• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got turned down for a job for being fat today

louisaL

looking to make a change!
I have been a nanny for 13yrs as well as opening my own nanny agency last year.

I have been looking for a nanny position to do part time to earn some extra money whilst my business gets off the ground.

One of the clients who asked for a nanny last Sept but didnt need one in the end rang me this morning and asked if I would be interested and could I pop round to discuss it.

I went there this morning and she said (in exact words) she wouldn't employ me as her son has a problem with fat people and she will not lie she is a 'fatist' as well!!!

I am uttly shocked as i didnt think people admit to it even though we know their out there staring at us!

People have said i should sue but i dont have any evidence it was for that reason.

Last edited:
WOW! In one breath I think - least she is honest - in the other I want to kick the honesty out of her!
Im so sorry you had to come face to face with this - again I can understand your point about not having any evidence, it would be the same if she was sexist, racist, homophobic etc...
It must have been awful to stand there and have this rubbish said to you so I am sorry. I just hope you can move on from this and embrace that when you see her next, bypassed - you can be happy in the knowledge that your fitter and healthier than you are now - and of course that your will ALWAYS have better manners than scum like her x

:-O

Sounds like you are well out of it.

I dont think you have grounds to sue, as like you say you have no evidence.
Just try to forget about it and move on.

If anything you should feel sorry for her, her brain must be tiny. xxxx

I'm not the suing kind tbh and i think i was just shocked she was so honest about it.
Cant win they either lie to you why you dont get a job (when you expect it to be your weight) or do this and knocks you for six.

Oh yes, i walked out the house feeling completely sorry for her and more so that her son is being brought up to believe what she believes.

Lou, you will lose the weight. She will always be an ignorant so n so....

Head up high girl, you will go to the ball xx

OMG I am totally gobsmacked :eek: How rude and ignorant can some people be!!! Im sorry but I know violence doesnt solve anything but I think Id would have slapped her! Its exactly the same as saying "Im sorry but I cant employ you because you are black and myself and my son are racist" She would never get away with that so what makes her think she can get away with what she said to you. Surely as she is a future employer something can be done to make her change how she speaks to people. No one can stop her thinking but Im bl**dy sure they can stop her saying it....arrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!! Im p*ssed off for you! XX

id av slapped her, silly cow!

I'm disgusted by this attitude and it would be the best option to give her a 'wide' berth. Sorry you have had to be insulted like this, I don't see it as honesty but pure ignorance and insensitivity...

Take no notice and put it behind you Angel.

Sending a huge hug and loads of love xxx

I'd have pointed out that at least I can lose weight, she'd never be able to find a surgeon capable of making her face worth looking at.

Andrea

Reactions: Bev
Really is horrible that you found yourself in this situation, but in all honesty, it sounds like to me you had a lucky escape.....if she was that rude to you when she was trying to find a nanny for her spawn, basically while you were being interviewed, could you imagine how difficult this woman would be to work for? I hope in a few days you will realise your fortune in managing to avoid being involved on any level with a person of this low calibre.....and just remember it's a small world out there....there may well be a time in the future when she is desperate for childcare & she'll come back to your agency looking for a nanny...you'll be able to smile sweetly and say you have a problem with rude people so can't help someone like her....I'll be wishing for you!!!! xxx

Reactions: Bev
What a rude ignorant and simply vile individual. And sadly her child is being brought up to be equally obnoxious.

Looks like you've had a lucky escape, but it doesn't help with how hurt and offended you must have felt.

Sending huge hugs your way.

Grace xxxx

Some people don't deserve to be around decent folk. I agree with some of the others that you have had a lucky escape. It's a shame that her son is living in such a biased home.

What a b*tch! Sorry but I don't think I could have held my tongue! I'd have said to her I'm sorry you feel like that, and I'm more sorry you're bringing your son up to be as pig ignorant and narrow minded as you are! (Althought I think the words may have been a bit stronger!)
Their loss hun - something better will come along for you.

Oh my word!!!!!
Louisa ...I am speechless(that doesn't happen very often!)

hun...you had a lucky escape ...... i dont know what to say..
I am still speechless!!!

Unfortunately the UK has still no legal protection for people who are a victim of prejudice because of their size - race, sex, disability, age yes but weight no. What a nasty woman and we can imagine how that boy will grow up.....

Back