• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss help!

cld86

Hi everyone, I had a gastric sleeve in July and been very sick since. I am awaiting an endoscopy to try find the problem but in the mean time im not eating much some days nothing at all. Even protien shakes are hard to keep down. Anyway my hair is now falling out in clumps! I'm too scared to brush it! I am weak and I feel shocking so I'm sure it's all nutrition related but feel like I'm going to be bald by Christmas if I don't do something now. Any advice would be appreciated? Thanks x

Hi cld, that does sound diet related, but if you cant eat you will struggle to turn that around. Are you able to get any vitamins down?
Sorry you have had problems with your sleeve.

I was originally given forcaval but they made me sick now I've just started taking centrum. Really struggling at the moment, playing the waiting game. I've been in and out of doctors, A& E but not getting very far ( from the sickness not hair loss lol) . I just do t really know what to do ..

Oh that's awful I hope they find the answer, it's bad enough trying to recover and start your new lifestyle but to be sick all the time. I take centriums, a bit b12 which is tiny and then suck able calcium. I'm still on with yoghurt for breakfast they are good for you.
It's fatty fish you need for the omega for your hair but you won't fancy eating that if you aren't well.

I really feel for you....after my bypass, I seriously lost A LOT of hair....I took my vitamins, ate the right things, but still it came out. I had it cut short, and carried on with all the vitamins and minerals they recommend for hair loss.....and just sort of waited it out.

If you think about it, the operation is a massive insult on our bodies, and its just doing what its supposed to and keep all the vital organs, skin, teeth bones etc healthy. The weight loss mess's with our hormones as well, so that's another reason.....people that have other major surgery, hysterectomy, bowel resections or spend a long time in intensive care all have this issue.

It will stop and get better once your weight loss slows down and your body starts to recover.

ZXXX

Thankyou for the advice, im will go to Holland and Barrett see I'd they have anything for me. I prepared for hair loss but not this bad. I'm sure things will improve eventually. Managed to keep a complan down today :) x

Hi cld, sorry to read your having problems. My consultant told me to get zinc tablets for hair loss. I have been taking them for a while and I have to say it has stopped.

It fell out for only 3 months in total, from 3-6 months post op. Whether that was luck or the tablets I dont know but may be worth a try xx

Yes hairloss goes with the territory. Try to only wash it once a week , and not brush. The body goes into ketosis to use up our fat stocks ... This is why our breath stinks and hair falls out. Three to six months post op. It will stop. Mine is growing back now.

Back