• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op assessments - are they all about the same?

Dell

My mind is working overtime, sorry guys, expect gazillions of questions from while I wait for my first appt on 3 November :eek:

I have read about sleep tests, psychological assessments, dieticians etc but wondered if this is across the board or only if deemed necessary?

I don't suffer from sleep apnoea, I have seen enough psychiatric and psychological people to last me a lifetime and no idea what a dietician is for - so wondering what the purpose is?

Only asking as I have to travel over an hour to get to all these appts as well as get 3 children to school and home again and work in between :eek: :D

Thanks guys and gals!
Dell
xxx

These appointments are all part of the WLS process and need to be attended. I dont suffer from Sleep Apnea but had to go through the test. You will probably have an ECG, Heart Echo, Psych assessment (depends if your consultant deems it necessary) + a miriad of other things. They have to assess your suitability for surgery and your fitness for anesthetic. The nutritionist is an essential part of all this. Some hospitals require you to lose weight prior to surgery and the nutritionist will advise you on the best way to achieve this by assessing your diet now and what it should be. He/She will also speak to you about eating post surgery as it will be hugely different from the way you eat now.

If you dont attend all these appointments, the likelihood is that you wont get your surgery.

Oh yeah, I will definitely attend! I work in the NHS and would never just not go to any appointments, I realise how important they are, I just wondered if it was a set protocol for every patient or if each consultant did things differently. I can't find anyone who has had the op in Hull, so can't ask directly iyswim.

i had consultant,dietician,anaeasthist and physch. pre op friday coming xx

Like people have said, it really does seem to vary from hospital to hospital. And to be honest, it even varies between surgeon and surgeon at the same hospital sometimes!

For example, I am under the same hospital that Snow Crystal is at and our journeys couldn't have been more different!

So far, I have done the following:
1) Before being accepted for the clinic after my initial referral by my GP, I had to complete a comprehensive questionnaire about my health and dieting history. This also included some questions clearly designed to show my psychological "fitness"
2) First clinic appointment with a member of the obesity clinic/bariatric surgery team (endocrinologist) he immediatly stated that he was going to put my name forward to the MDT and recommend surgery subject to ......
3) Blood tests and a sleep/oxygen test
4) My case was approved by the MDT and I was referred to the surgery team
5) Appointment with surgeon where we discussed the surgery options and I was put on the "waiting for a surgery date" list (I even signed by surgery consent forms :eek:)
6) Follow up appointment with the endocrinologist to check everything was going OK
AND
7) Wait by the letterbox for a date!

And that's it for me. No dietician. No psychologist. Not even any questions about funding! (And my surgeon didn't even tell me that I needed to go on the milk diet:D)

It's very nice having such a simple journey (so far - touch wood!) but it's also very scary because everyone else seems to have had so many more hoops to go through so what have I missed:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Good luck with your journey - whichever road you have to travel on!

love

TillyBob

hi,
ive not had th band yet but its booked for nov 6th
i had one appt with bariatric nurse, she took bloods(dnt actually no what they were for) and checked for mrsa, blood pressure, heartbeat.

then had appt with consultant.
that was it !

I have to have the sleep apnea test, psyc assessment and bike test (if my referral ever gets sent that is!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!)

I had the pre-op asses at birmingham heartlands 2 weeks ago, my op is in another 2 weeks and 3 days for the gastric band. I was only in there 20 mins and a nurse just checked my weight again, blood presure, mrsa swab, heartthingy and then 3 blood tests, so really simple! Got given some more paperwork to read about arriving at hospital on the day, afterwards and anesthetic and sent home!

Mine is similar to others, I've had one app with the surgeon, then on Monday I will meet with the dietician, psychologist and consultant physician for bloods/ecg. Another app with either the psych or dietician (can't remember which!) on 15th Oct, last meeting with the surgeon after that, and then all being well bypass on Nov 7th!

Oh and had loads of forms to fill in before I first met the surgeon re family history, mental health etc. All been straightforward so far.

Good luck with your op,

Cuppacocoa xx :talk017:

Back