• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Six months out from surgery!

Roberto84

Hi all!

I've been reading this forum since a few months before my surgery for a Mini Gastric Bypass in April of this year.
I found the whole forum not only deeply informative but very very inspiring. Reading people's stories of transformation and regaining health really confirmed to me that my choice of undergoing surgery was the right one!

I just wanted to share my story in the hopes that I too may inspire or reassure somebody reading who is also thinking about undergoing bariatric surgery.
My weight pre op was 165KG/26st and my BMI was almost 50. My waist was 56 inches, I had severe sleep aponea managed by cpap and stage three hypertension - I was in bad shape and worse I was struggling to play with my beautiful 2yr old daughter and was worried at 32yrs old that I wouldn't be around for the long term!

So I booked a Mini Gastric Bypass with Dr Chris De Bruyne in Belgium after a bit of research and reading some feedback here and elsewhere.
I had the operation in the middle of April this year and it all went great. No complications.
I took 8 weeks off work, I could have went back much much sooner physically but I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get used to the diet and make the lifestyle changes needed.

So fast forward five and a half months later and I've already passed my target weight! Was was aiming to become 16 stone-ish or around 100kg over two years but as of this morning I just hit 14 stone/98kg!!

My sleep aponea is cured, my blood pressure is now low normal and I'm wearing jeans with a 34 inch waist for the time since school and I can see stomach muscles for the first time ever!
My BMI has been cut in half and is now healthy/normal at 25.

I have so much more energy for my daughter and it has literally changed my life. Because this has happened so fast it's sometimes hard to understand in my mind that I've lost 12 stone of weight - I still sometimes think in my head that I'm still big and don't always recognise my reflection in shop windows and alike!

I would urge anybody thinking of undergoing bariatric surgery to really give it a chance - if you stick to the rules it will change your life.
My biggest tip to anybody in the months after surgery is to get into the habit very fast and start exercising. Take advantage of new energy you'll have and put it to use. I started cycling to work two months after my op and I returned. This is 20 miles a day and I believe that's why I've been able to lose as much as I have so far. Keeping your muscles in use means you will have less muscle wastage and that could mean less loose skin in some areas - something I've been lucky with for the most part.

I've put some before and after pics in the link to imgur below - apologies, I couldn't work out how to upload directly to the forum here itself!

Cheers for reading, Rob.

Before and after pics:

https://imgur.com/a/cLgG6

Hi and welcome!

Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational journey with us too xx

Such an inspiration Rob!

I started reading this feeling very similar, MGB, April Surgery, Dr Chris! I am almost surprised I didn't see you.

You look fantastic and by all accounts must feel it too, what an incredible amount of weight to lose in that time. Keep up the hard work. It's clear that this has been a huge success!

Thank you for sharing :)

Such an inspiration Rob!

I started reading this feeling very similar, MGB, April Surgery, Dr Chris! I am almost surprised I didn't see you.

You look fantastic and by all accounts must feel it too, what an incredible amount of weight to lose in that time. Keep up the hard work. It's clear that this has been a huge success!

Thank you for sharing :)

Hi! Thanks for the compliments - I do feel fantastic! You must too? :D

I looked at your post history to check - we had surgery the same day! It's possible I may have seen you whilst waiting for the X-ray of the stomach the next day but I'm not sure, I was still pretty out of it! Small world though!

You look amazing! What a transformation. I had a mini bypass last week, and stories like this are so inspirational. Thank you for sharing with us.

Hi! Thanks for the compliments - I do feel fantastic! You must too? :D

I looked at your post history to check - we had surgery the same day! It's possible I may have seen you whilst waiting for the X-ray of the stomach the next day but I'm not sure, I was still pretty out of it! Small world though!

Very small world indeed, I'm shocked! I only remember a small group of ladies & I was the only one having the MGB.. well so I thought! I was very much out of it the next day too so that fact you have a vague recollection amazes me!

I am feeling much better, loss has slowed down now but feeling very happy (although very envious of how much quicker men lose!). Regret not taking selfies at the start to do a comparison to share but back into my old clothes & back to normal size shops which is fantastic! I have another black tie at the end of next month (same as current profile picture) will be a year since the last one so will get some pictures to hopefully to show some differences! Over half way there so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Hi all!

I've been reading this forum since a few months before my surgery for a Mini Gastric Bypass in April of this year.
I found the whole forum not only deeply informative but very very inspiring. Reading people's stories of transformation and regaining health really confirmed to me that my choice of undergoing surgery was the right one!

I just wanted to share my story in the hopes that I too may inspire or reassure somebody reading who is also thinking about undergoing bariatric surgery.
My weight pre op was 165KG/26st and my BMI was almost 50. My waist was 56 inches, I had severe sleep aponea managed by cpap and stage three hypertension - I was in bad shape and worse I was struggling to play with my beautiful 2yr old daughter and was worried at 32yrs old that I wouldn't be around for the long term!

So I booked a Mini Gastric Bypass with Dr Chris De Bruyne in Belgium after a bit of research and reading some feedback here and elsewhere.
I had the operation in the middle of April this year and it all went great. No complications.
I took 8 weeks off work, I could have went back much much sooner physically but I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get used to the diet and make the lifestyle changes needed.

So fast forward five and a half months later and I've already passed my target weight! Was was aiming to become 16 stone-ish or around 100kg over two years but as of this morning I just hit 14 stone/98kg!!

My sleep aponea is cured, my blood pressure is now low normal and I'm wearing jeans with a 34 inch waist for the time since school and I can see stomach muscles for the first time ever!
My BMI has been cut in half and is now healthy/normal at 25.

I have so much more energy for my daughter and it has literally changed my life. Because this has happened so fast it's sometimes hard to understand in my mind that I've lost 12 stone of weight - I still sometimes think in my head that I'm still big and don't always recognise my reflection in shop windows and alike!

I would urge anybody thinking of undergoing bariatric surgery to really give it a chance - if you stick to the rules it will change your life.
My biggest tip to anybody in the months after surgery is to get into the habit very fast and start exercising. Take advantage of new energy you'll have and put it to use. I started cycling to work two months after my op and I returned. This is 20 miles a day and I believe that's why I've been able to lose as much as I have so far. Keeping your muscles in use means you will have less muscle wastage and that could mean less loose skin in some areas - something I've been lucky with for the most part.

I've put some before and after pics in the link to imgur below - apologies, I couldn't work out how to upload directly to the forum here itself!

Cheers for reading, Rob.

Before and after pics:

https://imgur.com/a/cLgG6
What a great success story Rob. Well done. :) Good to hear a story from a fella.

Well sone you, that's a fantastic loss!

Omg ! You lost 12 st in 6 months ! I'm impressed ! Wowsers .. Well done on it ! I bet you feel so much better about life and loving your renewed energy !
Again well done ..

Now that is impressive!

Back