• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ghrelin

libbyb

Or however u spell it..

I understand the majority is made from the part of the stomach that is cut off during the sleee procedure but there is still a small amount made elsewhere in the body..

Do u think that when some people say the hunger hormone wasn't switched off for them they are feeling head hunger instead of actual stomach-grumbling-need-something-now hunger?

Thoughts? Xx

I discovered head hunger last night about ten. I would have loved some chocolate. I went to bed without eating and this morning am not hungry so obs I didnt need food I needed comfort while watching tv. Xxx

Edit .. ive a band so I still have both bits for hormone

Nope! I think that sometimes you feel real, proper hunger but to a much lesser degree and not always. It's not actually scientifically proven that this hormone is 100% responsible for the hunger feeling anyway but in my experience (now 9.5 weeks post op) it makes a mahoooossive difference. : )

I don't know, I can only speak for myself. Mentally i never feel hungry but my tummy gets hollow and rumbles. Head hunger is another thing all together, usually just boredom for me or 'fancying' something.

Like Jo Jo whatever does happen makes this journey 100% easier!!

Thanks for replies! Did u notice the hunger go stright after the op or did it take a while to go? I have heard some people feel restriction straight away but others not until they try solid foods a month + after! Xx

And did u guys get to choose bougie size? Or did your surgeon use one size for all? I am getting a 32 which I think is the smallest! Yikes

I had no hunger at all (in fact I had to remember to "eat" by the clock) until I moved onto solids. I definitely felt restrcition immediately and could manage only a few teaspoons of food to start with, then up to around 3 level tablespoons (less than it sounds) by the end of puree stage. Now an average portion for me is a small chicken drumstick, 3-4 cubes of caseroled meat, 2 thin slices of ham, 1 cracker and soft cheese, 1 ww yoghurt, 1 scrambled egg, table spoon of fish pie, cottage pie etc etc. I've only ever accidentally over eaten once and it was like being kicked in the chest by a horse....agony....avoid at all costs. I've never been or felt sick since leaving hospital (but boy was I nauseas in hospital - common thing with the sleeve apparently!) My best advice would be to just take it easy at all times but of you feel hunger later on, eat a little something as it really will be a little something that satifies that hunger. Make good choices and you won't have to worry about it too much. Often times, if I'm hungry and I eat a little earlier than normal, I don't need to eat again until the next meal is due so my intake hasn't actually increased................but when I say hunger I don't mean anything like before! You'll be just fine. x

I have no clue what bougie size I had.......I wasn't told and it doesn't seem to be written anywhere on my paperwork. I'd guess a small one as my restriction seems to be more than some peoples (not not to the point of problem though). I was at the upper end of the recommended weight for a sleeve so I don't knoe if that affects a surgeons decision or if different surgeons just have a preference.....do you know?

Wow that is hardly anything your eating! That is so good. I have no idea how they choose the size, I've googled and they all say different.. Some say high bmi-ers don't need as much restriction to make a difference so they use bigger but then others say low bmi don't need to lose as much so they have bigger. Who knows!
Was your issue pre op over eating? Or binging or anything? I guess I am looking for appetite suppression more than anything, the odd sweet tooth for a few days a month! I can't wait. 3 weeks and counting. Thanks for your reply! X

My issues were huge portions (of good quality home cooked food, but still huge portions!) and sweet stuff. Cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets etc also in big quantities. I've been fat my whole life (was never refused food or taught to stop eating when full) This is probably because my Dad is Spanish and grew up starving in Franco's Spain....stealing food to live etc so when he was here and working and able to feed his kids, he sure did! I've been an adult for 22 years though, so I can't just blame my parents (and I don't) but overeating is / was ingrained! This last 3 months have been the weirdest and also very exciting as I am now convinced that I will be slim and I will have a different life to the one I've always known! : )))

That is so exciting! Thanks for taking the tome to reply i really appreciate it. Make sure you put up pictures of your progress! X

Hi
They remove 70% of the ghrelin homone so hunger is minimal. Its produced else where in the body so we still have some. Im amazed that i rarely feel hungry but thats the beauty of the sleeve.

Kim

Feeling hungry and restriction are not linked for me. For me the hunger went straight away and hasn't come back. It's amazing. No idea what bougie they used. I'm NHS so there isn't a lot of feedback!

Oh and like Jo Jo I had restriction on fluids. I think that's due to your level of swelling though so don't panic if you don't notice a difference at the beginning. I'm 8 months post op and I can eat about 150g. Last night I made up chicken curry with 100g rice. Got 9 150g portions out of it :)

That's v cool. I feel so much better about this now. I have a band with restriction. But permanently have genuine hunger feeling!
Tealovingsleever.. Did they go through your band incisions for your sleeve? (I'm 90% sure you've had a revision?)
Thanks!

Nope I didn't have a band. The sleeve is my first surgery. I don't think they tend to use the previous scars due to possible scar tissue? My scars are tiny and only 1 is really visible. It's amazing!

Back