• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Empress Paula back from band fitted

EMPRESS PAULA

Well here i am back and feeling great, below is a quick update of how it went for me! The last 48 hours.......
(I did try and post this last night but the thread would not send) 2 nights ago i was writing on here how i didnt know what i was doing now im back with the band in place and hardly beieving that the operation has been done.
Thursday night i had toast and milk at 10pm and was in bed for 10.30pm, slept through until the alarm woke me at 5.30am surpised i had a good sleep, after a quick shower i was in my friend's Carolines car for 6am! We arrived at Birmingham Heartlands for 7.20am, no reception open! Not knowing where to go a king lady showed us the way, and it turned out she was going to be in theatre with me, she promised to look after me later! Arriving at the day ward i was taken straight through and shown my bed and immedietly met the anethatist who answered all my concerns and got me to sign the forms. By 8am another lady called Sue was in the bed next to me who was also having the band fitted so it was good to share experiences with her whilst we waited. The nurses came and introduced themselves, and they were all fantastic, and were all day, i could not fault them all the time. My friend was allowed through to sit with me, and then the dietician came in and chatted and weighed us. I had lost a grand 18lb pre-op!
Went for a quick wee, and as i came out the nurse told me to get my gown and stockings on! What! I thought, i haven't got my head prepared yet! Too late! I was halfway through changing and Dr Super the Surgeon came in, 'oops, sorry i will come back later he says! I said 'no, you are going to see more later so don't worry!' He then went through everything with me and was great too, no arrogance that he is said to show, and we even had a little joke together. He told me he would be glueing the cuts and i would not even have any dressings on with this new glue he has!
Of he went, i then got put up on to the bed, at this point i burst into tears, it was all going to fast for me! My friend started to panick, the nurses were fab and gave me a tissue and kind words and i was wheeled away by the theatre staff. Down corridors, up a lift and into theatre (sometimes they operate in the room next to day care and then you have to walk in).
The lovely lady from the car park appeared and stroked my arm and cheek and put me at ease and removed my soggy tissue from me, i looked at the clock it was 9.55am. I was wheeled in and got on to the other bed, where they then started preparing me very fast and efficiently. a guy appeared above me and told me i would be the first ugly mug i would see when i awake in recovery, gave me a wink and asked what i liked to drink, so i told him rum and coke! I then had a small scratch to my hand and a mask put over my face, the anesthetic didnt work immediately and i remember them having a conversation about it, but then a tingling feeling came over my neck and face and next......
I opened my eyes and there was the guy i saw earlier saying hello Paula, your in recovery! I said hello i want a drink, he said rum or vodka and coke?? Of course i onyl got water, which was much needed as i dont think i have ever felt so thirsty. He wheeled me back to day ward in the bed, the journey i do not really remember much. Back in day ward my friend was texting everyone whilst i was given more water, i was so thirsty and my lips were so dry, thank goodness i took a chap stick with me, it was much needed. I then tried to sleep but couldnt as too much going on around me. Sue got bought back, she apparantly was wating outside theatre and could here them call my name!
I had a niggly pain so asked for pain killers, which were bought with a cup of tea, but i couldnt drink it and settled for water. Lay back down and tried to sleep but couldnt, whilst my friend was snoring away in the chair next to me! Bless her!
They told me i had extra anesthetic as i didnt respond quick too it as well as extra pain releif whilst in theatre. I Was dressed by 3pm, and in the car on way home by 5.15pm! Home at 7pm and sat up talking and watching tv til 12midnight and drank a milkshake.
Had a good sleep even though woke a few times with a strange jumping sensation, and getting up for numerous wees!
So today, first day, i got myself up and downstairs, son was in next room if needed, had friends and family round all day getting me what needed, but felt capable of doing it myself really, and made sure i kept moving about and have not been sleep again. Slight niggly pain and a bit of wind but that is it! I have drank 1.5litres of water, 2 milkshakes, hot chocolate and watered down soup and it has all gone down fine. So now i am off to sleep again and waiting to see what tommorrow brings, it can not be this easy! I have had worst period pains! I have heard for some that day 2 and 3 are worse so i will take each day as it comes, and in the meantime it is a day closer to the new sized me! xxx Thanks to all those on here that have asked after me or given good advice ti is appreciated
P.S - now day 2 and have woke up to try and repost this, i now have a pain at the back of my neck and head so going to take an asprin and go back to sleep, but no pain in stomach!

Wonderful update. I am glad it all went well and you are now a loser.

What a great read.

Well done on going through with the surgery. What milshakes are you drinking? How many weeks has your surgeon put you on liquids for

So pleased it went well. i got quite excited reading your story cant wait for mine to be approved (or not:sigh:) take it easy and please tell us how you get on Bridie X

Great read Paula.
What pre-op diet was you on before and what diet have they given you for afterwards?
Reason for asking my opp will also be at Heartlands. x

Thanks for sharing your story Paula, although i won't be Heartlands i have met Mr Super and he is a top guy! Hope your recovery continues to go so well!

Thanks Paula for sharing your detailed story it really helps others ,gosh you were home quick how great is that .
I suppose thats the way forward now with banders keep us updated Mia

Thanks Paula... reassuring!

Getting really excited for tomorrow now (and a little bit nervouse but I'm trying not to focus on that too much!)

Hope you've had another good day.

:)

Topboi, i am drinking milk mixed with nesquik shake mix, but i am planning on having some slimfast this week as well, as advised by the surgeon the best thing to get down me x

Great read Paula.
What pre-op diet was you on before and what diet have they given you for afterwards?
Reason for asking my opp will also be at Heartlands. x

Hi thanks Jezabelle. I followed the pre-op diet in the book that was given to me by the dieticians at Heartlands. There was a choice of 5 diets over a period of 4 weeks, so i did a bit of each really. First week for 4 days milk and yogurt only but soon got bored so moved on to whole foods for 2.5 weeks, more of a calorie controlled thing really, but as i am bad at cheating myself, and did numerous times during it! I, on the last week was strict with myself and stuck to milk and yogurt for 7 days but on the last 2 days was so hungry so had baked potato and beans and salad also, it all seemed to do the trick though didnt it!
The diet afterwards seems quite strict compared to some o see mentioned on here, they expect you to follow liquid diet for 4 weeks only then move on to mushy after then, but i think it is going to be personal preference. I have decided not to beat myself up about it and when i am ready to go mushy i will! The diet from the Britsh Obesity website suggests liquid for a week! So if i can do 2-3 weeks liquid i will be happy with that. Hope you get on good when you go there, they are brilliant i have to say again! x

Thanks Paula... reassuring!

Getting really excited for tomorrow now (and a little bit nervouse but I'm trying not to focus on that too much!)

Hope you've had another good day.

:)

Hi Clairus, glad i helped to reassure you, i felt terrible carrying on the night before it, and then reading that you was going in Monday! I certainly would have not wanted to put anyone off. I hope you're day goes as well as mine, and with the minimum of fuss and your recovery is fast too. Trick is too take it easy and let everyone do everything for you! You never told me if you was in Birmingham also? Or was with Dr Super? x Good luck, hope to hear from you soon!! x

Hi all thanks for the replys. Everything is still great, my 2nd night sleep was slightly disturbed with trapped wind, and even though i got up to move around it was slightly painful for a while. Dozed until 5am and then spelt through til 2pm!! Could have carried on sleeping but thought best to get up! Had good day with visitors in and out (got some great friends) who did things like wash up, hang washing out, made the bed, made my soup etc etc whilst i sat around like lady muck! No pain at all just a little niggle near one place but still got wind but burping madly now! Still not been for a number 2 on the loo, but not too worried just yet. Drank more milkshake, chicken soup, hot chocolate and lots of water as well as a raspberry ripple mousse i let dissolve on my tounge, which was a lovely treat! I feel so good i am worrying about the big come down i think i will be experiencing soon! Off to bed now hope to sleep fully x P.s: the only thing im missing is some fresh air so hope to get out tommorrow for a while

Glad everything went well for you and thanks for sharing your story!

Best of luck with everything,
Cuppa xx

Hi Paula,
Great to read that you're home & doing good-
how's things this morning?

great read x congratulations x

Back