• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GIVING BLOOD

marky v

Hi guys, your thoughts please....

I went to give blood last week, on the radio here in Leeds, they've been shouting about having a shortage of O-, which I am.

Anyways, for those of you that have given before, you have to fill out a medical questionnaire which needs to know everything, anyways, told em I had a bypass, and I was taking Calcium 2x a day, multi vitamin 1x a day, and iron 2x a day, the helpful nurse said they couldn't take my blood and it'd have to be refered to the BTS doctor...frustrating..

Got a call back from this dippy bint, who in honesty didn't have a clue, so I argued the point with her....she said, because I was on ''PRESCRIBED'' meds, I was not able to give blood, so i asked why....her reply was that I could become anaemic, but I pointed out i'm on a ''super dose'', so even if my iron levels were to fall briefly, they'd be back up in no time, the same point was argued re the calcium, my final arguement to which she had no answer was this....''I was also asked just to give platelets'', one part of my blood, they suck out whole blood, remove the platelets, and pump what's left back, including my iron!! so i'd never get an iron defiecency anyway!! :doh:

Then the cherry on the top was this, she said, if I was taking the supplements off my own back, that'd be fine to give blood, just not on prescription, I asked her ''was she having a laugh?'', to which she replied ''of course not, it's your health we look out for'', what a joke of a comment.

I told her that as a fit and healthy bloke, how could they turn down a ''perfect'' donor, so when I see my gatric surgeon in the next few months for my pre op assessment for my hernia fix, gonna have a chat with him and see what he has to say about it....bloody BTS doctors :banghead:

I was told and others have that beacuse bypass patients become anaemic very quickly they don't allow it whether on iron or not as even with iron suppliments a bypass patient can still become anaemic because of malabsorbtion.

i do agree with their concerns to a certain extent, but if i were to give platelets, this arguement surely has no merit anyway??!! plus if i was voluntarily taking the supplements over the counter, that would be fine :confused: told her the BTS need to do some research into this

Back