• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping???

mum21baba

Hello everyone,
I am due to have my band removed and converted to a gastric sleeve on the 17th of September. I chose the sleeve as the idea of 'dumping' really put me off the bypass. However, i have since been reading on the web that you can also get dumping syndrome with a sleeve!! Do you any of you sleevers suffer with this?

Hi Mum21baba,

I have experienced at least 6 or 7 episodes of dumping since I had my sleeve op in April -- but everyone is different. Some bypassers say they DON'T get dumping, and some sleevers don't .... and some sleevers do etc etc.

It appears to be slightly random chance who is affected and who isn't.

For me it means I have to be a bit more careful with any food with a sugar content -- I can tolerate *small* amounts but too much sugar in one quick hit causes problems.

The thing that caused me the "worst" episode was one small glass of orange juice which I thought would be OK because I hadn't eaten, and was not eating with it ....... and was trying to avoid every other choice in a pub that might contain alcohol or bubbles (like coke) ...... of course the only "other" option is water, but I didn't want to be as "boring" as having water ..... but the one medium / small glass of orange juice caused me a major embarrassing dump within an hour of drinking it.

Hello everyone,
I am due to have my band removed and converted to a gastric sleeve on the 17th of September.

P.S. really pleased to hear you have got the conversion to the sleeve that you wanted.

I remember your posts from several months ago when you had been almost "cornered" into having a band partly due to your family's concerns about a "permanent" operation like the sleeve.

All the ops work but I do believe that it really helps if we have the op of our own choice, the one we wanted and feel most confident about. :)

I'm going to have to ask a silly question but.....what is dumping??
Is it being sick??
Apologies for sounding like a thicko

The symptoms change from person to person. Its basically when too much undigested sugar or fat hit the bowel as the new, smaller digestive tract cannot digest everything for bypassers. My suspicion for sleevers who dump there may not be enough acid available to break it down, but this is a non-medical opinion only. It can make you feel sick, dizzy, having palpitations, gut pains and sitting on the loo until it passes. It can be all or only some of the above. Or it can make you feel sleepy.

Also from talking to bypassers and sleevers, my understanding is that bypassers will dump on the same thing regardless, whereas sleevers may find it a little random, but again, that's more anecdotal than fact - maybe Sharon can weigh in there.

My suspicion for sleevers who dump there may not be enough acid available to break it down, but this is a non-medical opinion only.

I am not an expert either Yvessa, but I thought that simply not having enough stomach lining is actually perhaps (?) the biggest factor that affects dumping.

e.g. -- for normal people *every* centimetre of stomach lining / intestine is used in absorbing food / drinks / calories / nutrients etc etc ...

For those of us (sleevers and bypassers) who have had a major anatomical re-arrangement / re-section of the (a) stomach and / or (b) intestines, what we end up with is:

-- much much less square inches / millimetres / centimetres of stomach lining / intestine left available to *absorb* stuff ..... and for high sugar foods (and sometimes high fat foods) the amount of sugar ingested exceeds the amount of stomach lining available to absorb it

-- when the amount of sugar (or fat) consumed exceeds the limits of the intestinal / stomach lining's ability to absorb, what it cannot absorb it "dumps" ..... = 'rapid gastric emptying' of things it cannot cope with.

=========================

I also remember Caren posted a really informative post about dumping / rapid gastric emptying some time ago -- I will try to find it for the benefit of DaddyMack (and others) who enquired on this thread ..... back soon [off to do an "advanced search" thingy] :)

Dumping = Rapid Gastric emptying

The useful info from Caren on reply to another thread some time ago:

WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - Dumping?

and Blue Peter style 'here's one I did earlier' -- here's a post I made some months ago (when I was doing my reading and research which has now escaped me -- you know how it is when we just end up 'living with the thing' on a day to day basis including living with dumping)

WLSurgery.com - Weight Loss Surgery Support - View Single Post - Do sleevers dump?

As a relatively new sleever I was starting to get worried about " dumping " but I have to say the biggest "THANK YOU " to Sharonimo and Yvessa for forewarning me and other new sleevers about this relatively common syndrome. The advise is invaluable. The biggest lesson seems to be eat slowly and give yourself plenty of time to eat and digest your meals and stay away from excess fats and sugars. Once again Ladies, on behalf of all new sleevers thank you for your assistance and clarification

Last edited:
The biggest lesson seems to be eat slowly and give yourself plenty of time to eat and digest your meals and stay away from excess fats and sugars.

Everyone's experience and tolerance level (in relation to dumping) is different but, for me, I can report that things that are "too high" in sugar are:

-- apple juice
-- orange juice (probably any pure/concentrated fruit juice)
-- ice cream
-- Slimfast and other protein shakes (can just about tolerate but do give me 'mild' dumping like hot sweats and dizziness)
-- flapjacks **

** Or one particular flapjack I tried some months ago was a very sugary specimen with a very high GI level (sugar that hits the system straight away).

Have also heard about a sleever dumping on:

-- fresh pineapple (pieces)

(So again be wary of high sugar fruit and fruit juices.... but I am fine with low GI bananas.)

I have found many other foods (that do contain sugar but lower GI) to be fine including:

-- Belvita and Digestive biscuits
-- small occasional amounts of chocolate (not sure if there is something about the way that milk choc is made that makes it slightly lower GI than, say, ice cream)
-- wafer type bars
-- sweetened porridge

Some of us avoid mentioning too much online exactly *what* has (or has not) caused us these problems for fear that Aunty Karlos will come along and give us an ear bashing for having *dared* to try out all those naughty things in the first place :eek: :eek: :eek:..... but I don't think any of us are eating tonnes of rubbish carbs every day -- but in the course of "normal life" it is pretty normal 3 - 6 months post op to start 'trying' things again (things that you used to like, or palatable treats that are being eaten in company in a social setting etc) -- and it is in these occasional 'try-out' times that we find what works and what doesn't.

I don't get dizzy or palpitations or even diarrhoea and vomiting, but I do get quite bad abdominal pain if I eat certain foods. Ice cream does have that effect on me, even ice cream made with fruit sugar which I make for hubby, which supposedly is low GI, (he's diabetic). I can eat chocolate no problem at all. (sigh!). But I get that pain if I eat certain meats eg beef like steak, so that's nothing to do with sugar.

Hiya, I had a band converted to a sleeve 7 weeks ago. I have discovered I can't tolerate chocolate, choc biscuits and fresh orange juice. I get a sudden wave of nausea and cramps. I was told that was dumping. It has put me off those foods which can only be a good thing! :)

I've had a wrap and can generally tolerate anything.

Having not had anything today until 2.30pm, I succumbed to a hot pasty. I from about 4pm I was I'll and had to go to bed. Rarely eat carbs and normally always low fat content. Only ever had this once before and it was also after having pastry.

Never, ever again ...

Back