• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric wrap vs sleeve?!

dejnablue

Hi,
Dr Ammori told me that he wasn't sure how hunger is reduced with a wrap compared to the sleeve as the part of the stomach producing the grehlin OS not cut away....
Could I ask you ladies who have had wrap/plication if you still feel hungry?
Thank you

Hi,
Dr Ammori told me that he wasn't sure how hunger is reduced with a wrap compared to the sleeve as the part of the stomach producing the grehlin OS not cut away....
Thank you
I had the wrap on 14th August 2012 and can say that I do not feel hungry. My attitude to food has totally changed and I find it easy to stick to the diet. It is not a case of being hungry and not being able to eat at all. Of course, I do think about pigging out but as we all know that is nothing to do with hunger and a small amount of food soon satisfies that

dejnablue said:
Hi,
Thank you

Hi. I had the wrap with mr ammori.
I'm 6 weeks post op. I can't say I am ever hungry......I had a day last week where I was never satisfied, and could have eaten more than I needed, but that is all about the demon "head hunger". I had to conciously remind myself to follow the rules. Most days it's the other way, and I'm having to remind myself to eat!
It's not easy and a cure all solution, and I'm sure I'll have bad days in the future, but I can think a lot easier about my choices....I know a tiny portion will satisfy me so I have to stop at that. and i am satisfied. Habbit makes me want to carry on especially if I'm enjoying something but it is now easy to say "stop"!

Hi I went with Prof Ammori too and am 5 weeks post surgery. I'm still struggling with head hunger, but definitely not physical hunger, and find if my days are busy and structured I have to remind myself to eat. I am self-employed, and am often at home working, and still find the old habit of looking in the fridge for a tasty snack is still there if I'm not very focused. I too have had a day where I felt like I couldn't stop eating (I was pre-menstrual) I have been tracking my intake on My Fitness Pal and couldn't believe I was still under 900 calories that day - and although it was a carb heavy day, pre-wrap my calorie intake would have been around 3000! I'm also single and find the old boredom eating still an issue if I'm home alone in the evenings. I'm trying very hard to break these 'habits' through a combination of lifestyle changes and will power. The surgery alone won't change my life but the restriction and working with my wrap through healthier eating choices and exercise will. Happy to answer any other questions you may have x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thank you so much for your replies...very much appreciated...I expect my "head hunger" is also the big monster I'll have to learn to control. I have PCOS and he advised me first to have a bypass but @ BMI 39, I thought it was a bit too drastic plus I have the cost to bare in mind as like you sararob 23, I don't fancy leaving the country! Would you agree that PCOS makes u more prone to craving carbs? And are your symptoms improving with weight loss? Am really hoping mine will and I can stop Metformin...how has ur loss been so far? Thinking of getting the wrap done in 8 weeks ( 7th Dec) so I have more re to save n organise Xmas before hand...how did u feel 3 weeks post OP Coz that worries me a bit, don't want to be ill on xmas for the kids??
Thank,you again girls and well done on ur progress ;-)

dejnablue said:
Thank you so much for your replies...very much appreciated...I expect my "head hunger" is also the big monster I'll have to learn to control. I have PCOS and he advised me first to have a bypass but @ BMI 39, I thought it was a bit too drastic plus I have the cost to bare in mind as like you sararob 23, I don't fancy leaving the country! Would you agree that PCOS makes u more prone to craving carbs? And are your symptoms improving with weight loss? Am really hoping mine will and I can stop Metformin...how has ur loss been so far? Thinking of getting the wrap done in 8 weeks ( 7th Dec) so I have more re to save n organise Xmas before hand...how did u feel 3 weeks post OP Coz that worries me a bit, don't want to be ill on xmas for the kids??
Thank,you again girls and well done on ur progress ;-)

I understand all of your worries. I would definitely say my pcos made my carb cravings worse. I had stopped some bad habbits I had years ago...my worst being crisps and bread.
I don't think I've had carb cravings yet...not to say I won't though! I have noticed in the early weeks, due to the types of food you can eat in the soft stages I have probably eaten more potatoes thanks I normally would like....but its also worth noting that the amount of food eaten in the early stages is tiny in comparrison to before so isnt anything to worry about. I'm about to start trying normal food, so now I need to think more about the structure of my meals.

I would say you will feel ok by 3 weeks. not 100% but ok! I had a lacking of energy for about 5 weeks, and also had trouble with a wound for about the same time, so I was careful about lifting and bending, but as for functioning around the house and a bit of shopping etc you'll be fine after a day or so. Just take it slow and steady, walk up and down ford the wind and take your meds. Oh and milk it a bit if you've got someone around, like I did! ;-)

Haha....I do intend to milk it! Hubby was great when I was pregnant and at least he won't have a newborn to deal with this time so All is attention is gonna b for me...lol...Even if am not 100%, Xmas will be fine...just didn't wanna b bed ridden feeling sick :-(
Thanks again Sararob23...U r a star!

Sent from my Samsung galaxy note

Sararob23 and gillykit! Since I've both been back to see the good Pf and passed.with flying colors...Congrats again!
I was wondering how you were doing with your food intake ie portion size now and structure of meals?
Hope it's not too personal, I was wondering what to expect once stomach settles...
Take care x

dejnablue said:
Sararob23 and gillykit! Since I've both been back to see the good Pf and passed.with flying colors...Congrats again!
I was wondering how you were doing with your food intake ie portion size now and structure of meals?
Hope it's not too personal, I was wondering what to expect once stomach settles...
Take care x

Hi Dejnablue, I'm pretty much back to eating normal food again 7 weeks post-op. Portion sizes are about 4-5 tablespoons per meal and I aim for 3 small meals and a couple of snacks a day as I get a really empty feeling and quite tired if I don't keep 'topped up"! Sticking to 800-1000 calories a day and logging everything on MyFitnessPal but having the odd treat of a Weight Watchers cake slice or reduced fat digestives every now and again. I have tried fruit and salad and not had any adverse effects although fruit skins are still a bit hard to digest so have taken to peeling apples and pears. The only food I have found so far that really disagrees with me is bacon :( but I will try it again as I love bacon!

I have been eating out since week 5 post op and have a starter portion of something tasty and just reduce my calorie intake for the rest of the day to compensate. I had a roast lamb dinner last weekend - pretty much the same size portion as my 4 year old godson was eating and I stayed away from the roast potatoes and parsnips, but had a tablespoon of mashed carrots, a bit of mash, a small slice of lamb, a baby leek and a couple of sprouts - was very full after it! I'm trying to stay away from rice and pasta as I find I can eat a lot more than I thought of these foods which increases the calorie count, so for me it's about making the right food choices for a healthy balance, with an occasional treat. To be honest I've gone back to the Weight Watchers approach - just smaller portions! Next challenge is to increase the exercise and do more than just walking! x

Thanks for the info Gillykit! Much appreciated! I can't wait to get some weight off so my back and asthma allow me to return to Zumba! I never thought I'd miss an exercise activity but Zumba whilst intense and highly effective doesn't feel like exercise ( the only thing I have ever enjoyed, take it from an exercise phobic...lol) x

Back