• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have my Op date but, they changed the Op offered!

Just an update on all my fretting and anxiety over the past months.!
I was seen yesterday at my triple appointment and after having bloods, weight, general examination,etc...doctor said I wasn't big enough for my hospital (Guys and St.Thomas', London)to do a sleeve but, because I am ''light'' (I weigh 20st 10lbs), I can go in as a Day case and have a Gastric Band...and I will be done in June, sometime!
I tried to argue my case but, didn't want to seem ungrateful.
That was all a bit of a shock, he said the waiting list is longer for other procedures but, if the band doesn't work for me then they will consider a sleeve or by-pass but, he thinks I will do well with a band.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed but, have read loads of blogs and looked on YouTube,etc and have seen and read amazing losses, so am really excited now !

And I need not worry about funding as its the hospital who decides who gets the funding, so no need for a middle man ....excellent !:)

ive had a bypass... but hun there are plenty of banders here who have been very successfull with there bands. It could be the band help you lose all the weight you want to lose and then a sleeve or bypass wont be necessary xx

Absolutely agree with you, Raynebubble, I need to work with it and I know this is my last chance to become slimmer and I will.....can't wait to get it done and get on with my new, slimmer life !
Well done on your weightloss so far ! Amazing.

gawd, what a disappointment if you had your heart set on a sleeve :( but as Rayne said, there are lots and lots of successful people on here with the band, so good luck :) xxx

Absolutely agree with you, Raynebubble, I need to work with it and I know this is my last chance to become slimmer and I will.....can't wait to get it done and get on with my new, slimmer life !
Well done on your weightloss so far ! Amazing.

Thankyou very much x
your gonna have an amazing journey getting slimmer, and along the way you will make some new friends aswell..we are a nice bunch here xx

I wont lie and say I was over the moon, Caren and I did argue the fact that I was aware of people on WLS weighing less than me being offered Sleeves and By-Passes but , he just smiles and carried on talking !!
At least I know if the Band doesn't help me with losing weight, I have an appointment set up for next Feb to go back to this same doctor (part of Mr. Bothas team) and have the back up offer of a Sleeve, so it's a ''win win'' situation for me.
He was explaining that they had recently, done a By-Pass for a 55 stone man ! No wonder he called me ''light''....in comparison, I am but, in reality, I certainly am not !!

Read through some of the Banders posts and they have done amazingly well, it has really given me hope...can't wait to get going with mine.

Last edited:
Back