• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has Anyone?

northernwoody

Decided on a sleeve and not a band?

It was recommended to me for practical purposes as I live so far from the hospital for check-ups, fills, de-fills etc.

Thanks x

I originally went to the surgeon thinking "Band" but she advised that the band wouldn't help me achieve my goal and so the Sleeve was suggested. the more I looked into it the more I knew she was right. With my surgeon my eating habits determined what surgery was suggested. Band fills and de-fills are not something that are a last minute thing they would be discussed at follow up meetings.
Whichever option you and your surgeon choose you will need to go for check-ups anyway and I would be inclined to go for whichever option offers you the best chance of achieving your goal and not which one is least inconvenient. Please don't take my last comment the wrong way I only wish that you get what's best for you :)
The Sleeve for me has changed my life dramatically not just physically but mentally as well.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Hi woody when I first went into this I was wanting a band as feel a bypass was just too much risk as I have no co morb. Then I heard about a sleeve and done lots of research and realised this would be best for me. Their are pro's and con's for all surgery. The band is a less riskier surgery but more problems after op it might also take months to reach restriction where I wanted to see results pretty quick. The bypass is a riskier op but best for weight loss but have also got issues with dumping and didn't like the idea of bypassing intestine, if I had diabetes I would of had this op as it helps and most people don't need meds for it anymore. The sleeve is a good middle ground and people are having great weight loss results. But does tend to cause reflux and is only a new op it wasn't offered 3 years ago at rakelane when I first went. No long term results. It's meant to stop you feeling hungry which is my big downfall on diets as it takes alot to fill me lol. As I say these are my reasons for choosing a sleeve not a band. Just research research and more research and one will just seem a better choice. It is hard choosing and even though had never considered bypass after I seen the surgeon it was running through my mind lol. But I have every faith a sleeve will work for me and it's the best choice for me :) only 3 weeks 5 days to go. :) :) :) x x x

I have only started my journey and haven't had the appointment with the consultant yet but I was thinking aabout having a band but after the group seminar changed my mind and am now thinking of a sleeve. I have read and read and still looks like the choice but ultimately it will be decided in conjunction with the doctor and dietician I suppose.

Woody I decided on the sleeve for the following reasons:

I thought the bypass was too drastic and I only had about 4 stone to lose, not vast amounts.

The band with all its follow-up maintenance didn't appeal either. I also fly a lot, and my surgeon said the band didn't react well to air pressure in a plane, and also I'd need to be near somewhere I can get fills defills and the whole palava when abroad. The only possible plus for the band in my eyes is that it's reversible; but I didn't want it reversed and to be honest I have heard that having the band taken out completely is even more pricey than having it put in, so the best bet would be just to leave it in but unfilled.

All in all I wanted a maintenance free job that didn't replumb all my intestines. I must admit the thought of losing 80% of my beloved stomach was somewhat daunting but I thought "what do I need it for?" and went ahead.

I'm still at the being sicky stage 3 weeks post op, but have already lost 24lbs since pre op so am very pleased. If I had dieted alone I'd have been lucky to lose that much over 4 months, not 4 weeks.

My GP advised a band but when I saw the surgeon he said that he felt the bypass would be better for me re my type 2 diabetes and my eating habits. I immediately saw the sense in what he was saying and 7 weeks in I'm glad that I took his advice.

i was in the same situation as you hun.. i live in Milton Keynes which is 58 miles from Charing cross hospital where i had my op... Good luck with which ever option you take xx

Hubby and I went out for dinner tonight; first time since 2 weeks' pre op so that's five weeks ago. I was very worried having heard of other people being charged full price for a child's meal etc. I decided to tell the waitress upfront I had just had surgery and would only be ordering a starter. No bread, and no drink. She looked a little startled but it was fine.

It was a kosher restaurant, and I ordered liver paté. Hubby ordered chicken wings for his starter (known as buffalo wings for some reason!) and he gave me one. This was the first time I had tried chicken since the op. I took it carefully to bits, leaving the skin and eating tiny bits of the meat, and it was fine. As to the liver, I must have eaten less than a quarter of it, it was quite a big mound witha big pile of fried onions on top, which I was scared to eat due to my veggie issue, but I did try one and it didn't give me pain. However I gave the rest of the fried onions to hubby. They kept coming over and asking me if I was SURE I didn't want bread with my paté and I just smiled and said "quite sure thank you." So hubby got a meal and a half and the bill was half of what it usually was in that place. Oh and I met an acquaintance who said to me "Ruthie you're looking good!" without specifying why, but that was nice.

All in all no pain, and it was so nice just be out, people watching, even if I ate next to nothing.

Back