• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got my appointment tomorrow,what to expect?

gbone

I used to be super obese
Hi everyone havent posted in a while I have my first appointment with the plastic surgeon tomorrow after months of wrangling over my BMI with the pct they have sent me a formal letter of approval for the funding.

To anyone who has been in this position what will it most likely be at the appointment tomorrow now that the funding is in place I seem a bit up in the air at the moment and dont know what to expect or what happens from now.

Hello,

When i had my consultation on the NHS i was with the PS for about 30 mins. We discussed my background i.e. how much i used to weigh, when i started losing weight, how i did it etc.

We then discussed my lifestyle, job, relationship and any issues that my stomach impacted on.

He then discussed the procedure, the pro's, con's etc and how its done and what happens next.

He then had a look at my tum on a bed, made me raise my legs and do a sit up position etc then he asked me to stand up and assessed me from there. As soon as he finished be basically said he wanted to complete the surgery for me and the waiting list was about 3 months.

I had my photo's taken and an MRSI swab and that was it, i was approved there and then.

I had my TT on 25th June and thinking back now, im pretty certain funding is approved at GP stage, not at PS stage.

Hope this helps :cool:

The funding is already in place ,in stoke you apply to the pct for the funding then you get the referral to the surgeon and I am off to my appointment now so wish me luck

Typical the bloody appointment has been cancelled till aug 11th,they didnt even contact me I got there and was told he was ill another 5 weeks waiting aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

Typical the bloody appointment has been cancelled till aug 11th,they didnt even contact me I got there and was told he was ill another 5 weeks waiting aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!

Oh no!! How annoying! I'd have kicked off but to be fair, it could ruin your chances if you kick up a fuss!

Dont worry, you have the appointment and thats the most important thing :)

Oh no!! How annoying! I'd have kicked off but to be fair, it could ruin your chances if you kick up a fuss!

Dont worry, you have the appointment and thats the most important thing :)

I was amazed how calm I was, I was boiling inside and am a pretty calm guy but when I blow I go over the top bigtime,I kept a lid on it but the anger must have shown in my face along with a few sarcastic comments but I didnt even get a phone call or letter to cancel I had counted down to this appointment for the last 7 months then just as you get one step closer to concluding your weight loss they just say oh you'll have another appointment in 5 weeks like this stuff dosent get you down,I know in the scheme of things its a minor minor setback and a lot of people dont even get near the funding stage and tomorrow I'll be fine but the hard part is knowing the funding is there and I still dont know if the bloody surgeon will do it ive got to hang on 5 more weeks just to then see if Im lucky I have to wait a few more months after that and if I'm not lucky its the end of the road.

Rant over now:lol:

Let it all out - its good to have a rant, it makes me feel better anyways!

Dont worry, use this time to make sure you are at your physical best and maybe up your workout regime, sit ups etc before your consultation :cool:

Let it all out - its good to have a rant, it makes me feel better anyways!

Dont worry, use this time to make sure you are at your physical best and maybe up your workout regime, sit ups etc before your consultation :cool:

I was thinking of the same thing really ramping up my efforts for another month just to keep myself occupied because for the last month or two ive been maintaining because I didnt really want to lose anymore as each pound I lose now dosent make me look better my belly just gets wrinklier:lol: losing extra weight does not help anymore and I have kind of had enough of dieting and I was afraid to add muscle weight ,the thing I want to do as it would have nudged my BMI back up stopping the funding so even though my weight loss was over I was still a slave to the scale I felt like I was treading water and losing motivation not needing to lose anymore but not daring add any on either and I do better when I have something to aim for losing weight I found pretty easy and fun because its sacrifice to see improvements sacrifices to stay the same is a bit harder

Hey gbone.

I noticed that you're in Stoke too. I don't really have an answer for your question as I'm new to the whole process. I actually wanted to ask you a few questions :)

I'm at the stage where I've been to the doctor for the refferal (for WLS), and then about 4/5 weeks later had an appointment with the surgical consult. I'm now waiting on an appointment with the surgeon and dieticion.

I just wondered how long it took you to go through the process here in Stoke? Did you have to fight hard to get funding? And anything else really.

lol Sorry for the long ramble, I've been trying to find someone who has had WLS in Stoke for about a month or so now hehe

Em

Hey gbone.

I noticed that you're in Stoke too. I don't really have an answer for your question as I'm new to the whole process. I actually wanted to ask you a few questions :)

I'm at the stage where I've been to the doctor for the refferal (for WLS), and then about 4/5 weeks later had an appointment with the surgical consult. I'm now waiting on an appointment with the surgeon and dieticion.

I just wondered how long it took you to go through the process here in Stoke? Did you have to fight hard to get funding? And anything else really.

lol Sorry for the long ramble, I've been trying to find someone who has had WLS in Stoke for about a month or so now hehe

Em

I didnt get WLS I lost the weight on my own .

I only went to the docs to see about a tummy tuck when I was at 16 stone down from 25st 4lbs,He applied for the funding and the PCT said they would agree funding only if my BMI was 26 or less no exceptions but they would agree it then, no maintenance phase they didnt even care how much I had lost or how long it took I suppose the skin is the proof, if the GP thought my loose skin was bad and my bmi was 26 that was enough,so the only thing to do was get to 13st 5lbs,I did that then the doc wrote again to confirm my bmi was 25.8 and I got the funding 3 weeks later (I went originally at 16 stone 7 months ago),now I am waiting for the surgeon as my first appointment yesterday was cancelled but the GP told me there was no point him referring me sooner till I had the formal approval letter for the funding.other people seem to go to the surgeon first and then apply for the funding who knows how all this bloody thing works everyone seems to get things in a slightly different way its a bit frustrating my friend got a tummy tuck in kidsgrove and his bmi was still 31

Back