• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

General blood test quedtion.

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hiya,

I had some pre op bloods taken from my arm yesterday. All went fine but a few minutes after it was done and I had rolled my sleeve back down etc I realise my arm was wet. The site had reopened and bleeding a fair bit. Luckily I was still sat with the nurse, so it was all cleaned up and sorted etc. She said oh it will bruise now, but that was all.

So today it has indeed bruised, but not massively, however it is very sore and achey. I put a 3/4 sleeve cardy on this morning but had to change as it was making it hurt every time I bent that arm.

Now the pain isn't too bad, just tender and slightly achey, but then I take lots of big painkillers.

How long will the soreness last for? And is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again next time? Pressure was applied as normal, she checked the bleeding had stopped and put the worlds tiniest plaster on, and I hadn't moved or anything when it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hello , hard pressure is very important ( at least 30 seconds )after having blood tests , take a bigger plaster with you next time or some micropore ( put it over the cotton wool) . your bruising will go down but can take upto 2 weeks .
Kate (nurse and vampire ) x

Sorry no help Shel but hope you dont bruise too much! xxx

If you still bled after pressure had been appropriately applied, then probably should mention it on admission to docs as they might want to check clotting (if not already done).
Another thing that can cause that is if needle is removed before tournique is loosened as pressure is still built up in vein.
An ice pack (wrapped in cloth) applied to sore area might help with aching and cotton pad soaked with witch hazel can reduce bruise (apply only if skin not broken or it stings) other than that you just let it heal on its own.

All the best
Denise

hope it heals quick for you hun! x

Second what Denise says about checking your clotting factors, but mine was like this a few weeks back when I had my regular 3 monthly bloods done to check my levels. Bruised like a good un and was sore for 3-4 days xx

Thanks all. My clotting factors are fine, they were checked on the first lot of pre op bloods just 2 weeks before. I have Hughes syndrome (APS) which actually makes my blood extra sticky. I think it was just a one off as I have hundreds of blood tests etc and it's never happened before.

It's not sore any more, just tender when poked, so I shan't be poking it! Bruise nearly gone too :) so I think I was over reacting a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Glad you're getting better , why do we always poke things to see if it still hurts ?? :) x

Back