• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair falling out

barbara W

Hi,
I had my sleeve back in march, i've not lost very much weight, but i have an underactive thyriod so im guessing thats the problem, all of a sudden my hair has started to fall out, and im quite worried about it, can i do anything to help this stop.
Babs

Hello barbara,
sorry to read about your hair loss I started to shed some hair mostly at the back its roughly about 2 knuckles worth left but you cant really see it but I know its there I read on here and was told at my meetings that this might happen there is from what I understand not a great deal you can do other than take your multi vitamins eat well and let nature do the rest
im sure others will pass on advise

I don't think much will stop it to be honest it's a side effect we all seem to get, mine stopped coming out at about 9 months out and it's fine now. I've got a straw bush for hair anyway so not much could effect it..thankfully it's very thick so I didn't notice it. It does stop so for now to u will just have to wait until it stops...
Sorry you haven't lost much weight, it's a long journey though one day at a time!

Hi, I had my sleeve back in march, i've not lost very much weight, but i have an underactive thyriod so im guessing thats the problem, all of a sudden my hair has started to fall out, and im quite worried about it, can i do anything to help this stop. Babs

hi Barbara

Do you take Thyroxine for your under active thyroid?

I have also got an UT and it's the Bain of my life. I was sleeved last week and I'm hoping to lose six stone.

Hope your hair loss improves.

Take care

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Can anyone recommend a supplement for hair loss? I know it is a side effect (heard about it when I did LL) and a few people then took a supplement. It is simply down to the calories that are being consumed and hair growth is less of a priority to our bodies that muscle and organ maintenance.

Can anyone recommend a supplement for hair loss? I know it is a side effect (heard about it when I did LL) and a few people then took a supplement. It is simply down to the calories that are being consumed and hair growth is less of a priority to our bodies that muscle and organ maintenance.

The normal advice is to ensure you get as much protein as possible. It will grow back a few months down the line and seems to be one of those side effects we just need to live with for the time being. I lost 9 stone with my band and did lose some but advice I got was not to stress and eat protein. Stress can be another factor in hair loss anyway.

Good on you.

I have become obsessed with protein. Buying soups today, instead of looking at Kcals like previously I am now looking at protein :)

Thanks for help and yes i do take Thyroxine 50mg a day, i have only lost 4lb since April, its very, very, slow going.

my nurse suggested I take Nails,Skin,Hair supplements. I am not taking them (not religiously because also taking 2 Centrums a day too) it might help. I had my operation just before you and my hair started coming off two weeks ago, still coming off... hope it will settle soon and will re-grow. side effects of weight loss I am afraid.
good luck.

Hi

I am 8 month out, and hair was coming out in chunks
I was told eat plenty of protein. But I have found using Aussie Miracle moist shampoo from Boots, is working for me and now my hairs growing quite quick and getting thicker.

May try that when the damage starts to happen. Went through it once before on LL, and it did eventually grow back but I have a thick old mane of it .

I lost mine doing slim and save and also doing Atkins. It usually starts about 3 or 4 months after you start the diet (or the op), but the good news is by the time it's falling out the new hair is already growing. It's the new hair that is pushing the old hair out.
I think I remember something like Silica being good for hair and nails?

Back