• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anybody had sleeve surgery at St Peters hospital in Chertsey?

Ruby2110

I have got got through T3 and am waiting for my appointment to see a consultent to discuss surgery options. I really want the sleeve but do not know anyone who has had it there and would love to hear from anyone who could tell me about their experience.

Many thanks in advance.:)

chriswattz

Hi start pre op diet tomorrow then sleeved on 26 November. Scared about getting a staple leak.
My Surgeon is Mr Ahmed Hamouda at Nuffield Tunbridge Wells. Has any other sleevers had Mr Hamouda?

Weeb

Hi Ruby

It went well I had mr Irukalla at St Peters, he did a great job, was friendly and seemed to have a good team, the nurses were fine and I quite like the bariatric nurse - tash.

Ruby2110

Hi Weeb,
I am so pleased everything went well. Hope you are coping well with the liquids only.
I have so many questions I want to ask but don't want to bombard you!
Hope you are home now and taking it easy.

So very pleased for you.
��

Last edited:

Weeb

Don't worry about Bombarding I will answer bit by bit. As for taking it easy three small kids, two jobs and a busy husband no chance. Saturday I made a birthday party with my four your old. Yesterday I made it to the remembrance sunday service and parade and took the kids to the park. Today, back at work from home, see how long i hold out.

K

Ruby2110

Don't worry about Bombarding I will answer bit by bit. As for taking it easy three small kids, two jobs and a busy husband no chance. Saturday I made a birthday party with my four your old. Yesterday I made it to the remembrance sunday service and parade and took the kids to the park. Today, back at work from home, see how long i hold out.

K

Oh my lord, you have been busy! Hopefully you are managing to find some time to rest though, I've heard of some people who have been off work for weeks recovering so hope you are taking it as easy as you can.

I have been told that the ward at StPeters is quite small. Is this correct? Also how are you managing on liquids only?

Best wishes R

Weeb

HI Ruby

Really surprised how quickly I am back to normal, treated myself today and had my nails done. Feeling lovely, I realise I have already lost 20% of my excess weight :) Yesterday , I had not choice as I don't work and I needed to care for my kids, i wore my fitbit and after three round trips to school and a quick trip to M&S for some warm PJ's I found I had walked 12 kms.

I had a side room but yes the ward was not huge, doesn't really matter as unlike some places you go as a larger person the staff are really un-judgemental and very friendly about weight loss surgery.

The pre op diet was tough I was hungry, but the post op is easy because I don't feel very hungry at all and if i do a small yoghurt or a glass of milk and I am fine.

I initially was eating soup etc, but i am best if I drink milk products, so I drink slim fast, milkshakes and yogurts. All fine. A couple of times I have had a whole milk drink as I often find it hard in the morning to get going on the food and I have found a few more calories helps me drink more. I seem to eat about 500 calories a day :)

I have been surprised how quickly I have recovered quicker than a c- section.

How are you doing?

K

Ruby2110

I am so pleased that you are doing so well. 20% excess off already, that's fantastic!!!! I am so pleased for you.
I am still waiting for my letter with a date for my Consultant appointment. I dont know who my consultant is yet but understand that both of the two who work from St Peters are good. I am so excited! I know that maybe I should be worried about surgery but I really see it as a new begining.

Weeb

Thats exactly how I saw it. My surgeon was lovely so I hope you get him. It feels amazing now its done, I am suffering from morning shakes which I think is low sugar levels and protein cravings - i obsess over a steak or a chicken breast :) but otherwise i hardly now I have had an operation, no painkillers after day 3, back on my normal medication in tablet format. 48 hours of pain and discomfort was definitely worth this.

K

Ruby2110

Wow! You are making an amazing recovery. I've heard some people say that they were off work for 6 weeks!
I hope the morning shakes have subsided and you are no longer craving meat. I wonder if protein shakes would help, or are you already having them?
I was just thinking, we may have met if you attended the tier 3 sessions?
How long is it now until you start sloppy food?

R

Weeb

thanks mate

this weekend I went to a conference in a smart hotel in London everything functioned. I have started on the protein shakes as I know i need more, the shakes are ok, i do find the ones made in the cafe near our house our nicer but I have started adding diet whey protein to yoghurt and from tomorrow porridge to get my protein uptake increased. Being honest Ruby I can't not believe how well I am, i even went to a formal dinner, I did ask for a special diet and had the soup with everyone for starter missed my second course and then they made me a special yoghurt for pudding. Drinks was a challenge, but i had 1/3rd cranberry and 2/3rds plain water and that was very nice.

I am eating a bit more and the morning shakes have resolved. I just can't believe how amazing I feel, my clothes are loser, I had my hairstyle changed and i am in my mid forties and one of my work contacts who had never met me, only spoke to me on the phone said they could not believe I was the person they spoke to because I looked to young, they thought I was thirty and couldn't be the person they were looking for.

still as I said on the other post its the blokes that made me laugh, they just stopped starred, looked embarrassed and then muttered about my new hair cut.

I didn't do the tier 3 sessions, bit of a long story to do with other health issues I had, but I am going to go to the bariatric buddies session next week if you are (subject to my work meeting finishing in time)

k

Ruby2110

Hi K,

I am really amazed at how quickly you have recovered. What an inspiration you are!!
I have read so often that people totally avoid going out to eat for months after surgery and I have always wondered why, so it's great to hear that you are not letting your new bananna belly (which is what I tell my husband I am going to have) stop you going to food focused events.

I think the mens reactions are so funny. Men- what are they like!

I have just noticed how much weight you have lost so far - fantastic!

I don't think I can go to the buddy sessions until after surgery which is a shame but hay hoo.

I really can't wait for my appointment with the consultant to come through, I'm wishing the days away which is something I never usually do.

Have you told many of your friends and family about your surgery?

Weeb

Hi Ruby

I have just got on with it, i know I have been lucky but I had no choice really, kids needed me, team at work needed me, husband was grumpy.

I can't avoid eating socially, but I am amazed how easy it is to just take soup or a hot chocolate.

On telling people my family know, I was honest with the kids, my mum and dad and sisters were great. I have told my closest friends but as far as everyone else is concerned i just had laproscopic surgery.

My weight has been static for five days, but I think thats because I am taking more in, and my body shape is adjusting instead.

Role on your appointment, look forward to seeing if we have the same consultant

K

Ruby2110

Hi K,

I have just spoken to the someone re my appointment and it doesn't look like I will see anyone until mid to end of Januray. It's disappointing but there isn't really much I can do about it.

Oh well...... T

Weeb

Thats a shame. Poor you, still enjoy christmas and then it will be the new year and you should have your appointment. Jan isn't too long away :) how has your weekend been

k

Ruby2110

Yes, on a positive note it does mean that I won't be on the liver srinking diet over Christmas :) Saying that I have heard that people aren't getting surgery dates until a while after seeing the consultant now. I have spoken to a really helpful lady who makes the appointments and she said that she will let me know if there are any cancellations so you never know .
My weekends not been bad thanks, DIY Saturday with a friends birthday party in the evening and a mix of packing for work trip and chilling out today.
I hope you had a good weekend too?

Weeb

Maybe give her a ring regularly to keep you top of her mind :) . Liver shrinking over xmas would be tough - its bad enough doing it when there is little temptation.

I had a nice weekend, very busy, kids sport in the morning, then my youngest had a party, straight up to the school to help with xmas fair, home, made mince pies with my youngest and then the christmas pudding.

Sunday, went for a car test drive and then over to my mums for her birthday.

Back to work today and hoping to make the BB meeting this evening.

K