• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Grumble's Diary

Hiya :)

I started off in the Gastric band section but have ended up here (I'll explain later!) I hope it's ok to join! Here's a little about me....

I'm 37, I live in the south east near Brighton & Eastbourne with my partner & our daughter, who is 3. Life is pretty good apart from the restrictions of my weight, I'm 21 stone (gulp) & have struggled with my weight since I was 8!

From the age of about 18 I started dieting, weightwatchers, lighterlife, slimfast, calorie counting, slimming world, the Cambridge weight plan. You name it, I've probably done it! I had quite good success with weightwatchers & then later on slimming world (which I still think is a great plan!) but I could never stick to it enough to get down to a healthy weight, I always slipped up, then left & carried on chowing down on everything & most recently binging.

This time last year, my Dad told me & my Mum he had cancer, he refused all treatment & was very stubborn about having any doctor involvement. It's been a very tough year of seeing him slowly get eaten away by the cancer & having to care for him & my Mum as well as my daughter. As always food was my crutch, but this time is went into over drive.

My Dad sadly passed away at the end of July, the outcome for me was a lot of bottled up feelings & 5 stone heavier!

Time to sort my life out, seeing as my life seems to revolve around food & the restrictions my size has, that means time to get healthy & smaller!

I've been dipping my toe in the water for about 5 years , looking at surgery, but always thought, well I'm sure I can do it with dieting, which I do for about 6 months, then it all goes wrong & I put the weight back on plus some more!

This time I need to do it properly. I bit the bullet & made an appointment with the consultant!!!

On 9th September, I met with my consultant with a shed load of questions about the gastric band. I had made up my mind, that's what I was going to have done, mainly because that's all I could afford.

The meeting was fab, he was really lovely & explained the whole process of all the treatments on offer, the pro's & cons & what he thought would be best for me as a person.
Hearing the whole she-bang about the band scared me quite a bit, not only could I not lose any weight but quite a few things could go wrong later on & I'd have to have it revised/taken out. All in all we agreed that the best treatment would be the sleeve. My Mum has very, very kindly agreed to pay for my treatment....yay!!!

To qualify to have surgery at Brighton Bariatrics I need to have a BMI of 45.9 or less, I don't at the moment, so he said I should go & get to that bmi then contact them to arrange an op date, then I get to see a psychologist & dietician & it all goes from there!!!

To say I'm excited is an understatement! I've started to roughly do slimming world (as much as I can remember) until I can get to a meeting next week. Once I lose 14lbs (or more) I can contact them. :bliss:

Thank you for reading, I should probably shut up now :D

:hug99:

Last edited:
Hi, well I think the sleeve was the right choice for me and the one I thought I could most easily live it. The op went well, was obviously painful after 3 days I didn't take any pain killers as I was more worried about constipation . I had issues with dressings but only because I'm allergic to the adhesive!
All smoothly so far, 3 weeks today. Still on fluids for another week, it's got easier as time has gone on, I have a fluid plan I stick to everyday and it works and I can get 60g protein in. I e lost 12.4kg which is very nearly 2 stone in 5 weeks inc LSD.
The worst thing is cooking tea every night for the family and catering for grandsons 1st birthday today and tomorrow but I can and do , do it without any cheating!
this liquid only regime forces you to come to terms with the fact we can live without the bad food choices and we can ignore the demon in our head and we are glad when we do x
This liquid only regime really gives

I'm very pleased with my sleeve..good luck with your journey..smash that weight loss target and stay on course, it's so worth it! My suggestion is do some gentle walking if you can it will give your system a kick start! Just focus on your goal when you open that fridge door or pick up a pizza menu to ring for a takeaway!! It really changes your whole life x

Thank you both so much for your input, it's nice to know I'm not on my own. The only people who know I'm going to have surgery is my Mum & my partner, they're both really supportive but it's nice to know there are others who are going/have gone through the same thing :grouphugg:

Hi, well I think the sleeve was the right choice for me and the one I thought I could most easily live it. The op went well, was obviously painful after 3 days I didn't take any pain killers as I was more worried about constipation . I had issues with dressings but only because I'm allergic to the adhesive!
All smoothly so far, 3 weeks today. Still on fluids for another week, it's got easier as time has gone on, I have a fluid plan I stick to everyday and it works and I can get 60g protein in. I e lost 12.4kg which is very nearly 2 stone in 5 weeks inc LSD.
The worst thing is cooking tea every night for the family and catering for grandsons 1st birthday today and tomorrow but I can and do , do it without any cheating!
this liquid only regime forces you to come to terms with the fact we can live without the bad food choices and we can ignore the demon in our head and we are glad when we do x
This liquid only regime really gives

First off, I hope your Grandson had a brilliant birthday <3

Well done for not taking pain meds, I'm assuming it was copeable, either that or you are just hardcore at pain!! :) I'm worried about constipation as I have a prolapse & it hates me being bunged up if you know what I mean!?

2 stone is brilliant! Congratulations! I can only imagine cooking for the family being hard. I'll be cooking 3 seperate things I'm assuming, One for my 3 year old (she's very fussy!) one for my partner (who's a meat eater) and one for me (who is veggie/won't be eating!) I hope I can cope! x

I'm very pleased with my sleeve..good luck with your journey..smash that weight loss target and stay on course, it's so worth it! My suggestion is do some gentle walking if you can it will give your system a kick start! Just focus on your goal when you open that fridge door or pick up a pizza menu to ring for a takeaway!! It really changes your whole life x

Thank you :) I'm doing my best, so far I've lost 4lbs, yay!! Another 1 stone & I should be ok to book in, I think.
I walk a reasonable amount now as I'm always out with my daughter but I have joint hypermobility & along with my size, I end up with very painful joints/bones if I over do it.

I've been cutting down the size of my meals & have been having salad/veggies with every meal. I stopped drinking coke/pepsi/other fizz about 6 weeks ago, so I think I've kicked that habit now. No takeaways in site so far, go me ;)

xx

Yes he had a great day out Thursday, birthday party yesterday and today all the family round and I cooked lunch! X

Yes he had a great day out Thursday, birthday party yesterday and today all the family round and I cooked lunch! X

Fab :) Well done for cooking lunch! My daughter just came back from my Mum's, she went round for a few hours & came back with chocolate chip fairy cakes that they'd made....she really wants me to have one!! I told her I might have one later :sigh:

Just have a bite x

Luckily they were only tiny (and tasted pretty rubbery, haha) so I had a little bit and not touched anything naughty today.

Did you both have to do a milk & yoghurt diet for 2 weeks before the op? Was it 3 pints of milk & 2 low fat yogs a day?

4lb's down, 10 to go until I'm at their weight bracket for surgery :)

I had a phone call from my surgeon's secretary yesterday to see if I was still happy with everything, all is going ahead & now the next contact I'll have is from the psychologist, full steam ahead!! Yay!

I didn't do the milk and yoghurt LSD. I did one day of 4 ready made slimfast and one day on the restrictive food diet, it worked really well :)

I'm on day 10 of my diet (not pre-op) hurry up weight loss! I've had to ask my partner to hide the scales as I've been obsessing about weighing myself. I've decided to weigh myself every Friday then in 2 weeks go & get weighed at the hospital.

My surgeon rang me & said just to pop in when I feel ready to get weighed and to text him when I reach the healthy BMI & we can arrange a surgery date! Eeeeep. Hurry up!

Back