• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anybody else...

had a problem with an existing condition - getting worse as weight comes down??

As I posted in my intro - I suffer from Osteo and the reason for the question is that over the last month - when my weight pre-op has started to come down albeit slowly (5lb in 3wk), I've been having more problems in a certain area affected by Arfur (my nickname for the osteoARFURitis)

dont get me wrong, am used to having the extra bit of pain when weather is crap or if am run-down a little and have been making sure my meds (butrans patches) are changed whenmeant to be.. but at the moment - am really suffering and I wondered whether anyone else - with ANY condition.. has had similar problems.. I dont really want to approach GP at the minute because my op is nxt week and by hook or by crook - I'm going through with it !

I've come too far to back down now.. thanks to any replies in advance.. will be interesting to know..

I would suggest getting your meds checked when you can get back to your GP, as you say you want to do this after the op and your situation wont get radically worse in a few weeks thats probably your best bet. I Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and Ive been getting a lot more flare ups in the last few weeks since surgery (and loosing nearly 2 stone) when I spoke to my GP about it he said it was due to the change in my weight and the amount of drugs I now need. He told me when your loosing weight rapidly your body goes into a shock and deals with things differently to normal in some cases but not to worry it would sort its self out. I altered my medication timetable (what take when each day) and I have been a lot better so it may be as simple as that.

Anyway big hugs and even bigger hugs for being brave and getting your surgery done so soon xxxx

hiya, like mrs cakeybun says pehaps as your body is going into shock and that is why your pain has increased? i suffer with fibromyalgia and have recently had my gastric band fitted but found i had just come out of a flare up as i started the pre-op diet and just started on the butrans patches the week before the op so found my pain eased. what level of patches are you on? could you increase them or any other pain med before the op? or perhaps the worry of the op is also increasing your pain?

sorry to hear you are suffering so much as you like me are probably doing the op to try and ease your condition, not make it worse!
hope all goes well with your op and your pain becomes more manageable. x

hiya.. erm.. am on 20microgram butrans patches a week ( 2 x 10micrograms), been told already by GP when I got boosted to the 20 that if I need to go up any further then may need to be seen by consultant at hospital beforehand and at the minute - I dont have the time to wait for that appointment to decide to turn up..

so at the moment - am using a heat gel to ease the muscular pain and letting the butrans do its job.. hadn't thought much about the pain still being the same but not actually feeling it as badly because of the weight tbh.. makes sense though.. suppose it means will just have an excuse now to hog the bathroom and have nice long soaky baths with radox in to help ;).. oh well..

Mands

Back