• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going to pubs/bars.....

chubby funster

Met a friend last night at a bar, ordered her a drink (diet coke), then the dreaded question, "what can I get you?" Argh! Nightmare! I've no idea, nothing fizzy, obvs no alcohol, nothing sugary. Ummm so I had tap water and a cup of tea!!!!
What do you all drink? X

Good question, cant wait to see the answers to this. I went to the pub on my pre-op diet and ended up getting a bottle of still mineral water but not all pubs have bottled water. x

I don't drink anyway so usually have lime & soda or a St Clements, but now it will have to be still mineral water or a fruit juice & mineral water as a treat. On holiday I usually have fanta but this year it will have to be mineral water no gas or zumo (fresh squeezed orange juice served with sugar on the side) and dilute it. Even my favourite treat Shloer is off limits now unless I let it go flat.

I dare not have fruit juice, scared of dumping! Eek!! Is it ok to have it watered down then?
I asked the bar man to check if some juice (I think it was called Drench) had any sugar, he said "I don't know but there's 33% extra free!!" It turns out it was riddled with sugar!!!!

Vodka and diet coke loads of ice and stir to death,one lasted all night with water in between.Or wine spritzer done the same way.I took a carton of sugarfree cranberry juice to a party looks like wine!Tropicana still lemonade very nice too!

Is diet coke ok to drink? I thought it was quite corrosive, but maybe that only applies to the early stages.

I dare not have fruit juice, scared of dumping! Eek!! Is it ok to have it watered down then?
I asked the bar man to check if some juice (I think it was called Drench) had any sugar, he said "I don't know but there's 33% extra free!!" It turns out it was riddled with sugar!!!!

Yes you can water it down or put lots of ice in and let it start to melt.
I haven't dumped on orange juice but have on pineapple juice.
You can always try it at home first.

Is diet coke ok to drink? I thought it was quite corrosive, but maybe that only applies to the early stages.

I personally would stay away from fizzy drinks for a few months. Some people have been told never to have them and some have been told in moderation.

I tried a sip of diet coke 7 months after my bypass and hated the taste of it and to be honest I don't really miss it at all

I was told no fizz ever! Haven't really missed it which surprised me as I'd have a few cans of diet pepsi or coke a day!

I went back to work this week and went to the pub last night. My tipple is now J20 with a glass full of ice! The ice waters it down so its not too sweet and one will last me about an hour! And I now drink with a straw! Three sips with the straw held together, feels like I'm taking big long sips when I'm thirsty but only a little drink is getting through the pinched straw!
My stage one diet said I could have orange juice with water and it hasn't caused any dumping so far.

Orange juice and soda water. The orange juice takes some of the fizz out of the soda water plus if you sip it slowly letting the ice melt it helps.

Personally as someone who used to LOVE diet fizzy drinks i have to say just keep away from it. We are recommended post op not to have them and i for one dont think the hospital tells us that because they are just been mean.

I used to have either a hot beverage or a small orange juice in a big class topped up with water. Alternatively grab a fruit shoot and tip it into a glass?

I can't tolerate even the slightest bit of fizz. I've tried knocking the gas out with ice and a stirrer but even a little fizz left behind causes me pain.
After my op i tried pure orange and pure pineapple juice and J20 at home to see if i dumped on them and providing i put plenty of ice to dilute the sugar content and drink slowly i'm okay with them. (i get a bit of reflux from the orange these days so tend to rely on the pineapple juice or J20 more)
So my advice would be try everything at home first before risking it in a public place and in time you'll find a few things you're okay with.

im dreading giving up my pepsi max, i drink so much of it, squash, juice or water from now on x

I was the same with my coke zero. It was difficult at first but I managed. I now drink a lot of coffee instead lol

I was the same with my coke zero. It was difficult at first but I managed. I now drink a lot of coffee instead lol

i like coffe but it gives me the shakes if i dont eat at certain times, making most of drink pepsi at the mo lol b4 my op x

i used to love J20, i went out a few days ago and i was frightened to try it... think i might now, thank you xxx

dont know what ill drink, i dont drink tea or coffee or fruit juice, all i drink is diluted sugar free orange, but pubs dont serve that. ill be ok at home but ill have to drink water if i go out. thats going to be fun.

lindy62

Back