• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has your mind set changed since surgery??

jj87

So I'm sat here and have just ordered a Chinese. not necessarily hungry but cravING it. How has people's mind set changed since surgery. is it becoz u can not actully fit it in or no longer driven by food or that it has a hold over u. I'm sure once im in the process of the hospital appointment I will understand a lot more.. sitting here hating myself......

Thats the key @jj87 , your mindset won't change just because you have surgery - you have to change it!

Sounds simple but we all know it isn't.

Ask yourself why are you craving it, for reward maybe? these are the things we have to learn and will help us be successful.

Don't hate yourself but do try and understand what drives this xx

yh if it was so simple I would already be living the life I want....... it's like I want it so I will have it and don't think of the knock on effect it has both to my body and my mind and the people around me....

New day tomorrow. Thank you for your reply

It will click into place, either when you do the pre op diet and can only have milk or maybe even before? xx

I stopped craving a lot of food I loved because I had to give it up when it transpired I couldn't eat gluten anymore and a lot of gluten free food was miserable.
Then as I prepared for WLS I spent a long time considering with brutal honesty why I used food the way I did and also fully accepting that the only person responsible for what I put in my mouth was me. Someone else could upset me for example but it wasn't their responsibility if I binged it was my own.

After surgery I could hardly tolerate anything more than a couple of spoonfuls to start with and even now my portion sizes are still very small so when I decide what to eat now I have got used to automatically working out if it will give me the nutrients I need. When I have some of the things I enjoy but are lower in protein I am also comfortable with making that choice too and importantly I don't hate myself for any of my choices. If I feel they could have been better I make a note of it, figure out what was going on and work with it.

This is what makes me angry when people say WLS is the easy option, cheating or some kind of cop out. You have to work really really hard and be totally honest with yourself and take responsibility but it is 100% worth it. I am as comfortable as I've ever been in my own skin, confident in my own choices and I like myself :)

You had the take away, today is a new day and a fresh start, hating yourself gets you nothing but more misery. You can do this :)

thank you for your reply. Ive started my new day we'll and recieved my 1st letter but appointment but not till June. how was your 1st appointment?

Me? Honestly so long ago I can't remember I'm afraid.

thanks anyways. I'm so worried I won't be accepted or won't get funding secured really stressing me out

thanks anyways. I'm so worried I won't be accepted or won't get funding secured really stressing me out
All I can suggest is that you read people's diaries and experiences on here and work out what you can do to take some control of the process whilst you are waiting, and how others have coped with the stresses of waiting for the NHS to make a decision!

We have all been there in one way or another and have had to find ways to deal with the anxiety, which will only get worse if you are not able to take some control of it.

Back