• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair thinning or loss anyone??

everpositive

Hi

There have been loads of plus points since having my bypass and whilst I occasionally pine for certain aspects of my old 'fat' life, I dont regret it at all. As well as the obvious weight loss, increase in confidence, improved sex life, increased energy, improved mobility, my complexion is much better. I was plagued with a spotty face which has stopped. The one thing I have noticed which is a concern is that my hair does seem to be thinning. I dont know if thats the correct term though. I've always had fine hair but I am noticing that I lose a hell of a lot when I wash and dry my hair. I feel its quite noticeable but of course everyone just says it isnt. Has anyone else exeperienced this and what additional suppliments on top of the ones I'm on should I look at to improve this?

THanks guys :wave_cry:

It's very common after surgery. Normally starts 3-4 months post op and lasts around 6 months. You can get selenium (selenase) and zinc (zincasol) on script which might help, or just ride it out. If you stick with decent muti-vits and minerals and eat a sensible diet it won't last long.

Hi Claire have you started to take Zic and Selenium? They are highly recomended or hairloss. I haven't had any yet but started to take them just incase.
Good luck

My surgeon mentioned this recently...he said it will come back and he never known it to not come back...when someone asked him about supplements to prevent or improve hair loss, he said there is nothing really but to eat lots of protein.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

The doctor at Weight Management told me about it....he said that it was an overall thinning - not patches. He said I wouldn't need a wig! No-one really know what causes it - rapid weight loss, effects of the anaesthesia, hormones - but it doesn't last long and, apparently, the hair doesn't always grow back as it was before....it can be curlier or straighter! Marion xx

The doctor at Weight Management told me about it....he said that it was an overall thinning - not patches. He said I wouldn't need a wig! No-one really know what causes it - rapid weight loss, effects of the anaesthesia, hormones - but it doesn't last long and, apparently, the hair doesn't always grow back as it was before....it can be curlier or straighter! Marion xx

Hi Zetacatty

You strike a good point there as my surgeon also said that too rapid a weight loss will affect the 'joins' at surgery...he was finishing up at the time so I did not ask him to elaborate on this any further.

I lost a lot of hair whilst doing Lighter life and Cambridge...it all came back after a few weeks...just took a while to catch up with the rest of it...lol.

(((hugs)))

I have always had fine hair all my life and since having the bypass it has gone thinner as everytime i wash my hair it does come out quite a bit, but its not noticable, I have been taking Biotin & Selenium plus my othe vitamins daily since the day of my Op, but not made much differance, But then again it could have been much worse if i hadn't taken them. Its just normal to lose hair with rapid weightloss and it will eventually be much more stronger and healthier than before.

I'd say make sure you get plenty of protein, when you're eating at a large caloric deficit that makes it even more important. I'd shoot for 100g+ of protein per day. Also, a good quality multivitamin, and fishoil supplements. I'd recommend as much as 10x1000mg capsules daily.

Back