• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going 2 the info meeting on thursday but need some advice pls !!

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well as some of u know i have been referred to the Whittington hospital for my bypass and had an info session booked for the 30th July but i got a cancellation and now am going on Thursday.
The bariatric co ordinator Lorna is fab and soooo helpful and patient and really understanding and does not seem to mind me asking so many questions lol.
I got a call from Lorna this afternoon asking me if i had had wls b4 and i told her yes i had a "gastric balloon" fitted privately in Oct 1998 paid for by my family.
I asked her does she think its going to be a prob and she said that she did not know and i would have to wait to see the consultant some time late August.
I told her that i had seen Mr H who used to work privately and nhs at the Whitt last year as i wanted a bypass but for personally reasons backed out and that Mr H did not see it a prob at all as the balloon had disintegrated and i had an xray to prove it was not there and its not an invasive surgery a the balloon is just passed through your nose into ur tummy then filled.

Lorna told me that if u have wls privately in the uk or outside you cant have any follow up care on the nhs unless its an emergency but she was not sure about my situation and could not comment on it.
So i then rang my pct and spoke to the woman dealing with funding and she said although she could not give me a definite answer as its not her decision but the panels but she is sure they only look at the clinical info and make their decision.

Ok i rang Mr Hashemi`s ( wls consultant) nurse who i saw last yr and she said there is def no problem me having a bypass after a gastric balloon op 11 yrs ago so now my only worry is that will my pct not like the idea i had private surgery 11 yrs ago and not want to fund my surgery although i meet all their criteria and they do say they only base their opinion of clinical info but could they behave funny as i have been private ?

Take care xxx

Roch, I very much doubt that the PCT will even be informed that you have had surgery in the past. They will be looking to see if you meet the criteria now - ie BMI over 40 or BMI +35 with comoribidities. I can understand you worrying though hun.

As far as the consultant is concerned I cant see it being a barrier to him approving you for surgery. In fact, if anything it shows that you really have tried everything to lose the weight yourself and by having the balloon you have shown that you cannot maintain the weightloss long term without surgical intervention.

Good luck for Thursday hun. Can't wait to hear how it goes. xx

Roch, I very much doubt that the PCT will even be informed that you have had surgery in the past. They will be looking to see if you meet the criteria now - ie BMI over 40 or BMI +35 with comoribidities. I can understand you worrying though hun.

As far as the consultant is concerned I cant see it being a barrier to him approving you for surgery. In fact, if anything it shows that you really have tried everything to lose the weight yourself and by having the balloon you have shown that you cannot maintain the weightloss long term without surgical intervention.

Good luck for Thursday hun. Can't wait to hear how it goes. xx

Thanks Sam for responding but it will be in my history that he fills out to apply for funding.
Thanks hun hope they do think like that.
Take care xxx

Back