• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass @Deby July

LisaMay

Hi so excited to be having a gastric bypass done at derby on July 3rd!! Yay really surprised it came through so quick as from first going to the doctors to get a referral to having the op is only just over a year. Cant wait to get it done and get on the losers bench :)

Hi LisaMay :) welcome :) good luck with your op ;) july will come soon :) how long will your pre op diet be? Which hospital and surgeon are you under? :)

I am happy your journey towards wls wasnt too hard and long :) just a few more weeks and you will be able to start your new post op life :) cant wait to hear your story :)

Welcome Lisa may. Good luck with your weightloss journey. If you have any questions there is always someone here that can answer them. X

Hi llora i'm at Derby hospital under Dr Awad although i've not met him yet!! I had a different surgeon do my consultations so i'm kind of gutted I didn't get him but i'm sure Dr Awad will be just as nice. I start my pre op diet 2 weeks before my op. I got sent the diet sheet and i'm surprised it looks pretty similar and not as drastic as I thought it would be. I'm just trying to figure out what to take with me now and counting down the days really. Bit nervous but I think excited nervous if that makes sense :) how far on your journey are u? X

I am sure the surgeon will be lovely :) it must feel strange as you havnt seen him before. I am with different hospital but was warned in advance that might happen.

i am not far at all yet:) but i am happy to wait as long i can see the things progressing :)

saw my gp about referal for wls back in november. Then in january had appointments with dietician and consultant surgeon. Then had to wait around 3 months for my case to be discussed on one of their mdt meetings. That was very hard. I kept being worried that i missed the letter or a call.. And not knowing if the things are going forward or if they will dismiss my case.. To make the things worse While waiting for the answer unfortunately i was diagnosed with diabetes and pcos. then finally in april i received a letter from the hospital they asked me to see dietician (which was in may) and bariatric nurse (on 9th of june). :) so i still have one more appointment before they discuss my case on mdt meeting again. So can not be sure if i am going to be approved yet :) but i am staying positive and hopeful :) the people i did see so far agreed i am a suitable candidate for the surgery. So fingers crossed ;)

How did you choose which surgery to have? Was your mind set on one? Or did the team decide?

Hi and welcome LisaMay. It won't be long now before you are sitting on the losers bench hun ;) xx

Hi LisaMay. I had my surgery at Derby in sept 2012. You will be well looked after. The staff on the ward are amazing.

Hi LisaMay,

I know I have spoken to you on another thread, but thought I would add to yours too.

I was under Mr Ahmed originally, thats who I saw when I was first referred, as he is going to Saudi for a year, Mr Awad (swoon) is taking over a lot of his cases. I have just received a letter with my 6 week check up date and apparently its with Mr Leeder, rather than Mr Awad (gutted!) I'm sure Mr Leeder is fine, it would just have been nice to see Mr Awad again. :)

Paula, if you're interested, a group of us Derby oppers are meeting this evening in the Rushley in Mansfield. Quite a few people around here can't get to the Derby Support group, so we're just meeting for a natter. You'll be welcome to come along. If you want details, you can PM me and I'll give you my mobile number etc so you know where to meet us. Its on the A60. xx

No probs Paula, I'll let you know when the next one is. I think we'll be sorting out a regular thing.

I was 'done' by Mr Ahmed 16 months ago and love my bypass (I've been collar bone fondling for the last 10 mins ...... trust me, that will make sense in a few months!!).

Good luck on your 'journey' xx

Lol, I was talking to someone about this the other day. I I'm already starting to see mine. ;)

Hello Lisamay, congrats on your date, I am also being bypassed in July (21st), its very exciting but also terrifying, I wish you all the best

kate x

Thanks for your lovely comments ladies!! Ha ha chuckling at the "fondling of the collerbone" comment!! I can't wait to fondle mine ha ha!!

Llora I originally was all geared up to have the band but then I went to the education meeting and heard a lot of information on all the available procedures and it really gave me food for thought so to speak lol!! I went away with a bit of a downer on the band and really thought about it and decided the bypass was the way to go. When I then went back for my first meeting with the surgeon he was very much pro bypass and against the band so that kind of swayed it in the end for me. I hope you get your confirmation soon I know how long the wait can seem I became obsessed with checking my letterbox!!

Terrilou you need to stop bigging up Mr Awad cause i'm now expecting some Brad Pitt adonis like surgeon lol!!! When I went to the education meeting it was Mr leeder who took the meeting and I remember whispering to my mum he's a bit sexy isn't he lol silver fox!! Ha ha x

My 6 week appointment is with Mr Leeder, I haven't met him yet. You will not be disappointed, I can assure you. Believe me, the Nurses change when they see Mr Awad. Then again, I will let you form your own opinion. He is on Linked In if you fancy checking him out. ;)

Ah fab lisamay I've just done then education session and seeing consultant on 5th August would you mind me asking once you did the education session at derby how long before you were on the list ? If ya don't mind as am just at start if my journey and wanted to know they did say that the waiting list is under 6 months I was referred in January so far taken 7 months to get to this point x

Hi Vain, I didn't actually have an Education meeting as such, I just had a day meeting a Nurse, Psychologist and the Surgeon. The time from then depends on a lot. I had to see a Psychologists couple more times before I could be put on the list. All together, from referral to op, it was 13 months. I was referred in May last year, put on the waiting list in January and op in May.

Good luck with your journey. xx

Ah thanks Hun good to know seems everyone has different timescale well fingers crossed I've not got to wait too long to go on the list x

Hi vain, I had to attend an education meeting, I had that beginning of November then my next appt was in December then I had the 3 month gap my next appt was end of march and I went straight on the list. Literally a month later I got a phone call offering me july 3rd so once on the list I didn't wait long at all. It all seemed to fly by! I'm not 2 weeks post op and feeling great. The day of the op wasn't good was more painful than I imagined but within a couple of days I started to feel loads better. I had the op on the thursday and if I lived closer Mr Awad would have sent me home on the friday as it was I went home saturday. Everyone on the ward was amazing Mr Awad is utterly lovely and totally hot!! And really came across as caring. My only bug bear was waiting an actual ice age for the meds to take home with me. Other than that the Whole thing was fab. I'm now 2 weeks post op and have lost 13lb already so I chuffed to bits!! Have no appetite at all my mums practically forcing me to drink milk. But i'm managing lots of water and enjoying some soup. Feel really positive about the coming months :). You will be absolutely fine and before u know it you will be gowing up and walking down to theatre!! Keep me posted xxx

Back