• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

Grace

I'm now 16 weeks post-op 1, and almost 8 weeks (on Friday) post-op 2. (For those of you who don't know me, I had the complications of a perforated gut at 8 weeks post-op and ended up very ill with second major open surgery.)

This last week my hair has begun falling out. I mean REALLY falling out. It was there before, but now I don't want to brush it because so much comes out every time I do.

It's not the end of the world, I know. I'm not heartbroken and did expect it; though not, I have to admit, in quite such an extreme way. I know it will grow back eventually; but my hair is very long and I don't want to have it cut short. That wouldn't suit me at all.

I've got a prescription from my GP for Zinc, 200mgs, as this is what is suggested on my dietician's sheet, but can anyone suggest anything else which may help?

Otherwise I guess I may have to invest in some tasteful hats!

Many Thanks
Grace xxx

Awww Grace... you have been through so much and being so unwell does cause such a dramatic change in your hair....

As you know I've had chemotherapy and I used the man's thickening shampoo to help me through I know it won't work for everyone but it helped me... I would have a short cut and get the strength back into your roots Grace... and give it some time... it's very early days for you and you have been so poorly....

I have also had a wig when my hair came out but it's very strong again now and I'm still using the men's shampoo, it suits me and my hair is kept reasonably short...

Loving, comforting hugs... you are beautiful inside and out... who needs hair Grace!

Love you xxx

Thanks Bev. I just can't face having my hair cut short. I know it's pathetic, but its almost down to my waist and I just don't want to lose it.

I will try the shampoo though lovely.

I know it could be so much worse: I was only saying to hubby last night, I could have cancer and not have any hair. So I do honestly count my blessings.

Thanks again for your advice.

Love you.
Grace xxx

Babe i'm afraid that the hairloss is inevitable, the longer it is the more appears to fall out, i started with long hair and had it all cut off!.......It will stop probably at around 6/7 months post op and u will look absolutely stunning I PROMISE XXX

Reactions: Bev
Grace, this is something i noticed a while ago. Someone recommended zinc and selenium on here a while ago. Think you get it from health shops...

I had a similar thing with my hair, although not long by any account it was a reasonable bob. I lost quite a bit of the thickness and the last few weeks the ends looked like straw so i went and had a bit cut off and it seems to feel a whole lot better.... But, if i had hair your length i'd not want it cut either.... Could you not be a bit of a minger and put it in plaits for the day and not brush it as much as usual? As well as strengthening shampoo of course xx

Hi Grace, I would recommend this shampoo, may seem a little pricey but you only use a TINY amount:

Kérastase - Scalp and hair In-salon Rituals to achieve beautiful results

in particular:

Kérastase Spécifique: for specific scalp and hair concerns

Wash, massage the hair with palms, rinse, squeeze out excess water, apply more shampoo, leave for a few mins, apply a little water, lather and massage scalp with fingertips then rinse off.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm teaching you how to wash your own hair but this is the recommended way to use this product and depending on where you buy it, you don't always get the instructions.

Its also important to rest your hair, so if you are having a few days at home, wash your hair with the above shampoo, never brush when wet, allow to dry naturally (heat damage will really speed up breakage and loss) and don't put any products on it.

For supplements:

Solvazinc 125mg diluted in a small amount of water x 2 or 3 times a day:

Buy Solvazinc Tablet 3x30, £19.99, Zinc Products, Online Pharmacy

Silica Complex x 2 a day and Biotin x 2 a day, both highly recommend on US WLS forums, available here:

Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride | Puritan UK

The Silica Complex tablet is big but crumbly and the Biotin capsule can be opened so both can be taken with a little yoghurt, milk or Actimel if you think you may not manage them after the op.

Protein is very important for hair growth and re-growth.
MY PROTEIN Impact Whey has a great taste:

Whey Protein | Sports Nutrition | Supplements | Bodybuilding Supplements | Protein Supplements - Myprotein)

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Hi Grace... I agree with Nadine... give it time you'll look stunning... plus Julie's idea of a restyle for long hair sounds good too.

The shampoo I use won't work for all, but I can only say it's helped to thicken my hair post treatment. I'm still on chemotherapy (pill) form, so even after the injections... it's affecting my hair.

It is to be expected... alongside nail weakness and some skin changes... but we must always make the most of what we have and do the best of with what we are given...

You're beautiful inside and out and just do your best, but don't dwell or worry about it... come the summer when you are able to eat rich fish and enjoy natural plus the vitamins in synthetic form, it going to be a very different story.

The main thing as I see it precious, is using these months to build your strength without pressure and building your reserves after such an awful year with your health.

Love you and take very good care xxx

You have been through enough already so i'm sorry you are having this now. I was lucky not to lose any and all ive ever used are skin, hair and nails tablets from Asda. That said i also re vamped my style and went shorter it took a bit of getting used to but i quite like it now! Only thing my hairdresser said was the more you worry the greater the hair loss and thats the hard part trying not to worry! Big hugs xx

Grace, this is something i noticed a while ago. Someone recommended zinc and selenium on here a while ago. Think you get it from health shops...

I had a similar thing with my hair, although not long by any account it was a reasonable bob. I lost quite a bit of the thickness and the last few weeks the ends looked like straw so i went and had a bit cut off and it seems to feel a whole lot better.... But, if i had hair your length i'd not want it cut either.... Could you not be a bit of a minger and put it in plaits for the day and not brush it as much as usual? As well as strengthening shampoo of course xx

LOL Julie that's what I've been doing! Being a minger!:D But then when I brush it at night before plaiting it up again, I lose a couple of brush-fulls!

I guess it's just inevitable and it'll stop eventually.

Thanks for your advice though.
Hugs
Grace xxx

i have long hair too and have a couple of brushfuls every day and so much more when I wash it :( as any hairdresser will remind us we lose 100 - 150 hairs a day naturally even without our tummies being replumbed but, as my son's girlfriend (another hairdresser) quite rightly pointed out, it seems so much more when you have long hair as it wraps and wraps itself round the brush

i have long hair too and have a couple of brushfuls every day and so much more when I wash it :( as any hairdresser will remind us we lose 100 - 150 hairs a day naturally even without our tummies being replumbed but, as my son's girlfriend (another hairdresser) quite rightly pointed out, it seems so much more when you have long hair as it wraps and wraps itself round the brush

Thanks for that. Maybe it does look worse being so long...but I dread brushing because it's coming out ALL the time!
But I'm going to try not to worry - as Allie says, that will make it worse.

Hi Grace

This happened to me quite badly. I had plug holes full of hair every time I washed it and I think I could knit a sweater if I spun up the contents of my Dyson!

I started taking zinc with vitamin C and silica, on my dietician's advice and it strated to grow in again.

I'm 8 months post op now and my hair is growing back well. I had to keep my hair cut quite short as it's very thin at the ends, but I have about 3 inches of new growth from the roots. The only thing is, my hair is/was super-straight and my new hair seems to be a different texture - almost wavy!

I'll take what I can get! :rolleyes:

Oh dear Grace now panic not and no don't cut it if you like it long. It will thin and yes in handfuls, mine did from 6 weeks so you've done well this far. I use selnium and zinc like above and the shampoo but I think if you are someine that does suffer hair loss it won't stop it completelybut does strengthen and condition it ready to regrow back. Better brushing and getting the dead hair out. It might last as long as 3-6 months but it does come back. Mine is back with a vengance but I still use the selium etc as it makes it so shiny.

Take care

M

im 7 months post op now and am still losing hair, but cos its fairly short, it dosnt look too dramatic. i notice it more in the shower, it ends up all over the shower area, and also stuck all over me too, it takes me ages to get it off, but the only real difference ive actually noticed is that it isnt quite as thick at the back and on my crown. im just waiting for it to settle down, but im not worrying over it, at least not yet anyway.

You have been through enough already so i'm sorry you are having this now. I was lucky not to lose any and all ive ever used are skin, hair and nails tablets from Asda. That said i also re vamped my style and went shorter it took a bit of getting used to but i quite like it now! Only thing my hairdresser said was the more you worry the greater the hair loss and thats the hard part trying not to worry! Big hugs xx

I've never seen these tablets in Asda, is that the name of them please Allie?

I'm a great believer in stress making your hair worse... so whatever you do... try and de-stress to help yourself... it's a catch 22, I know, but as the better weather comes in 2011 and we start to get a feeling of 'well being' back it will help...

Take care Grace and given what you have gone through I think you are making remarkable progress Angel...

Warm hugs and love xxx :wave_cry:

:grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg:

Thanks Allie, I'll look out for them. Hope you are doing ok Angel... love and hugs xxx

Well I've just had a lovely warm bath....and left half my hair behind!
Honestly, my wet hair got caught on my shoulder, and as I moved it, a hank about a finger thick just came away.

I may have to re-think the hair cut. I'm going to try the extra zinc, better shampoo etc and give it a month.

Grace xxx

Back