• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone ever gone the other way??

HoPe*87*

Hi all,
I was just curious as to if anybody has ever gone from being obese having weight loss surgery then ended up with an eating disorder? Or under weight? I was asked this lately and didn't know or haven't heard of anyone experiencing this.
Have you?

Thanks in advance :)

There was a patient on our ward some months ago who had gone from 22 st to being unable to stop losing weight , she wore size 6 & they were often baggy :(

There was a lady in the sun newspaper just before i had my op in november 2011... my mum got very worried about it so was against me having the op... but this lady was around 27 stone and she went down to about 5 and half stone and became anorexic... but hun these things are very rare and will only happen if you have this kind of disorder. When you get to maintaining.. ie goal weight... then you will eat to maintain.. ie upping calories etc. butthis lady stopped eating altogether and just ate a slice of bread a day x

My lady constantly ate , but made no difference the weight fell off , she still said she would do it again . It didn't put me off having the op as I knew it was very rare x

You know it's funny you should ask this. Since I've had my op I'm finding it so hard to eat and my interest in food is nil. If I hear people speaking about food it makes me feel sick. My daughter was eating some chocolate the other day and I smelt the sweet chocolate and I almost threw up. I'm so shocked that I feel like this, I thought that after my op, I'd still have all the desire for food, just that I wouldn't be able to eat much of it! I was also under the impression that I'd still crave all the crap that got me to this weight in the first place, but it's the exact opposite!
Maybe this phase will pass because I know I am a born greedy guts :D
But I will be super careful that I don't go the opposite way as my whole purpose for having this op in the first place is to improve my quality of life!

You know it's funny you should ask this. Since I've had my op I'm finding it so hard to eat and my interest in food is nil. If I hear people speaking about food it makes me feel sick. My daughter was eating some chocolate the other day and I smelt the sweet chocolate and I almost threw up. I'm so shocked that I feel like this, I thought that after my op, I'd still have all the desire for food, just that I wouldn't be able to eat much of it! I was also under the impression that I'd still crave all the crap that got me to this weight in the first place, but it's the exact opposite!
Maybe this phase will pass because I know I am a born greedy guts :D
But I will be super careful that I don't go the opposite way as my whole purpose for having this op in the first place is to improve my quality of life!

I felt like this aswell but i do feel hunger now and have done since about 3 months post op... but i only feel hungry when it is coming to meal times.

I feel like you fading grace. I'm worried about developing a fear of food. I've discussed this with my team, they are encouraging me to introduce new foods albeit slowly. Dietician wanted me to introduce some fruits. Tried 1/2 a mashed banana last night was Ok but 6 crushed raspberries in a small amount of yogurt tonight gave me such pain & felt sick. I don't want to do it gain especially as I'm never hungry. Fluids are no problem & I drink my 2 litres.

I feel like you fading grace. I'm worried about developing a fear of food. I've discussed this with my team, they are encouraging me to introduce new foods albeit slowly. Dietician wanted me to introduce some fruits. Tried 1/2 a mashed banana last night was Ok but 6 crushed raspberries in a small amount of yogurt tonight gave me such pain & felt sick. I don't want to do it gain especially as I'm never hungry. Fluids are no problem & I drink my 2 litres.
Awww, poor you. I'm not sure why you felt the pain after eating, but it might have happened if you ate too fast, or maybe you ate too much? I think are belly is only the size of a walnut now! Well it's good to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way, and as Rayne said it passed for her hopefully it will for us also :) One last point comes to mind, you're not drinking and eating at the same time are you? I just like to cover all bases! :p I find when I don't want to eat that I feel better if I nibble on a well chewed cracker with some cream cheese. Also, I enjoy drinking Actimel. I'm sure we just have to adjust to our new bodies and give it time because if we don't eat sensibly then we're only asking for health problems for the future :( Don't worry we can support one another and get over this little phase I'm sure x

Last edited:
Hi everyone!! Thanks for the replies I found it very interesting. As for u ladies not wanting to eat I also went through that phase and still often forget to eat but I now want to eat again so I'm sure it will pass. Please use this thread to share how ur feeling and use us and ur team for support xxx

Guys thanks for support. FG - not eating & drinking at same time ever. Yesterday I mashed the raspberries & added to a small amount of 0% Greek yogurt (normally tolerate this well). Only had 3 small teaspoons of it over 15 mins & it was not pleasant. I do think that I still may be eating too fast. Discussed with my Dietiian this week as I just can't get my head around trying to let my head catch up with my body. Thy suggest that it takes around 10 mins for your head to register that your tummy is full. I just want to get the food inside me for its nutrition as I don't really want it as not hungry. Weird feeling.

My lady constantly ate , but made no difference the weight fell off , she still said she would do it again . It didn't put me off having the op as I knew it was very rare x

Is it wrong to say what a lucky lady?! I know there would be medical consequences, but eh being able to eat what you like after being obese for years and it makes no difference to you weight?! WOW ! xx

I've finally got my appetite back! Woot woot! I found the reason why I wasn't managing to eat! It was turning appertizing meals into sloppy, pureed mush! So, now I am eating normal foods that can be eaten the eay the look. So things like soups, yogurts, cream crackers, cream cheese, chicken... all chewed up extremely well, and it's working for me I'm happy to say :D I'm getting in about 500 calories a day, I hope this is enough :z

OOnion said:
Is it wrong to say what a lucky lady?! I know there would be medical consequences, but eh being able to eat what you like after being obese for years and it makes no difference to you weight?! WOW ! xx

I know what you're saying , but she looked anorexic & was as obsessed about food as much if not more than we are

OOnion said:

That's what happened to me, chronic malabsorption. It is good at times having to eat all the bad foods, but if you feel I'll or nauseous then forcing yourself to eat is not fun. I've had some bad times after unrelated surgery etc when my weight has plummeted, meaning I've had to really work at getting more calories in when I feel physically very ill. Then there is the aspect that aswell as not absorbing the calories properly you don't absorb the vitamins and minerals properly, and are more prone to deficiencies than your average bypasser. Lastly, there is the long term effects on your body from living on junk food, not great for your gallbladder! It's a real balancing act, managing enough calories to maintain (for me around 3500 a day) without having too much sugar or fat.

So yes, at times it's a dream, but it's also a significant complication with some nasty consequences.

I was advised if you are still suffering chronic malabsorption by 2 years post op, it was extremely likely it will be a lifelong problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back