers/ banders till my stomach got used to it and on week 4 start eating normal but no spicy food and avoid coffee and citrus things, they gave me omeprazole stomach ulcer medication which i have to take for the full six months two per day which is quite a high dose

I lost 19lb in the first week and am on week 9 and lost 41lbs so far, i really did eat the biggest load of rubbish ever before and it really has made me change by awful habits, after a week it did get so much better and sometimes now i think is it even there now only in the morning can i real tell on waking up for a few minutes

My ballon is due to come out middle August and seeing the surgeon a few weeks ago he says if i have not lost another 30lbs by July 20th, I will get another balloon instead of surgery as he wants my BMI no higher than 48, although i have lost the weight i honestly dont know if i would have another one as six months fair enough but a year of taking all the ulcer medication, so doing everything i can to lose 30lbs in the next 10 weeks

I know you feel really Cr*p and i really feel for you, but see how you are in a few days, it does get better,peppermint tea helped me as others have said also

Best of Luck

Gail

Hi
Just wanted to add like you had a period the day after the insertion and did not have anything for over 2 years, i dont know if it is shock to the body or what and have had them regular since

Take Care

Gail x

can i ask a question to ballooners ? i shall ask any way. after balloon has been removed how do you cope with maintaining the weight loss on a long term basis after its been removed on a long term basis ?:confused:

Hi Liz

I have only just had the balloon out and i am on the milk and yoghurt diet for my op next week so i cant really answer that question,but i read a thread on here recently from the husband of another ballooner saying his wife had put a stone back on quite quickly.
I was told the balloon is only a aid/tool to help you lose weight what you do afterwards is down to you,but after six months i am of a totally different frame of mind on how much i can eat and of what i eat.

Btw well done on the weight loss so far wellington.

Di x

hi di thanks for the explanation, personally i need the permant restriction as having it took away from me doesnt work for me, and i proved that to myself when my band wasnt working properly before it was changed over, i admire the ballooners that can maintain there weight loss after the restriction a balloon gives is taken away.

liz x

Hi Liz

I am the same,i need something that will give me perminant help towards loosing weight,thats why i didnt op for the band as i know it can be removed and i dont trust myself not to get into the old bad habits again.:eek:
I chose to have the balloon because my liver was too fatty and my surgeon said if i lost substantial weight he would do wls again.:D

Di

Back