• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been aproved

Hi all don`t know if you remember me but I was around a while ago at the start of my journey to get funding for a weight loss procedure. Well excellent news I have been given the funding!

I have seen my consultant who was a lovely guy. He want`s to go with a gastric sleeve. I am having a bit of a wobble about it. The one thing I liked about the gastric bypass was the malabsorbtion and dumping. Which would stop me eating certain things again. The sleeve has a feature I like with removing the part of the stomach which produces grehlin (sp?) the hormone that makes us feel hunger. I don`t know which way to go to be honest. I am also worried about rocking the boat with the surgeon and him saying well if you disagree with me then I am not doing it. What do you guys think about the bypass vs the sleeve? Any advice will be brilliant. x

That is so wonderful! The sleeve sounds like a wonderful option if the surgeon thinks it is right for you. If you are concerned, just ask him to discuss why he thinks the sleeve is right for you versus the bypass.

At 11 weeks post op I can eat anything without dumping so it's not a cert that you will be excluded from certain food groups. You have to just not eat them. Best of luck with it all!

Good luck. Have you had to wait for 3 years for funding? Can't help regarding the sleeve don't know much about it. Still waiting to hear if I have got funding, hope I don't have to wait for 2 more years until they say yes. I think it was Mixman that has recently had the sleeve.

I was advised that I could still dump. I know there's people who don't but some do, I'm not going to take that chance. So I'm not eating sweet/fatty meals and I'm brilliantly happy with the results so far.

Lost 4 stone in the first 6 weeks and lots more in the 9 weeks since I was weighed. I go in a few weeks to the hospital and get myself weighed again.

Congratulations. There seems to be a fair few people opting for the sleeve on here lately so I'm sure some of them will pop by soon.

Good luck.
xx

Great news - congratulations. When my surgen recommended the bypass he explained that the choice was mine, however, I explained that he is the professional and went with his judgement. They are really good to talk to - just explain how you are feeling and why

Hi everyone thankyou for taking the time to respond to me ;)

Dreamofbeingslim I waited a few months last year and then was placed on a healthy eating program for 3 months. Heard nothing since I finished it in Feb. Then got a letter through the post from regency hospital in Macclesfield informing me I had been funded. It said as you are aware lol I didn`t know anything! I would say I was trying for a good year and a half coming close to two. But I also did ask back when I was 19 which would be 6 years ago.

Mixman that is a phenomenal ammount of weight to lose in 6 weeks! Big wtg! How are you feeling? Do you notice that you are full quickly now? I am still in the what if it doesn`t work stage lol Did your surgeon mention anything about a bypass in the future after the sleeve? He said to me that sometimes they use this then the bypass for safety reasons. But said I should lose enough just with a sleeve. Would help to hear your experience with the surgeon.

Again thankyou for your kind words and advice everyone x

Mixman that is a phenomenal ammount of weight to lose in 6 weeks! Big wtg! How are you feeling? Do you notice that you are full quickly now? I am still in the what if it doesn`t work stage lol Did your surgeon mention anything about a bypass in the future after the sleeve? He said to me that sometimes they use this then the bypass for safety reasons. But said I should lose enough just with a sleeve. Would help to hear your experience with the surgeon.

I am feeling fantastic. I've lost more weight since but I don't get weighed for another 2 or 3 weeks or so! So knowing how much more I've lost is just taking a guess.

I think nothing now of getting off my backside and taking a 2.5 mile circular walk. I did 4 miles a couple of weeks ago and was still OK.

I do feel full really quickly and, up until a couple of days ago, didn't feel hungry, although yesterday was the first time I've been feeling hungry. Maybe because I haven't had proper meals, just bits. But a banana and a yoghurt filled me up!

My surgeon said that there was a possibility of further surgery but he said that the majority of people are happy with the weightloss from just the sleeve alone, and to be honest, I think I'm going to be happy. I'm not abusing the gift given to me. I don't eat fatty foods, I don't eat sugar. I follow the same rules as someone who has had a full bypass, even though I'd probably get away with some sweet things. It has to be better for my health not having high sugar/fat foods, so I don't have any at all. Sweeteners in my drinks, no cakes/biscuites etc, food with around 5g per 100g of sugar and try and keep below 10g of fat.

I am not going to put myself and my family through any more mental anguish by going under the knife again. This operation is enough for me :D

Back