• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Helicobacter Pylori post wls?

top_kat

just wondering if anyone on here has had or been treated for H.pylori post wls.

I've had some acid issues which I spoke to my GP about today, and she's running a whole variety of tests because despite everything going on with the band and it potentially leaking something just doesn't feel right. For example I can eat foods but depending on what I eat depends on the reaction I get upon eating. I made a quorn curry tonight, can eat it fine, no band issues, no getting stuck but as soon as it hits the stomach then I suffer both sickness wise and stomach pain wise (not near port area or even where band is) I don't get pain behind breast bone and the food isn't stuck it goes down fine, but depending on what it is, determines how my stomach reacts. It is also in the back of my mind as it can be linked to stomach cancer, something that links from my Dads side of the family.....

If you have had it or been treated for it, were you found to have ulcers or did you have the non ulcer dyspepsia? Did the treatment sort it? I'm guessing if they investigate further with a gastroscope then it may mean having my band emptied :( just what I need after 18 months, 14 fills and still not restricted :(

I can't get in to the doctors until a week Friday for the blood tests which is crap in itself, but just wondering if anyone has any experience of/with this and how you got on?

Oh Kat :( No experience, but didn't want to read and run. Big hugs my love.

Oh Kat :( No experience, but didn't want to read and run. Big hugs my love.

Thanks Hun.

Can I just say how AMAZING, AMAZING you look in your new avatar pic, fab Hun :)

Hi I was treated for this a couple of years ago but it was before WLS. I had a frequent heartburn and reflux and my test came positive for H Pylo. I got a 10 days treatment of 3 different antibiotics but although it sorted out the bacteria - it did not help with the symptoms. I also had gastroscopy but it did not show anything wrong (hernia or ulcers). My doctor told me that some people just have it and since then I am on lansoprazole and probably will stay on it for the rest of my life or until they find out a better way of dealing with it. Hope the will sort it out for you. X

Never suffered myself, but know my mum has, but she did have an ulcer die to taking pain relief for a long period.
She often felt nauseous mainly after eating, heartburn and reflux. She did the 10 days of MEGA treatment and has been perfect ever since. Good luck Kat x

I know its an infection that lives in the gut and usually treat with 2 different tablets then lansoprasole to keep acid down and the bacteria from growing again.x

Thanks everyone. I've got a prescription for the omezaprole to go on with - just as well as I cannot get in for the blood tests until a week friday!

Going to make contact with my provider too just to put them in the picture, I'm concerned with the band, because although food is going down ok, if my stomach doesn't agree that it should be there, I'm sick, which isn't great with the band.

ugh!

Was found by chance on my first endoscopy after bypass due to bleeding. Didn't have an ulcer then. Never had any reflux or acid problems ever.

Take amoxicillin, metronidazole and lansoprazole in combination to cure it.

Subsequent to being cured then got gastritis and then had a bleeding ulcer for six weeks before getting that treated.

Never knew I had it and never had any symptoms from it.

My 1st gastroscopy showed sites of gastritis so she told me as I left but no tablets or prescription given. Proud of my self haven endure it only to receive a letter in the post to say had to have a second one to check everything had settled down with medication, what meds I sadi had to ring and my doc had to prescribe lansoprasole. I was gutted having to endure nutha gastroscopy. The site had looked much better and I stayed on it til I was 9 months post op to prevent ulcers. x

Hi,

I have the same problem and it is progressively getting worse. All fluid is out of my band. but often cant eat, am nauseaous and then vomit. This mainly occurs at night. I am now on maximimum omeprazole and ranitidine as well as motillium. I have got to give this another 10 days then back to docs. Blood tests came back fine, gastoscopy showed severe ulcerative osophagitis :( also negative for heliopyloric bacteria

If these tablets don't work Im to be referred back to hospital where i may need surgery to correct.

Finding this post interesting as have felt very alone. It doesn't feel like the band is the cause but am worried that the docs will say it is.

Hope you feel better soon -

Jo

So it was my follow up appointment from all my blood tests with regards to the acid issues Im having (and still having!)

Well, all my blood tests came back clear apart from my serum folate levels, she's not worried about them but said an increase of fruit and veg would help, but cos all of my other levels are ok she wouldn't recommend that I take vitamin tablets, but could if needed. With regards to the acid, she was surprised it hasn't gotten better, but after feeling stomach she doesn't think I have an ulcer, or that there's a gastric hernia.

She does however think that the acid has potentially burned the oesophagus and that because sickness is a regular thing, that the tablets (omeprazole) aren't working correctly as its not getting the chance to line the stomach.

So, she has doubled the dose, she has then given me antacid to take after eating, but has given me a tablet to take before eating as she wonders whether because of my band, my stomach has indeed become sluggish and its not make the food pass through the stomach into the intestine/bowels hence why it is then making me sick.

I did explain to her though that the food isn't stagnating in my stomach before being sick, that it can literally be eat, few minutes the stomach starts reacting and then I'm sick and this is the norm.

But, there is the chance that there is an issue with the band/placement etc so she has asked me to follow that up with HW. I'm due to see them on thursday anyway as it is my 6 week fluid check to see if it is leaking :(

She has said she will refer me for endoscopy/gastroscopy if needed as she doesn't feel I should have to pay private fees for that and that she will follow this up.

So, I'm thinking that this maybe the time to make HW give me my Xray check to make sure the band is in ok and there's no issues, as they will be doing an xray check for the leak anyway. So as I'm approaching the end of my 2 year post op care which is a real nightmare, I may as well use it so I can get sorted and if a new band is needed some fills before it runs out!

But, not really further forward, except to say that she is leaning towards it being a potential issue with the band, its placement or that the stomach reflux and acid (of which we aren't sure of the cause) has caused the oesophagus to narrow which could mean I may need oesophageal dilation.

But some of the symptoms point to potential oesophageal tumour/cancer so she doesn't want to leave it too long to then book the endoscopy. Oh the joys. :-| time to discuss all of this on thursday now with HW too and MAKE them listen!

XXX.... thinking of you, as you said no clean cut ansas, just more questioning...but that's how diagnosis is made I guess, elimination ... hang on in there Kat XXX

Best of luck today tk xxx

Hope you get some good news today TK.

good luck

Thank you, heading up there in half an hour or so, hoping for some help to get some answers especially after a most awful night acid wise. I've got a feeling they may want to leave my band significantly empty tho :(

Back