• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS and Ghrelin

emmten

I am currently looking at the sleeve and plication as I try to decide my next step.

I have previously lost a lot of weight on several occasions and feel that one of the main reasons I ultimately fail is hunger. Instead of managing better as I get used to smaller portions and healthier eating, I find I just get even hungrier!:sigh:

So I am after something that reduces that horrible, uncontrollable feeling, a procedure that reduces the amount of ghrelin in my bloodstream. My main problem is that in researching the issue I find contradictory opinions. One is that only a procedure cutting away the ghrelin producing part of the stomach, eg. VSG will have an effect. Others argue that it is the stretching of the pouch that reduces ghrelin, eg. wrap.

Can anyone help me resolve this dilemma, preferably with hard evidence. Have there been any studies wrt ghrelin levels with different WL procedures?

Also, for those who are at least a year out when everything is healed and hopefully in equilibrium, what are your hunger levels like compared to pre-op?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not sure if you lose the ghrelin with any of the ops other than the bypass but someone with better knowledge will come along and tell you that one. Remember that which ever op you decide on, ghrelin or no ghrelin they only operate on your stomach not your head. Although you wont feel hungry, you will still fancy most of the things that you craved before. You still need a decent amount of discipline to stick to a healthy diet. The most important thing to remember is that it's only a tool to weight loss not a miracle cure. Albeit a very successful tool.

I'm 10 months out and still don't feel hungry. I don't forget to eat because I'm around food at work all day and have a hungry family to feed, but I can survive on very little food in a day if circumstances dictate without feeling hungry at all. (Sometimes I find myself in meetings all day with no chance of grabbing something) I keep a babybel or cheese string in my handbag for such days. Thankfully nutritionally this doesn't happen very often.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take, it's really turned my life around.

Kate x

Thank you for that info Mrs Quiggle. I didn't realise that the bypass removed the ghrelin, as the large part of the stomach is left and attached further down to your intestines I assumed it carried on producing ghrelin, so this is wonderful news for me, and explains why I don't feel hungry anymore, but as you say the mind is a powerful thing!! I still visualise and crave certain foods even though I am not actually hungry, so that is definitely the problem to focus on... and probably the same with whatever type of weight loss surgery someone has..

I had the sleeve as they remove the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin. I don't feel hungry at all, but there is a feeling that your pouch is empty, quite a strange feeling really lol
Good luck emm :) x

from me phone :D

I was told by my dietitian that the bypass completely stops the production of grehlin, and that's why you don't feel actual physical hunger for approximately 2 years post op. head hunger on the other hand, is a whole different ball game apparently.

If its any help...I had the plication...where the part of the stomach that produces Ghrelin remains. I do still get the hunger feeling...although I fill up very quickly and with small amounts.

I would suggest if you are looking to take this out of the equation to go for the sleeve.....

Good luck whatever you choose... :)

XXX

Back