• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

giving blood after surgery

teen

post op loser
I called the blood service as I give blood and they didnt no if I could or not as they hadnt had anyone before that had wls. So they came to the decision that I couldnt as I was still under the hospital for check ups I have to call back in 12 months. Anyone else that gives blood had this

Thanx

Last edited:
i give blood but not had this problem as i had a tattoo so have to wait anyway . i though you had to wait a year after an op but i may be wrong

I was only told No for a year after surgery (any surgery) but other than that it doesnt seem to be a problem

Big :clap: for all of those that do give blood. Would love to but am not allowed cos of my health probs (tainted blood lol).

Maybe all the pre-oppers will read this and get a donation in before the surgery :)

I give blood for many reasons but firstly cos after my baby grandson was born premature we lost him after 2 months but constant blood transfusions gave him 2 precious months to be with his mummy and daddy...also a close friend when I was younger had extensive burns and needed many transfusions over his months of recovery and surgery. to me its just something that I can give to help people in real need

A lot of the times I go to give blood I carnt due to my blood been low in something, I have the finger prick if that fails I have the blood test most times is border line and I can give blood. They can never find my veins lol and once even hit a tenden I flew of the table lol it wrecked. But I do go and try before now they have tubed me up and after 15 mins nowt has come out other times I bleed all over the place. Im gonna ask when I go for mt next appointment at Walsall about it

This is a great thread Teen. I had a transfusion after my eldest daughter was born 12 years ago. Giving blood is one of those things that I always think I should get round to but never do. You have inspired me to find out more about it.

I agree and think you are all great for giving blood. I wanted to give blood to return the favour after I had internal bleeding, however I was told that I couldn't as I had had a transfusion :( But I am eternally grateful for that man or woman who donated and you lot should be very proud of yourselves (even if you have to wait a year!)XXXXXXXXXX

Its strange They have lists of differant ops with when people can give again but WLS aint on the list

I wish i could give blood as i am 'o-negative' and its always in demand, unfortunately i am not allowed due to medications that i take

i was told that i shouldnt give blood as bypassers run a high risk of becoming aneamic and could possiably require a transfusion at some stage.Especially women who are pre menapausal.
hth
carole

Do you know if banders are more likely to suffer with anemia then as well? I know I take my multi vitimin but I have suffered on and off with anemia since being a teen. Good point you have raised.

its something id like to do but i just presumed i cant after having had meningacockle scepticemia in the past(sorry dunno how to spell it). i will look into it tho.

for those hard core givers its always worth looking into being on the bone marrow register as well a most cherished gift of life to someone

On that too...and before I became to old I donated my eggs for infertile couples too (I DID-NOT get paid for them) and did that 6 times fortunately to great success

Used to give blood as it is such a valuable thing to do so much is gained by so little however since being on warfarin had to stop then one thing after another have never been accepted again sad but girls keep giving, as a nurse I know and have seen how greatly appreciated it is
My son in law gives platelets as well another much needed resource
Thanks to all

Love Jay xx

I also give blood as A Neg usually in demand and my daughter had to have a trasfusion when she was 11, also on the register as heart lung doner etc help yourself take what you want 1 anyone else on the doner register ? must say that my OH is waiting for a lung transplant, It is such a worthwhile thing to do I just wish more people could register, Current publicity is helping to bring it to thr forefront thu' but not enough.

Im not on the donor list but have told Pete if anything happens they can take all BUT NOT MY EYES

Teen same here! They can have me all apart from my eyes! My nana and mam always said the eyes are the windows to the soul!

Back