• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got my date for my second appointment at SHR

novamay

Born Free
I have my date for the 2nd Appointment - with Mr Small's clinc - on the 18th May - its at 4.30pm so I will have to eat lightly that day! :eek:

I have my counselling session on 20th April, so will the surgeon put me on the list or will he wait until I see the counsellor?

What else happens, apart from being weighed? My scales are on the fritz at the mo so I don't know where I am target wise. This morning I weighed anywhere between 22.10 and 19.5 (I wish)!

I think I will have to get along to boots and get weighed there.

Hi nova, i am going to srh as well to have a bypass, i have just been given a second chance to get to the weight they want me to be, i was 2lb off this in january when i went, i am now 2lb away from the new target set and i have been told i will be put on the waiting list if i meet this new target, i have just found out my date to see Mr shoiler?(unsure of the spelling) under Mr small is 22nd june and so i am looking at 6 months from then to surgey.
Good luck with everything

Lots of luck for your appointment xxx

Thanks Alison, hope that you get to your target weight by the deadline.

I think its Mr Schroeder? I know there's Messrs Balupuri and Small - not sure what the fourth surgeon is called though. Just says Mr Small on my letter but I guess it could be anyone of them!

Its so tough - I don't lose weight easily - my body doesn't seem to want to part with anything at the moment! I feel lighter - but I don't look any thinner. I got to my target but went on holiday AI for a week and put 5lbs on. Just trying to get that off, and a little more as I don't trust my scales.

Fingers crossed we can both do it this year!

Thanks Alison, hope that you get to your target weight by the deadline.

I think its Mr Schroeder? I know there's Messrs Balupuri and Small - not sure what the fourth surgeon is called though. Just says Mr Small on my letter but I guess it could be anyone of them!

Its so tough - I don't lose weight easily - my body doesn't seem to want to part with anything at the moment! I feel lighter - but I don't look any thinner. I got to my target but went on holiday AI for a week and put 5lbs on. Just trying to get that off, and a little more as I don't trust my scales.

Fingers crossed we can both do it this year!

Hi yes i am sure we will u will get 5lb thats not bad for AI, i had an operation in oct and from then till jan i ut on 16 pound and lost 19 pound in 6 weeks leaving me 2 pound over. not to worry tho i WILL do it this time.
I am sure you will be fine and we can do it i know that.
Good luck hun xx

Hello ladies. I'm under North Tyneside Rake Lane. I think it's a similar team.
I hope you don't mind a quick question. I have my seminar tomorrow night. I've done the weight loss course so that box is ticked. Another lady on here has just had a seminar and received her 1st nurse appointment in 6 months time. I was wondering how long ater that initial appointment (where I believe you're set a weight loss goal) is your next appointment so see if you've achieved??
Thanks and good luck!!
xx

Hi Louise,

I waited around 14 weeks from seminar (8 Sept) to nurse/dietician appointment (23 Dec), and it'll be 21 weeks between 1st appointment and 2nd appointment with surgeon (18 May).

I think that you only get set a target if you have put weight on between the seminar and 1st appointment. I put on a little weight unfortunately, and was asked to lose 5kg (about 11 pounds). Others on the site had lost and weren't set a wl target - not sure if they have had an earlier 2nd appointment because of this tho!

SHR have always said to me that it will be approx 4 or 5 months between appointments; and waiting list of 6 months . They've been right so far, so if I make my target I will be looking at mid-November for the operation.

To be honest it sounds like its never going to happen but the best thing to do is to just get on with your life and forget about the timescales - they soon come around!

I'm from Stockton and my GP referred me in June 2010 without having to attend any wl clinics - I've done them all before anyway!

Hi,
This wasn't the case with with me,
I had my seminar in October (28th ) and didn't get my appointment with the nurse / dietitian until 10 th febuary , because I had lost a further stone since my seminar making a total of two stones loss since referral I wasn't given a weight loss target just told to maintain the weight I was at that time.
I was also told then that there was another 6 months wait before I saw the surgeon ... to date I still don't have that appointment so I would say the weight loss theory is not necessarily so. I didn't need any extrta tests so there were no delays .. I am looking at an appointment with the surgeon in maybe August but due to holidays could be later

That's gr8 news nova - hope all goes well and you get on that waiting list soon x

gud luck im 2wks post op from sunderland had bypass and im back to normal dont even feel like ive had anything done x

Hi Novamay,

I am also being seen at Sunderland. I am 2 steps ahead of you. You will have the counselling session then you see the consultant. In the counselling session they will weigh you and give you some questions to fill in about how you feel about yourself. You will also get your target weight, and you tell them which surgery you prefer. They will ask what sort of foods you eat, and how often. They then go away and discuss what surgery THEY think is best for you.

I didnt get my next appointment until several months after that. It was with one of the consultants. They weigh you and then put you on the waiting list if you have reached your target. But in the meantime you then have a gastroscopy. I had mine a few months back, and am now waiting for a surgery date.

I had reached my target weight (just !). On the day I actually didnt know if I would be classed as reaching it or not as it was very close.

I have to be honest, I don't feel that the support has been that good. The first group meeting was pretty good. The first lady (at the counselling session) was also lovely. However the consultant I saw after my counselling session (the first consultant I had seen and the one who checked my weight), seemed very rushed. He had someone waiting to be weighed in the next room and I just felt that he couldnt wait to get rid of me. I dont even know what his name was. I didnt really get chance to ask any questions. He asked me if I had any, but was already getting ready to leave as he asked me. He told me that my next appointment would be the gastroscopy (I only had chance to ask what would happen next), and he said it would be him that did it. I dont know who he was, as the name listed on the appointment letter was not the man who came to the appointment)

When I went to the gastroscopy, it was not him as he had stated it would be, but a different man. I had no idea if he even knew why I was there, until he weighed me (I didnt know I would be getting weighed again at this point). He told me off for putting on weight, and generally seemed annoyed. He also did the procedure very quickly. Even the nurses made a joke to him about the speed he did it, and about it being close to dinner time. He told me he didnt know if I could continue due to putting on some weight, but then said "oh you've already been put on the waiting list". It seemes like he wasnt sure himself of the process ?

Anyway, my advice would be to make a note of any questions you have, and make sure you ask them. I STILL dont feel that I've had chance to ask questions. Really there needs to be an opportunity to ask questions after the appointment where you are told you have been accepted. As you can't really let anything sink in properly, or get your hopes up until that time. There definately needs to be the opportunity to ask questions with a consultant who takes his time.

It would also be helpful to see the same consultant each time (I still dont know who is doing the surgery). Or at least for the name on the letter to match the name of the person you actually see.

I think with such major surgery, it's important to at least meet the surgeon. It's hard that you are putting your life in the hands of someone who you potentially don't meet until on the day.

It would be also nice if they could understand that losing the weight and keeping it off isn't easy. If that was the case then why would any of us need the surgery in the first place ...

Back