• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stomach acid and hunger

mr97

Just thought I pass on some info that might me useful for fellow sleevers:)
Last week I experienced some strange hunger pangs. I say strange as I have become aware of head hunger and hunger feelings associated with being thirsty. I felt a little down as I feared the worst and imagined that the hunger hormone was returning with a vengence and I would revert back to the person I was that constantly battled with food. :(
During this period I had stopped taking Lansoprazole (a tablet that prevents or reduces the amount of acid my stomach produces) - under direction from the hospital via my GP.
Prior to surgery and like many of us, I suffered from acid reflux and had been taking a similar drug called omeprazole for years. Like Lansoprazole these drugs are called PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). I imagine that Lansoprazole was prescribed after my surgery to help with the healing process as often Acid Reflux can be corrected after having the sleeve.
Acid reflux asside, I found some interesting info regarding a 'rebound effect' of stopping this and similar PPI drugs. Apparently, the production of acid after stopping a PPI can increase somewhat as the body gets used to not having a drug inhibiting the production of acid. The result of this adjustment period can cause feelings of hunger as the stomach copes with the unrestricted produced of acid. I'm do not know why, but apparently any inflamation in the stomach after the VGS like this or worst case an ulcer etc can often be felt in the form of hunger pangs. I experinced the very same pangs straight after surgery after coming out of the anesthetic.
The good news is that in most cases the body adjusts and starts to regulate the production of acid as it is supposed to and in our case, for our sleeved stomachs. Some people found that during the adjustment period chewing a gaviscon or similar antiacid really helped. In my case, chewing a gavison tab completely removed the hunger pang I was feeling, reinforcing that my original fears were unfounded and that I was merely experincing my stomach being irritated by too much acid.
At the moment my stomach seems to be adjusting well to not having any PPIs in my system and I no longer need to chew on any antiacids so hopefully this rebound effect has passed.:)
I thought I'd pass this on to others as not all hunger pangs can be narrowed down to just thirst or head-hunger - even though I'm occasionally visited by them at times:p
Being a none medical person I have only submitted this post for anyone that finds themself in a similar prediciment. If symptoms persist after stopping a PPI you may need to go back on them, either way see the doctor.:)
Loving my sleeve by the way:p

Thank you for this info x

Although I am a bypasser I found it helpful but I'm confused about you saying the sleeve can help acid reflux.
My surgeon said it makes it worse and that a sleeve shouldn't be done in reflux sufferers.
The info we are told is so at odds!
But thanks again x

I agree rudders, I was told the sleeve was unsuitable for reflux sufferers (like me). But that the bypass would cure it (it has).

I've found that advice and information changes from hospital to hospital. I my own experience as someone who suffered from reflux for over 10 years, I no longer suffer since having the VGS. I know the opposite has been true for some.

Back