• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

H. Pylori Bacteria and Sleeve

Lisa-Em

Hello,

I've just been told that the biopsy taken when I had my endoscopy shows I have H.Pylori. Reading about it on the web it's linked to a raised chance of stomach cancer. I want to have a sleeve. Have any sleevers been diagnosed with this pre-op and if so were there any implications with/after surgery?
Thanks all x

Sorry, I should have said: the increased risk of stomach cancer is scaring me as obviously with a sleeve most of my stomach will be taken away, so if anything goes wrong there's not much to work with.
I know I'm over-thinking, i was quite unaffected earlier into the process, but I'm realising it's for life and just want to consider everything!!
Thanks again xx

I know of it. I think it has to be treated before your surgery. Sorry I can't be more help x

Thanks for your reply though! :)
I think I posted in a panic. I rang SRH and spoke to Arun, who advised it's not a big deal, lots of people have it and anti-biotics will sort me with no implications on my choice of operation or future worries cancer-wise. Phew!!
Xx

I was told I had this after I came round from having my Sleeve and a large course of omeprazole and amoxicillin was prescribed. Taking the tablets for several weeks was frustrating but other than that nothing to worry about. H-pylori isn't anything new and it's not uncommon and you shouldn't worry yourself unduly about it. People have been diagnosed with this for many years now and many GP's just prescribe normal antacids.

One of the ladies had it when I was in hospital and she was having a sleeve. She just had to take some antibiotics. I think it's quite common. x

Thanks everyone. I have been prescribed 2 lots of antibiotics and something for acid. I panicked myself by googling after I'd got the results and of course all I could see was the dramatic stuff!! Xx

Back